FITECH EFI TUNING tips, info sharing, ideas, settings, etc... - Page 51 - Chevelle Tech
EFI Caution: Beyond here be monsters...

 246Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #751 of 1931 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 16, 2:59 AM
Greg
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 29
Re: FITECH EFI TUNING tips, info sharing, ideas, settings, etc...

New Fuel pump

chevymike likes this.
73Ventura is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #752 of 1931 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 16, 7:30 AM
Team Member
REL3RD - BOB
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 18
Re: FITECH EFI TUNING tips, info sharing, ideas, settings, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93weezer View Post
Rel3rd, hey I saw your post over on the turboforums and gave you a quick response regarding "fuel trim max " which is a possibility, also how much fuel was in your tank when you made your runs? Was your fuel pressure stable? Possibly could have uncovered the fuel pick up if you're tank isn't baffled especially if you ran it low to save weight..
Also have you messed with any of the accel pump settings? I haven't had to change a thing with the exception of fuel trim max...
93weezer
- Have not messed with "Fuel Trim Max" at all.
- Over half tank in my TanksInc tank, which has a 1+ gallon built-in sump. Actually was playing around last night, with 1/4 tank or less and car pulled fine.
- I do not have an external fuel pressure gauge
- I also have not needed to touch the ACCEL PUMP settings, BUT....drove the car to work this morning, and noticed that I had a very pronounced DEAD SPOT with a quick throttle blip, BEFORE the engine was fully warmed up...Ambient temp was very low 60's here this morning.

I may try adjusting the ACCEL PUMP settings so they only affect the colder temps...and see what happens.

The 1st pass at the track, car launches fine, then about 100 feet or so out, noses over, and stays nosed over until I shift into 2nd, then pulls hard, through 2nd and 3rd...usually coolant temp is 150-ish

Next pass....pulls hard from launch to stripe...and repeats as many times as I choose to run it, even after a long cooldown, and if coolant drops to less than 150...which is why I am puzzled.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabberblu View Post
You can change the Target AF at idle, you properly around 13.8 and can go higher. Try 14.5-14.7 to start. Bob is much higher. You just have to adjust your IAC step again.

As far as throttle response try increasing the Acel pump setting at 170F, increase 10 at a time

Larry
Larry is correct. I have IDLE AFR set at 16:1, and it normally idles even leaner than that, even with 83 degrees of overlap in my camshaft, the "smell" is MUCH better. Ironically, my idle is much smoother, in gear, with the lean idle AFR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHT/73 View Post
My cams pretty lumpy 262/269 @ .050"
I can idle at 15:1 BUT I will never be able to get rid of the overlap of the cam.
It's much better but will never be perfect.
The carb would never idle in gear at that. AFR
It would just die when I put it in drive.
I agree, these things can't work magic, but they do a pretty good job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VORTECPRO View Post
Getting ready to dyno one of these next week, we will see................
Even though it's very hard to get any "learning" done on a dyno, I'm curious to see how this turns out. Mark, what combo are you trying one on?

I am...REL3RD aka BOB
71439 is offline  
post #753 of 1931 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 16, 7:37 AM
Team Member
REL3RD - BOB
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 18
Re: FITECH EFI TUNING tips, info sharing, ideas, settings, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73Ventura View Post
I bought an AEM fuel pump and put it in the FCC. The original no name Chinese pump burnt out. Not sure how it burnt out but when I pulled the FCC part there was a lot of gooie jelly like stuff in the bottom and all over the pick up screen, it looks like they use a jelly type grease on the threads and seals when there made. The pump may have starved for fuel and over heated.
It looks like the screen was sitting on the bottom with no 'air gap' so to speak. I've setup the new pump so the filter screen has got 3mm clearance from the bottom. I've also now got the FCC sitting so the Vent is at the front to try and stop fuel splash coming out of it on hard acceleration. Well see what happens in two weeks when I go Drag Racing.
Nice. Looking forward to an update on how this AEM pump reacts/lasts in the same environment.

I agree that it sure looks like it was bottomed out in the sump, and yours definitely got HOT...

Thanks for the pics of the FCC. It didn't come apart like I thought it would. I thought the "lid" came off...
Nice job on the FCC Disassembly Tool. FiTech should include one with every FCC.

I am...REL3RD aka BOB
71439 is offline  
 
post #754 of 1931 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 16, 8:18 AM
Tech Team
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: LI, NY
Posts: 128
Re: FITECH EFI TUNING tips, info sharing, ideas, settings, etc...

73 Ventura like that tool, do you have any dimensions, does it fit the bottom and what is made of.

What did FiTech say or do?

Larry
Grabberblu is offline  
post #755 of 1931 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 16, 8:27 AM
Team Member
Rich
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Rockvale TN
Posts: 1,631
Garage
Re: FITECH EFI TUNING tips, info sharing, ideas, settings, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabberblu View Post
73 Ventura like that tool, do you have any dimensions, does it fit the bottom and what is made of.

What did FiTech say or do?

Larry
Sounds like he did not wait for FiTech to "do" anything...can't say as I blame him. You can make a template out of paper and transfer it to metal for that tool.
HandOverFist is offline  
post #756 of 1931 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 16, 12:25 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 16
73 ventura, just curious how u got it apart for future reference. Did u flip it upside down and put metal bar in vise then put strap wrench on narrow bottom end? Thx for sharing the pics.
Acooken12 is offline  
post #757 of 1931 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 16, 2:47 PM
Greg
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 29
Re: FITECH EFI TUNING tips, info sharing, ideas, settings, etc...

The tool is just made out of 10mm flat alloy bar. The lid doe's come of but the lower section is the part that loosened first while trying to separate it. I talked to Bryce first, I was going to send it back but he agreed the cost in doing that he suggested pulling it apart to see what happened. I Emailed him over a week and a half ago with the pictures and questions and No reply. I rang him again last Wednesday and he went through his emails while on the phone and he saw it, had a quick look and I said to him to read it and have a good look at the pictures and email me with his thoughts.....still no reply. Their customer service sucks.
71439 likes this.
73Ventura is offline  
post #758 of 1931 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 16, 5:43 PM
Tech Team
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 229
Re: FITECH EFI TUNING tips, info sharing, ideas, settings, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73Ventura View Post
I bought an AEM fuel pump and put it in the FCC. The original no name Chinese pump burnt out. Not sure how it burnt out but when I pulled the FCC part there was a lot of gooie jelly like stuff in the bottom and all over the pick up screen, it looks like they use a jelly type grease on the threads and seals when there made. The pump may have starved for fuel and over heated.
It looks like the screen was sitting on the bottom with no 'air gap' so to speak. I've setup the new pump so the filter screen has got 3mm clearance from the bottom. I've also now got the FCC sitting so the Vent is at the front to try and stop fuel splash coming out of it on hard acceleration. Well see what happens in two weeks when I go Drag Racing.
Makes me glad I bought the RobbMC Powersurge. At least I know there is a Walbro pump in mine.

It only took a few hours to drop the tank and install a fuel sending unit with a return, and run a vent return line back to the tank from the sump. All from my garage floor with a few jack stands. A lift would have taken half the time. Not having a vapor return, I think, is part of the cause of issues with the FCC. But if that is the pump they use, that could also be a big issue.

And it also gave me a chance to check out my tank interior, which was spotless inside. Made me feel relieved to know it was in good shape.

1968 Skylark Convertible
383 Stroker, Turbo 350, 3.73 Posi
FiTech GoEFI4 600
RobbMC PowerSurge 500
Nabors is offline  
post #759 of 1931 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 16, 8:04 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 14
Re: FITECH EFI TUNING tips, info sharing, ideas, settings, etc...

I have another question. Mine is still running great, it's seems to have learned not to die at stops now, but when I shut it off to say go in a restaurant and eat, then come back out 30+ minutes later while it's still hot, especially sitting in the direct sun, it cranks fine, but lets out a big cloud of smoke. Used to do the same with the carb, kinda like it's flooded. What parameter would I adjust to get rid of that? Crank Fuel 170F?
thunderguns71 is offline  
post #760 of 1931 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 16, 8:58 PM
Tech Team
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: LI, NY
Posts: 128
Re: FITECH EFI TUNING tips, info sharing, ideas, settings, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderguns71 View Post
I have another question. Mine is still running great, it's seems to have learned not to die at stops now, but when I shut it off to say go in a restaurant and eat, then come back out 30+ minutes later while it's still hot, especially sitting in the direct sun, it cranks fine, but lets out a big cloud of smoke. Used to do the same with the carb, kinda like it's flooded. What parameter would I adjust to get rid of that? Crank Fuel 170F?
What color is the smoke, how many turns does it take to starts (like to you just tap the key or does it have to crank a lot to start) and last do you wait for it to prime or crank as soon as you turn the key


Larry
Grabberblu is offline  
post #761 of 1931 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 16, 9:27 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 14
Re: FITECH EFI TUNING tips, info sharing, ideas, settings, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabberblu View Post
What color is the smoke, how many turns does it take to starts (like to you just tap the key or does it have to crank a lot to start) and last do you wait for it to prime or crank as soon as you turn the key


Larry
Black/gray. Sometimes the wind catches it and blows it back in my windows. Definitely smells like fuel. If I try to start it without waiting it'll try to fire once then die. Then it'll fire on the second try. If i wait for the pump to prime, it will fire after it spins over about twice. As you can see I'm trying it both ways to figure this out. On a good note, it cranks great when it's cold after sitting all night.
thunderguns71 is offline  
post #762 of 1931 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 16, 9:28 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
MARK
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: CO/TO
Posts: 3,726
Re: FITECH EFI TUNING tips, info sharing, ideas, settings, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71439 View Post
- Have not messed with "Fuel Trim Max" at all.
- Over half tank in my TanksInc tank, which has a 1+ gallon built-in sump. Actually was playing around last night, with 1/4 tank or less and car pulled fine.
- I do not have an external fuel pressure gauge
- I also have not needed to touch the ACCEL PUMP settings, BUT....drove the car to work this morning, and noticed that I had a very pronounced DEAD SPOT with a quick throttle blip, BEFORE the engine was fully warmed up...Ambient temp was very low 60's here this morning.

I may try adjusting the ACCEL PUMP settings so they only affect the colder temps...and see what happens.

The 1st pass at the track, car launches fine, then about 100 feet or so out, noses over, and stays nosed over until I shift into 2nd, then pulls hard, through 2nd and 3rd...usually coolant temp is 150-ish

Next pass....pulls hard from launch to stripe...and repeats as many times as I choose to run it, even after a long cooldown, and if coolant drops to less than 150...which is why I am puzzled.




Larry is correct. I have IDLE AFR set at 16:1, and it normally idles even leaner than that, even with 83 degrees of overlap in my camshaft, the "smell" is MUCH better. Ironically, my idle is much smoother, in gear, with the lean idle AFR.



I agree, these things can't work magic, but they do a pretty good job.



Even though it's very hard to get any "learning" done on a dyno, I'm curious to see how this turns out. Mark, what combo are you trying one on?
517 HP 467, peanut port 9.2 comp, 218 @ .050 cam.

Do the work....get the results
VORTECPRO is offline  
post #763 of 1931 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 16, 10:15 PM
Tech Team
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: LI, NY
Posts: 128
Re: FITECH EFI TUNING tips, info sharing, ideas, settings, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderguns71 View Post
Black/gray. Sometimes the wind catches it and blows it back in my windows. Definitely smells like fuel. If I try to start it without waiting it'll try to fire once then die. Then it'll fire on the second try. If i wait for the pump to prime, it will fire after it spins over about twice. As you can see I'm trying it both ways to figure this out. On a good note, it cranks great when it's cold after sitting all night.
The crank fuel at 170F is usually a minus number, I would take some more out and not let it prime

Larry
Grabberblu is offline  
post #764 of 1931 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 16, 2:26 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Travis
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 1,323
Garage
Re: FITECH EFI TUNING tips, info sharing, ideas, settings, etc...

I want an FiTech System so bad.

Anyone wanted a Steve Taylor PRC Modified Holley HP 650 cfm Double Pumper? Teflon Coated, Billet Metering Blocks, 900cfm base plate?

1970 Chevelle
SHINER is offline  
post #765 of 1931 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 16, 4:03 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73Ventura View Post
I Emailed him over a week and a half ago with the pictures and questions and No reply. I rang him again last Wednesday and he went through his emails while on the phone and he saw it, had a quick look and I said to him to read it and have a good look at the pictures and email me with his thoughts.....still no reply. Their customer service sucks.
PLUS 1 for CUSTOMER SERVICE SUCKS!
BBRC2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome