FITECH EFI TUNING tips, info sharing, ideas, settings, etc... - Page 11 - Chevelle Tech
EFI Caution: Beyond here be monsters...

238Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #151 of 1857 (permalink) Old May 15th, 16, 4:46 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Re: FITECH EFI TUNING tips, info sharing, ideas, settings, etc...

FWIW, pedal will also be stiff if either of the throttle blades are closed too far. It'll actually bind up the pedal a bit. It'll have a sort of spot that's noticeably hard, that eases up once past the binding. I had this when I first installed mine. A 1/4 turn on the secondary blade cured it and then allowed me to dial in the IAC.

I have also noticed on my car, which is an automatic, that with IAC counts in the 30-ish range, IN GEAR, the car idles really well...I guess the secret is to find all the little sweet spots of your unique combo...
79camaro1 likes this.

1971 Chevelle SS "439" 2.1 tons of fun...
11.31@117 w/4.10's, 4200+ stall, QFT SS-830 carb
11.72@115 w/3.90's, 3300 stall, and Fitech GoEFI4
11.51@116 w/3.90's, 3300 stall, and Holley Sniper EFI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 1857 (permalink) Old May 15th, 16, 7:45 PM
Doug

If anyone needs info on setting up a TV cable system from BowTie Overdrives let me know. The TV correction device and the Fitech throttle arm needs some modifications. I have pictures for how to do it. Don't want to take up a lot of space if no one needs it.
post #153 of 1857 (permalink) Old May 15th, 16, 9:30 PM
Tech Team
Wayne

1) Decel Open IAC, Fitech recommends to set this at -30, mine was at 0. It helps to return to regular idle quicker. This worked! Feels more like a carb now!
I've got mine set at -37.5. Mine works good here. I have tried it up and down the scale by great margins. Trial and error brought me to this number. Also go back and check your IAC steps after because altering this parameter will make a small change here.

2) make small adjustments to front and back idle screws. Hell, I didn't know their was a BACK idle screw! Crap! Will try this, but still struggling with it. Trying to get the IAC Steps between 6-10 steady is like herding cats! Of course, I was only using the front throttle screw.
We all made that mistake - OK maybe not all but most...back one rear pass. side.
Don't worry about it so much because once you start playing with the DFCO settings your IAC counts will change again by a little and you will have to go back and open or close the throttle screws a very little. Soon you will be good at it.

65-StingRay
Wayne

post #154 of 1857 (permalink) Old May 16th, 16, 8:13 AM
Tech Team

Excellent tips Wayne. After adjusting BOTH idle screws, I almost nailed a good idle right off the bat. I literally have twice the control now. Everything I saw up until the other day was singular, and it should absolutely be plural. Anyhow, no drama.

What will playing with DFCO (I think this is Decel Fuel Cut Off) gain me? Just curious. I am apt to let it settle in a little before I go haywire. FiTech should really update their instructions however, with so many "new" to EFI. They are making it hard on themselves (answering questions and whatnot).

I did learn more in this forum in a week than anywhere else on the web though. Thanks!
post #155 of 1857 (permalink) Old May 16th, 16, 8:25 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

DFCO is mainly there just to help mileage a little. It does what it says, which is cuts off the injectors at certain loads and rpm (when coasting) to save a tiny bit of fuel.

1971 Chevelle SS "439" 2.1 tons of fun...
11.31@117 w/4.10's, 4200+ stall, QFT SS-830 carb
11.72@115 w/3.90's, 3300 stall, and Fitech GoEFI4
11.51@116 w/3.90's, 3300 stall, and Holley Sniper EFI
post #156 of 1857 (permalink) Old May 16th, 16, 8:28 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rel3rd View Post
DFCO is mainly there just to help mileage a little. It does what it says, which is cuts off the injectors at certain loads and rpm (when coasting) to save a tiny bit of fuel.
With a 1200 mile trip (Power Tour) coming up, that may be useful!
post #157 of 1857 (permalink) Old May 16th, 16, 4:25 PM
Tech Team

Hello chevelles.com even though I have a mustang this forum has a wealth of knowledge on fitech so I am here asking for help. I have a 351w with stage three track heat heads 8.5 to1 compression, super victor intake, custom cam motion camshaft with .565 lift on 114deg lobe separation (forgot duration) and pt88 turbo. any how I have the typical cold start issue where it will fire then stall but second hit it will stay running. I have selected cam 2 setting because I see 16" vacuum at 850rpm and iac set at 8. From what I have read when you have this issue you need more fuel on prime multi and crank 20f etc. From what I gather the range is -100 to 100 on the settings. When I opened the controller my prime multi is all ready at 259!!!! That's right 259!!! Does this mean I need to step up to cam setting #3. Thanks guys I appreciate the help and sharing of knowledge.
93weezer
post #158 of 1857 (permalink) Old May 16th, 16, 6:39 PM
Tech Team
Wayne

When I opened the controller my prime multi is all ready at 259!!!! That's right 259!!! Does this mean I need to step up to cam setting #3. Thanks guys I appreciate the help and sharing of knowledge.
93weezer.

As far as the cam setting goes there's probably no problem moving to the 3 position. Your cam sounds pretty stout so moving up shouldn't be too bad and I might even be better. What your looking for is volumetric efficiency or how well your car uses the gas and air together. As you go up the scale the engine utilizes air and fuel more efficiently - burning it better so to speak
I can't remember what my prime multiplier is set at. I'll check tonight and report back later since I'm at work now.

Some settings will change a little with the cam change but not by a great degree. With the 259 setting - have you called the FiTech tech line - they may have an easy fix that doesn't involve a number of changes.

Don't know how many posts you have read on this site but there is a lot of info to glean from here but you have to cut through it to get a lot of the good tips.

Good Luck.
Like you - there are a number of different car guys here looking for answers.

65-StingRay
Wayne
post #159 of 1857 (permalink) Old May 16th, 16, 7:13 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93weezer View Post
even though I have a mustang this forum has a wealth of knowledge on fitech so I am here asking for help. 93weezer
I am a Camaro guy, and I think they tolerate me...but a Mustang guy??

In other news, my idle is still jacked. Didn't play with it today, but had to drive it to have some exhaust leaks rewelded. IN 5 o'clock traffic. With the idle fluctuating between 500-1200 (IAC steps from 0-~20), it kinda sucks. I am going to call them tomorrow. My adjustment screws are both out about 1 full turn. I think I may have to take it up some. BTW, my IAC Learn (I think that's what it's called) on the dashboard is at 1 and is still there. Does that mean it is finished learning? Do I need to reset it? How do I do that? Thanks for your (continued) patience guys.
post #160 of 1857 (permalink) Old May 16th, 16, 8:09 PM
Tech Team
Wayne

No, you don't have to play with your IAC learn. I believe that's its learn state for now and it's never finished learning they just become very small changes due to temp. fluctuations, atmospheric conditions such as barometric pressure and a host of others.
No resetting. Mine is at 1 most of the time (90%).

I take it your idle problem in traffic is due to the exhaust leaks. How was it after the welding?

If you have to reset the IAC steps as was mentioned just turn them in the direction your IAC counts need to go. Clockwise to raise / counter clockwise to lower. If your having big problems - close them both lightly then open them up just a tad, start your car and go through the adjustment regime a little at a time making sure you turn the car off for at least 30 secs or until the numbers disappear from the screen. Re-start wait for the idle to stabilize a few seconds then check IAC. If you have to make another adjustment -repeat the process.

65-StingRay
Wayne
post #161 of 1857 (permalink) Old May 16th, 16, 8:32 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93weezer View Post
Hello chevelles.com even though I have a mustang this forum has a wealth of knowledge on fitech so I am here asking for help. I have a 351w with stage three track heat heads 8.5 to1 compression, super victor intake, custom cam motion camshaft with .565 lift on 114deg lobe separation (forgot duration) and pt88 turbo. any how I have the typical cold start issue where it will fire then stall but second hit it will stay running. I have selected cam 2 setting because I see 16" vacuum at 850rpm and iac set at 8. From what I have read when you have this issue you need more fuel on prime multi and crank 20f etc. From what I gather the range is -100 to 100 on the settings. When I opened the controller my prime multi is all ready at 259!!!! That's right 259!!! Does this mean I need to step up to cam setting #3. Thanks guys I appreciate the help and sharing of knowledge.
93weezer
With 16" of vacuum at idle I would think your a#2. Make sure your key power source has power in crank position.

On the dashboard screen watch the RPM signal and make sure you have it cranking and run. See if when it false starts you loose the RPM signal.

Larry
post #162 of 1857 (permalink) Old May 16th, 16, 8:38 PM
Tech Team
Al

I'm glad you guys mentioned the decel open IAC. When rpms were coming back to idle it would slowly drift from 1000 down to idle. It was 1.6 from the factory. - 40 decel open iac seems to work for me.it seems more normal now. It's a stick car. Even a chevelle!
79camaro1 likes this.
post #163 of 1857 (permalink) Old May 16th, 16, 10:53 PM
Tech Team
Wayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by acooken1 View Post
I'm glad you guys mentioned the decel open IAC. When rpms were coming back to idle it would slowly drift from 1000 down to idle. It was 1.6 from the factory. - 40 decel open iac seems to work for me.it seems more normal now. It's a stick car. Even a chevelle!
Yep -40 a good number for the stick.

65-StingRay
Wayne
post #164 of 1857 (permalink) Old May 16th, 16, 11:01 PM
Tech Team
Wayne

93weezer,
just checked my prime fuel multiplier and mine is - 258. I believe it's been this large since the beginning.

65-StingRay
Wayne
post #165 of 1857 (permalink) Old May 16th, 16, 11:46 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65-StingRay View Post
93weezer,
just checked my prime fuel multiplier and mine is - 258. I believe it's been this large since the beginning.

65-StingRay
Wayne
That's interesting mine is also 259. Here where it gets better if you select edit it tells you the number is not valid. Range is max 199 and min is -100 ?????? I would think the value is not 259 but what is it

Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.