FITECH EFI TUNING tips, info sharing, ideas, settings, etc... - Page 101 - Chevelle Tech
EFI Caution: Beyond here be monsters...

272Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1501 of 2165 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 16, 1:10 PM
Tech Team
Steve

Garage
Re: FITECH EFI TUNING tips, info sharing, ideas, settings, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemson726 View Post
I agree something still seems off. Maybe a relearn will fix it though. I did move the bung to that distance behind the collector. I didn't have time to weld it so it's clamped right now. I want to be sure I'm not leaking anywhere before I start relearning. When i moved it, i was able to lean my idle nearer to 14 from the previous 13.3. Truth be told, I'm not sure the accel pump 170 setting are really solving my issue as much as making it overly rich to compensate for it. I say that because i went from 99 to 50 and it still reacts similar. I'm still thinking its got something to do with the TPS gain which I can't adjust. Since moving the o2, the problem is only about 50% of what it was before though.

The only other information I can offer besides a data log is when its cold, it will lean up on every shift change (th400). The rpms drop, AFR goes from 13ish to 14.6 or so. Its enough to make it bog a big. Then when i get to the end of the road I live on and stop, it will go rich to about 10afr briefly. When the engine temp gets to about 140 or so, it stops doing all of that. I was blaming that to just a cold natured engine, but maybe it is another symptom.
Good plan to work on any potential leaks, and get your bung welded up when you get a chance before doing the relearn. I would reset the accel pump numbers closer to the defaults as well. It might run crappy for a while though. At least you'll know if accel pump actually does anything useful. It is supposed to clean up hesitation issues according to FiTech, and it makes sense, because it is a digital accelerator pump. It wont clean up serious air leaks in the intake though. If you were talking about a dual carbureted twin motorcycle, I'd say your throttles might be out of sync. Might even be out of sync on your big throttle body V8.

dTPS gain on mine is increased only 4 points from 109 to 113. That could be why I don't get the lean stumble, and occasional backfire through the throttle body anymore on fast on/off throttle transitions, but I don't think it is the whole picture. I changed my entire exhaust system from headers back, re-plumbed my PCV, and did a bunch of minor tweaks in the software that unfortunately I can't remember, and can't save back from the ECU to check.

You'll need to fix the hesitation deal to see if those cold motor AT shifts get better. Bog is usually associated with a rich condition, hesitation is lean. It's probably minor hesitation, from the load change when the motor is cold and you go up a gear at a slow speed. Run the car when it's warmed up. Same advice a doctor would give if you said, "Doc it hurts when I do this." Doc says, "Well don't do that then."

'65 Chev El Camino
350/350+, 700R4
FiTech GoEFI 4 600HP Fuel Injection
Wannabe Pro Cruzer
'68 P-11 Norton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1502 of 2165 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 16, 1:46 PM
Tech Team
Steve

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmaya View Post
It ran just the way it's wired up. Noticed the adjusting screw for the rear blades wasn't even touching.

The power wire for the unit is wired to the battery. Fuel pump power wire is connected to the battery and using a relay.

Running a new fuel system and will double check it along with all vacuum ports. Car was running fine.
The adjustment screw for the rear blades doesn't touch on my TB. No issues with keeping it running. I ran my primary idle adjustment all the way back so the rear throttle blade stop screw touched once for grins. My car won't stay running that way. It does try though. I would not fool with that rear adjustment screw myself, but others seems to think it's a good idea.

Out of pure laziness, I run my fuel pump from the TB without a relay. Not the safest or most intelligent approach, but it's been problem free. I read all the good reasons for why I should use a relay, but decided that stuff will never happen to me as long as I remain conscious enough to turn the key to the Off position.

Have you tried bypassing the relay setup for testing purposes?

Hopefully it's something simple.

'65 Chev El Camino
350/350+, 700R4
Wannabe Pro Cruzer
'68 P-11 Norton
post #1503 of 2165 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 16, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwany View Post
Good plan to work on any potential leaks, and get your bung welded up when you get a chance before doing the relearn. I would reset the accel pump numbers closer to the defaults as well. It might run crappy for a while though. At least you'll know if accel pump actually does anything useful. It is supposed to clean up hesitation issues according to FiTech, and it makes sense, because it is a digital accelerator pump. It wont clean up serious air leaks in the intake though. If you were talking about a dual carbureted twin motorcycle, I'd say your throttles might be out of sync. Might even be out of sync on your big throttle body V8.

dTPS gain on mine is increased only 4 points from 109 to 113. That could be why I don't get the lean stumble, and occasional backfire through the throttle body anymore on fast on/off throttle transitions, but I don't think it is the whole picture. I changed my entire exhaust system from headers back, re-plumbed my PCV, and did a bunch of minor tweaks in the software that unfortunately I can't remember, and can't save back from the ECU to check.

You'll need to fix the hesitation deal to see if those cold motor AT shifts get better. Bog is usually associated with a rich condition, hesitation is lean. It's probably minor hesitation, from the load change when the motor is cold and you go up a gear at a slow speed. Run the car when it's warmed up. Same advice a doctor would give if you said, "Doc it hurts when I do this." Doc says, "Well don't do that then."
I've checked the throttle blades. If they aren't opening together I can't tell it with my naked eye. They look pretty close to me. I'll work on it some more. It still seems to me like its not the amount of fuel being added as much as WHEN its adding the fuel. Its like it doesn't see the throttle blades opening until it gets to 5% or so. Either that or its getting dry when at high vacuum. I questioned if I could get around the problem by increasing my DFCO return fuel, but I've maxed it out as well. I am not using DFCO right now so I'm not even sure if the return fuel works if it never cuts fuel in the first place. I moved the ring fill parameter to 6.0 and couldn't tell a difference. I wonder if maybe I should try to move that up further. Of course all of this is subject to a relearn not working.

post #1504 of 2165 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 16, 4:47 PM
Tech Team
Wilson

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHT/73 View Post
Wilmaya, can you check continuity on the signal wire to the connector for the tb ?
Maybe it's a bad connection?
Good point. I was thinking of checking it there also. Hoping it's there. Busy for the next few days so time is limited. As was mentioned you should see at least a few hundred rpm while cranking on the controller. It's blank while cranking.

NAPA PARTS GUY
1970 SS396 Build Sheet Documented
496 10.5 UD Harold 243/249 650 Net SR, AFR/290's, Victor Jr. PS/1000HP, Pump Fuel
3000 Stall TH400 3.55 MT DR's 3980 w/Driver
Best ET 1.54 7.04/96.21 11.17/118.51 @ Musclepalooza Etown 2010
post #1505 of 2165 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 16, 5:54 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Quote:
Good point. I was thinking of checking it there also. Hoping it's there. Busy for the next few days so time is limited. As was mentioned you should see at least a few hundred rpm while cranking on the controller. It's blank while cranking.
Yeah maybe one of those tiny pins moved back in the connector.
If that don't do it I'll have to drive out to Madison to plop mine on there to see if mine will run.

73 nova,3515#(all steel)406ci N/A, best 1/4,1.45 '60,6.75@100.48,10.6 @ 122.38, short shifting,NO tuning!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng86PsGUcTY
post #1506 of 2165 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 16, 6:29 PM
Tech Team
Wilson

Garage

Quote:
If that don't do it I'll have to drive out to Madison to plop mine on there to see if mine will run.
I will look at it tomorrow morning before I head out. Thank You so much for the generous offer. Let's hope it doesn't come down to that.

NAPA PARTS GUY
496 10.5 UD Harold 243/249 650 Net SR, AFR/290's, Victor Jr. PS/1000HP, Pump Fuel
post #1507 of 2165 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 16, 7:37 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
This will sound too simple. But verify all your initial setups were written to ECU. Specifically the one for Tach. Make sure it doesn't say 2 Wire.

I know of 2 other people that were having a no start issue with no RPM reading and both times they checked everything, and eventually saw they were on 2Wire instead of Tach.
wilmaya and Schwany like this.

1968 Skylark Convertible
383 Stroker, Turbo 350, 3.73 Posi
FiTech GoEFI4 600
RobbMC PowerSurge 500
post #1508 of 2165 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 16, 11:33 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

My first start attempt showed 0 rpm's. Found my crimp connector that splices into the tach signal wire didn't fully go through the wiring jacket. Fixed that issue, EFI saw RPM's and it fired right up.
wilmaya likes this.

1971 Chevelle SS454 4 speed, 3.31 Posi

Youtube Channel. https://www.youtube.com/user/SS454LS6
post #1509 of 2165 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 16, 10:47 AM
Tech Team
Steve

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemson726 View Post
I've checked the throttle blades. If they aren't opening together I can't tell it with my naked eye. They look pretty close to me. I'll work on it some more. It still seems to me like its not the amount of fuel being added as much as WHEN its adding the fuel. Its like it doesn't see the throttle blades opening until it gets to 5% or so. Either that or its getting dry when at high vacuum. I questioned if I could get around the problem by increasing my DFCO return fuel, but I've maxed it out as well. I am not using DFCO right now so I'm not even sure if the return fuel works if it never cuts fuel in the first place. I moved the ring fill parameter to 6.0 and couldn't tell a difference. I wonder if maybe I should try to move that up further. Of course all of this is subject to a relearn not working.
I wouldn't spend anytime on syncing up the throttle blades if you don't visually notice one set is opening sooner than the other.

Good luck with the relearn. Cross you figures that it works, cuz it sounds like you did all you could with the functions your unit supports.

'65 Chev El Camino
350/350+, 700R4
Wannabe Pro Cruzer
'68 P-11 Norton
post #1510 of 2165 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 16, 11:07 AM

ENGINE SIZE:

FITECH SETUP USED: EFI 600hp

ENGINE VACUUM: 10 at idle

CAM SETTING (1,2,3, or 4) AND YOUR CAM SPECS: 3 (mild street/strip cam)

IAC COUNTS @ idle and cruise 9-15 idle, not sure cruise

TIMING CONTROL: Y/N? N

IDLE RPM: 775rpm(warm)

TARGET IDLE AFR: 16:1 (works great)

ANY ADJUSTED PARAMETERS AND WHY?:

Good morning, i would just like to say that i am a newbie here and i am very grateful for this site and all the useful info here. I have been reading all the posts here and learning in the background for weeks. I installed my EFI 600hp over the last few weeks and finally got it running last weekend. Its a 69 mercury cougar with a 351 windsor(but stroked out to a 408). Everything seems to be working ok except one thing. I am having issues with cold start. Specifically when i let it sit over night and go back to it first thing in the morning. It Takes two or three tries. The issue does not seem to occur Once it is warm and i have been driving it around. If i go to the grocery store and run in and come back out in ten minutes its starts first try. If its been sitting for a hour or so its starts first try. Only when it has sat overnight is the issue. Below is what i have tried

-i have subtracted gas on the crank fuel settings at 65 F and 170 F. (it appeared that taking gas out at these settings cured my hard starts when it was warm or warming up)
-Crank fuel settings at 20F =0 , i tried to go up and down and it did not seem to help with /cold staring

-Crank IAC i have just started fiddling with this one, according to FI tech adjusting this opens the butterflies to let more air in while cranking to help with starting( can anybody confirm this....... which direction is better to go and by what amount? .. Any help would be appreciated i would just like to know if i am on the right track and what some of you guys have done to fix cold starts(overnight sitting).... and settings if possible. Thanks
post #1511 of 2165 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 16, 12:31 PM
Tech Team
Steve

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny32 View Post
-Crank IAC i have just started fiddling with this one, according to FI tech adjusting this opens the butterflies to let more air in while cranking to help with starting( can anybody confirm this....... which direction is better to go and by what amount? .. Any help would be appreciated i would just like to know if i am on the right track and what some of you guys have done to fix cold starts(overnight sitting).... and settings if possible. Thanks
The Crank IAC function in Idle Control does exactly what it says it will do on my motor. I used it to reduce RPM on cold starts. It does tend to make my engine idle lower right off the bat when cold. (Stays below 1000 RPM) I've never had a cold start issue, so I have no useful advice on how to cure it. My Crank IAC is at 85. It's easy to change, and I don't think you're going to hurt anything playing around with it. Unfortunately cold starts are kind of hard to troubleshoot, because you want it to work on first crank. If it doesn't start first crank, you have to let it sit a while because you primed and spit fuel in there, or the second crank will be a false positive. If you follow my logic, that is.

You've also got Crank Open TPS Multi, and Crank IAC Multi to play with in the Cranking Fuel menu.

Note I have not changed any of the fuel specific values for starting.

'65 Chev El Camino
350/350+, 700R4
Wannabe Pro Cruzer
'68 P-11 Norton
post #1512 of 2165 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 16, 1:42 PM

Great info thanks. Anybody else
post #1513 of 2165 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 16, 5:35 PM

thanks for the response. Any other suggestions or ideas from anybody
post #1514 of 2165 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 16, 7:27 AM
Tech Team
Wilson

Garage

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by -SS454- View Post
My first start attempt showed 0 rpm's. Found my crimp connector that splices into the tach signal wire didn't fully go through the wiring jacket. Fixed that issue, EFI saw RPM's and it fired right up.
Problem fixed. Just went out to the garage and unplugged the harness connector and gave it a good push together. Fired right up! But too early to idle in the garage or outdoors. Thank You for all the advise and WHT/73 for the generous offer. Need to meet up one day.

Happy Thanksgiving All.
rel3rd likes this.

NAPA PARTS GUY
post #1515 of 2165 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 16, 9:31 AM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Awesome!
Same to you and your family!

73 nova,3515#(all steel)406ci N/A, best 1/4,1.45 '60,6.75@100.48,10.6 @ 122.38, short shifting,NO tuning!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng86PsGUcTY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.