Team Chevelle banner

Anyone try the Holley Sniper EFI yet?

54K views 129 replies 27 participants last post by  toofastforyou 
#1 ·
I was checking this out, looking to go back to EFI on my stepside, and the price seems pretty reasonable. Does anyone have any feedback one way or another on this?

https://www.holley.com/products/fue...sniper_efi/sniper_4bbl_tbi_kits/parts/550-510

My truck was originally TBI until I swapped it to a carb and HEI back when I dropped the ZZ4 from my Chevelle in it. I am still running the factory in-tank TBI pump with a bypass regulator set to 6 PSI for the carb, so plumbing wouldn't really be too much of an issue. It'd just be a matter of opening it up to full pressure from what I gather, since the Holley TB has an internal regulator, or eliminating it all together. I'm just not sure if this system is worth the money. If not, is there a better option? I just want simple, reliable, and affordable. This truck is just a commuter/hauler. Thanks.

#2 ·
Steve, they just started shipping them very recently, so doubtful that anyone has used one AND can give any sort of worthwhile review....

I do know that if FiTech's crappy service does not get at least somewhat better in the very near future, then I'll probably get one of these Chinese setups to replace the Chinese one I have been patiently dealing with for the last 10 months...

#9 ·
So that accurate information is out there on the www....., The Holley Sniper isn't a "Chinese" product. There may be a few components that came from China as is the case with about anything these days, but the ECU, Handheld, machining, most all of the components, assembly, and design are all done at Holley, same as with their Holley EFI products. The Sniper shares much of the same technology that the Holley HP and Dominator ECU's use.

#3 ·
I just want simple, reliable, and affordable. This truck is just a commuter/hauler. Thanks.
The FiTech works for what you want to do, but the Holley Sniper should have better support and maybe better documentation. Plus Holley isn't going belly up anytime soon.

I know you can get two out of three of those requirements with either one. Simple and affordable.

My guess is they are probably the same in a lot of ways with only a different user interface on the handheld.

I might get one just for grins after I get a few honey do's out of the way.

Reactions: haughty
#6 ·
I downloaded the installation guide, and they state I'll need a 60 psi pump. The confusing part is, if I bring up the kit, they include a 12-920 holley EFI pump.

The specs on this pump on their site state:

Free Flow per/hr. = 80 Gallons / 303 Liters / 480 Pounds at 15 psi
Free Flow per/hr. = 67 Gallons / 255 Liters / 404 Pounds at 45 psi
Draws 5 amps at 15 psi

So, apparently this isn't a low pressure system after all? It looks like will I have to swap in a factory TPI pump (which I have) in place of my current TBI 16 psi in tank pump for starters. I don't know where the 60# number came from.

#8 ·
I downloaded the installation guide, and they state I'll need a 60 psi pump. The confusing part is, if I bring up the kit, they include a 12-920 holley EFI pump.

The specs on this pump on their site state:

Free Flow per/hr. = 80 Gallons / 303 Liters / 480 Pounds at 15 psi
Free Flow per/hr. = 67 Gallons / 255 Liters / 404 Pounds at 45 psi
Draws 5 amps at 15 psi

So, apparently this isn't a low pressure system after all? It looks like will I have to swap in a factory TPI pump (which I have) in place of my current TBI 16 psi in tank pump for starters. I don't know where the 60# number came from.
Looking at that Holley pump about a month ago is where I got the idea to buy this pump to use with my FiTech 600. Not applicable to your situation. I'm just pointing it out for anyone that might want to use an external pump and save some money over the Holley kit. The mounting kit

I'm looking forward to reading your install and performance report if you get a Sniper

#20 ·
"Anyway, How bout DF does a trade in of all FITECH units! "

And why would he do that? good quality Holley stuff was available while all those guys were running around buying the FITech "stuff." The same old saying still goes, "you get you pay for....if you do your homework and avoid mad rushes to the latest fad."

And DF really is Doug Flynn, product engineer for Holley EFI stuff for years. AFAIK, He's still the only EFI manufacturer guy who ever logs on here. This is a big part of the reason I've been favorable to their stuff all these years. No, it's not cheap but at least it works and you can get real help if something goes wrong.

#23 ·
"Anyway, How bout DF does a trade in of all FITECH units! "

And why would he do that? good quality Holley stuff was available while all those guys were running around buying the FITech "stuff." The same old saying still goes, "you get you pay for....if you do your homework and avoid mad rushes to the latest fad."

And DF really is Doug Flynn, product engineer for Holley EFI stuff for years. AFAIK, He's still the only EFI manufacturer guy who ever logs on here. This is a big part of the reason I've been favorable to their stuff all these years. No, it's not cheap but at least it works and you can get real help if something goes wrong.
Actually Tom (and I'm not trying to debate), the only comparably priced unit from Holley (the Sniper) just came out, after being delayed all Summer.

The main reason myself, and surely MANY others, never took the jump to this style EFI, was because it was $2,000 plus for just the throttle body setup. Then you'd still have to add in a fuel system...

MSD, Edelbrock, Quick Fuel, FAST, and Holley, all have and still offer a $2,000 (or higher) option.

There was no "homework" to be done on the Fitech units when I bought mine. They had been around for nearly a year, but not well advertised at all. What little info I could find, simply proved the owner had many years of EFI experience, and also did, and does, do some factory EFI work as well.

I was the guinea pig for them, as far as this site goes, and have no regrets.
Doing that, I've learned a LOT, helped many people, and ironically, when I bought my Fitech setup last December, there was absolutely no info out there regarding Holley also releasing their own $1,000 throttle body EFI setup. It appears the Holley Sniper was developed to directly compete with the Fitech.

I don't always agree with the whole "You get what you pay for" thing...
My actual EFI has pretty much worked great since Day 1.
I've had trouble with the Fuel Command Center, and recently with the Handheld controller.
The FCC was a poor product, IMHO, and the Handheld button I broke a few months back with my big fat fingers...and it wasn't right since.

If you get what you pay for, is the Holley Sniper going to be a subpar product? I mean it is half the cost of their better, Terminator TB EFI setup....;)

If/When my Fitech unit sells, I'll be all over the Holley Sniper (even though Doug's not going to get me a hook up, lol), and will gladly share, first hand, how their Customer Service compares to FiTech's.

So once again, FREE R&D from Team Chevelle...:hurray:

FWIW, I know Fitech "people" also come on here, but are not members. I was told they do not join and comment on any threads, ever. I'd imagine that could easily turn into pissing matches for anyone defending the product the represent.

#22 · (Edited)
That was my attempt at humor Tom. I guess I should have put the :D at the end of the sentence.
I'm sure the Holley support will be better.
This was a "get my feet wet" FI project and at the time, there wasn't any TB FI units that didn't have issues with engines making less then 10" of vacuum.
That ruled out almost all of them on MY 406 making 7" of vacuum. I wasn't going to spend 2300 on a "get my feet wet" unit that I wasn't able to use.
1k, I'd gamble/did on it.
It runs great on my engine. Could it be better?
Probably.
Still runs MUCH better then the carb in every aspect.
I would have rather spent my $ on a unit made here.
Eventually, I will end up with a Holley Avenger MPFI on my engine.
Sorry to get off topic to the OP.

#28 ·
For those not familiar, Doug Flynn has been posting around here for years. Has a 9-sec Nova that he ran at DragWeek a couple years back, with a tunnel ram and a couple throttle bodies on top, I think drive-by-wire. BBC, later converted to LS. Do a search for the username "Doug F." Must've gotten caught up in the password changing snafus a couple months back.

-Dave

Reactions: rel3rd
#32 ·
There's not a black and white answer to that question. You shouldn't have a problem down to around 5-6" HG. When you get into really mismatched combo's such as super low vacuum and a stock converter, things get touchier. In cases like that, I usually break open the laptop to help with fine tuning the fuel table and ignition timing table and get things happier (which some may like to do and some won't). The Sniper doesn't need or come with laptop software, but it will be available shortly. It will just require the purchase of a CAN to USB converter, which won't cost much. The software is based on the current Holley EFI software and is VERY full featured and very intuitive. The fuel table has the same "self learning" function current Holley EFI systems offer, so it will adjust the fuel table if it is off very quickly to whatever A/F ratio you enter.

#38 ·
I was (am) the project lead for the Sniper EFI program, so between Doug and I, we should be able to answer most of the technical questions you guys have.

That being said, I figured some of you may like to see a sneak peek of the Sniper EFI tuning software and data logger. Enjoy!

Attachments

#45 ·
I did the terminator EFI on my 67 Chevelle and I really like it. I do have an authorized installer in Easton, PA who is really good and very resonable. You can search on Holleys website and see if there is one near you too, but it should be a pretty easy install and the Holley forum is also pretty responsive. I have seen responses in a few hours. Im sure you can call them also.

#47 ·
Hi Doug/Adam...any target date for when the higher horsepower 8 injector version might be available, as well as what the price difference might be over the base version? Thanks.

Reactions: paul bell
#60 ·
Already sold...kid at work bought it, and a pocket pistol...so that paid for the Sniper...

Finished up the swap about 2 hours ago and been driving around. :thumbsup:
'
Just uploaded all the pics (and 2 videos) and ready to start another 200,000 view thread,,,LOL. :grin2:

#66 ·
I'm about to pull the trigger on the FiTech or Sniper. I was hoping to do that tomorrow but might put it off for a little longer while I continue to find out about the Sniper.

I'm just starting my research on the Sniper but from what I can tell there is no sensor for the exhaust. Is that correct? If so, how does it get any O2 readings?

I'm also a little nervous to be one of the first few to get a brand new system. I'm worried that the Sniper is so new that there will be bugs that need to be worked out that will end up costing me extra money/time to get right. Not saying FiTech will be perfect either.

#67 ·
The Sniper comes with an O2 sensor. You could probably put either one on and run it without doing much of anything tuning wise. Particularly if you are running a fairly tame 350 with no air leaks in the intake tract or exhaust.

If I didn't already have a FiTech, I'd get the Sniper today, no question. Mostly because Holley has been around for a while, and is supporting the product in this thread. Can't ask for much more.

Reactions: rel3rd
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.