Team Chevelle banner

FiTech EFI & Fuel Command Center Review & Install w/pics

372K views 967 replies 78 participants last post by  Jackpot50 
#1 ·
Finally decided to go to EFI...

Ordered from Jeg's Tuesday, showed up just now, 2 days later:
$995 - FiTech Go EFI-4 600hp kit #30002 http://fitechefi.com/default.asp.pg-GoEFISystem4-InjectorKit
$395 - FiTech Go EFI Fuel Command Center #40003 http://fitechefi.com/default.asp.pg-GoEFISystemFuelCommandCenter

If the results even slightly resemble the looks and the packaging, I should be a happy camper...

I plan to update progress as it's made.

I only have 2 hours to use up today...
Tentative PLAN A (for today) is to remove carb and lay out the wiring to see how much leeway I have to work with....then swap on the EFI throttle body, and try to get the fuel surge tank setup mounted.

If that goes smoothly, I'll then try to get the coolant sensor installed as well...and by slim chance there's no drama..."maybe" drill the hole for the O2 sensor...or for right now, cheat and use the one I already have for my WideBand sensor. ;)

Looks like only 4 wires need to be hooked up to start the car, so even a dumb old mechanic like me should be able to figure that out. :disco:

Tomorrow's "tentative" plan is to do any necessary plumbing and linkage, etc....

Wish me luck...

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
re: FiTech EFI & Fuel Command Center Review & Install w/pics

Thanks. Spent 3 hours after work and made some progress.

All I have left is running fuel line from mechanical pump to surge tank, O2 sensor, and cleaning up some wiring. :thumbsup:

I did the "quick start" programming already. I must admit I am not quite a fan of this handheld controller, but so far install has been easy peasy.

Attachments

#4 ·

Very pleased that my carb linkage bracketry bolted right up, and my 4" tall air cleaner fits as well.

Videos coming tomorrow :beers:

#6 ·

You dont mess around huh Bob :thumbsup:

I like that surge tank under the hood - makes servicing VERY easy if ever needed.

#11 ·

You dont mess around huh Bob :thumbsup:

I like that surge tank under the hood - makes servicing VERY easy if ever needed.
Yessir. I am pleased with how well the tank fits in that corner. It's not as low as it could go, but the hood should have plenty of clearance. The tank is very easy to connect to the system too. The + wire comes right off of the throttle body harness, and simple ground to the fender or whatever. You have 3 different choices of where to connect the fuel line to the TB, 2 in front, 1 in back. Only thing I don't care for too much is the coolant sensor had to be installed at front of intake, where the bypass nipple would normally be. I've never ran a bypass hose, so it was open, but wish I could have mounted it in one of the heads...the included adapter (bushing) was too tight against the header flange so I couldn't tighten it.

cool its coming together :)
I'm about 3 hours in, including cleaning up and locking up the shop....

I wish I could have had it on the lift already, but since I do make my money with it, I didn't want to have my car apart and work on the floor...lol. :noway:

When I get to that point, I'm going to "borrow" my wideband's existing O2 sensor bung to get the car running, and allow me to drive it over to the lift so I can install the O2 sensor permanently.

What sucks is I have 2 brand new 4 post drive on lifts, that I could have used and that would have worked perfectly, but they're not wired up yet.

Oh well. :(

Todays' shopping list:

3/8"NPT to 3/8" nipple
1/4" hose for vent line
3/8" inline fuel filter
5/16"-1/4" air cleaner stud adapter (TB has 5/16" hole for stud)

Will update later....:beers:

#10 ·

Nice! Im following too no doubt. Is the overall height of the TB lower than a 4150 Holley?
It's actually nearly 1/4" shorter, from base to air cleaner flange...best I could measure this morning ;) .

have you closed the hood on the 4" air cleaner yet? If not, go easy on that.
I'm good to go Tom, this is the same air cleaner I have been running all year. :thumbsup: I really did not expect it to clear the throttle body. It's an old school Moroso (previously blue anodized) drop base housing with a 14x4 Wix Racing filter.

Attachments

#8 ·

have you closed the hood on the 4" air cleaner yet? If not, go easy on that.

#12 ·

If you are not concerned with being able to keep an eye on the command center gauges you could mount it in the passenger fender behind the battery, thats what i did so it would be out of sight. If i ever have to troubleshoot and need to see the gauges it will be about a 10 minute job to get access to it, just a thought for anyone who is planning on installing this setup in the future.

#13 ·

If you are not concerned with being able to keep an eye on the command center gauges you could mount it in the passenger fender behind the battery, thats what i did so it would be out of sight. If i ever have to troubleshoot and need to see the gauges it will be about a 10 minute job to get access to it, just a thought for anyone who is planning on installing this setup in the future.
I actually don't mind it out in view. I'm sure it'll be a conversation starter, lol.

#15 ·

I am waiting to see how your test drive goes before I pull the trigger and order mine. How are you running your vent line? Are your running a fuel cell or a stock style tank?
I am running the stock gas tank.
I'll be using the factory 1/4" vapor/return line, which makes it super simple to connect to, since it's right there next to the factory 3/8" feed line. :thumbsup:

#16 ·

I have used the push lock fittings and hose before on 2 other projects so I knew what to expect, but for the life of me I can't get this damn hose to fully seat on the fittings ! Anybody got any tips ?

#17 ·

You might try a little WD40 on the fitting before going into the hose. Use some soft-jaw inserts for your vice and hold the fitting in there, using both hands on the hose to get that last little bit. Ive used pushlok stuff with success too, but I know exactly what you're talking about.

-Dave

#18 ·

I think I had better luck using some light oil instead of WD40 like they suggested. But they are surely an exercise in self control...lol. :angry:

I'm 285 and put every ounce of weight behind it...and they still look a little shy of fully seated. I lightly clamp the fitting with a pair of Vise Grips, then clamp the Vise Grips in a vise, then pushed like I meant it. :D

I already decided that "if" there's even a hint of a leak, I'm just going to make some braided stainless steel lines and be done with that part. In fact, I may do that as a preventive thing anyway. ;)

#968 ·

I think I had better luck using some light oil instead of WD40 like they suggested. But they are surely an exercise in self control...lol. 😠

I'm 285 and put every ounce of weight behind it...and they still look a little shy of fully seated. I lightly clamp the fitting with a pair of Vise Grips, then clamp the Vise Grips in a vise, then pushed like I meant it. :D

I already decided that "if" there's even a hint of a leak, I'm just going to make some braided stainless steel lines and be done with that part. In fact, I may do that as a preventive thing anyway. ;)
Brake clean the hose wait it will go on

#19 ·

well im sure it is not recommended to use them partially seated but when i did a LS swap in my camaro and used them they were not fully seated and i had no leak issues what so ever so im confident in them. was just making sure it wasnt just me, im about 210 and i also put every bit of weight i had into them and also pushed and twisted untill me hands were numb.

#20 ·

I boiled the hose ends and had the fittings in freezer over night.
On install I put oil on fitting and still took a lot of force.
One I couldn't get all the way into the cup.

#21 ·

I feel your pain.....literally. :D

This is like the longest work day...ever. I keep walking by the car, looking, already went and picked up the small items I needed...just waiting for the clock to tick away. :sad:

#22 ·

With one of the fittings, I had to put the oven mitts on as I had to " re boil" one to get it the rest of the way on!

It's killing me too! I want to see/hear it run!

#24 ·

With one of the fittings, I had to put the oven mitts on as I had to " re boil" one to get it the rest of the way on!

It's killing me too! I want to see/hear it run!
I put the fittings in the freezer and heat the hose with a heat gun. I spray a light oil in the hose right before assembly. :)
Way past that point....of no return. ;)

Just hooked up the O2 sensor (robbed the wideband bung)
Fuel lines done.
Almost forgot I have to refill radiator...
then...
Next up is priming the surge tank, by cranking engine over without electric pump hooked up...
then it should be GO time...

Might be a little bit, since I am only tinkering with it as I can today so far...lol.

#38 ·

Bob - If you find time would you investigate the data logging feature? Curious as to how it works and what data it covers.
I don't see any info in the manual, or on their website on how much info it can hold, or even how to view it, but here's a video for you...

https://youtu.be/gbGRJaO06cY

Here's a couple in car videos, some just cruising and one a WOT blast through a couple gears... ;)
They're in the process of being edited to a smaller size, less than a minute each. Cold start video didn't take again for some reason... :mad:

In traffic:
https://youtu.be/l82Ezh9VVfQ

Little back road blip or two...
https://youtu.be/UOgKRqGc7_k

and one WOT...
https://youtu.be/Z5fwV7AxsEA

I welded the bung for the EFI O2 sensor, so now I have my wideband hooked up, as well as the dedicated one for the EFI.

I made the mistake of playing with the butterfly adjustment screws when it didn't fire right up this morning. I'll have to call them I guess to get an idea why it doesn't want to start right up when cold....COLD being 30 degrees this morning...

#28 ·

Re: return line.... problem for the older ('65) with no fitting on the gas tank float. But I think I have seen replacement floats that have the return line built in.... I am looking forward to seeing the car running!

Thanks for posting this project!

#30 ·

So....get it all buttoned up.
Couldn't find my "quick start" guide, so winged it...although I could have just pulled it up on the laptop...

I screwed up the whole "prime the surge tank" procedure....

Rather than type 1,000 words describing what I did, just FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS and it'll be fine.

Get it fired up and it revs very quickly, but seemed to be loaded, or loading up, with fuel. Granted this was it's first time starting, so I chalk it up as "it's gotta learn", which it does...

I started at CAM SETTING #3, 1 being MILD and 4 being WILD...(their description, not mine)

Ended at CAM SETTING #2....hey, whatever, right?

I set WARM IDLE at 850 rpms.
At first it was all over, but I had an issue I didn't see until a 1/2 hour later...the linkage was slightly pulling the throttle blades open. I checked for WOT, but never verified it was returning to idle...my rookie mistake... and probably part of the reason why it didn't want to start right up..

Put the air cleaner on and decide to take it down the street, because this setup sees WARM ENGINE after 150 degrees, which mine wouldn't get to sitting still with the hood up...

As soon as temp got above 150, A/F was in the 14:1+ range, like it's "default" programmed to...Awesome so far...

Turn around and come back up the street, and blip the throttle a few times...VERY SNAPPY...:thumbsup:

One of the helpers, a junior gearhead, is standing out front and I decide it's a great time to FLOOR IT...it does an effortless 10 or 15 foot burnout, then STICKS WOT....:eek::eek::eek::angry::angry::pout:

Crap like that really does happen FAST! I stood on the brakes for all I was worth, and proceeded to skid the front tires about 75 feet, while turning the ignition off...I literally was headed straight towards a tree at parking lot edge...stopped a foot from the curb...HOLY CRAP! Definitely scared the crap out of me...See the attached pics...

It seems the fancy bracketry for my accelerator cable bound up on the bottom of the air cleaner. I had the one pivot piece too tight and instead of pivoting, it wedged itself under the air cleaner base...:sad:

I also saw at that time that I had no slack in the throttle cable, so addressed that as well.

Then took a quick start up video

https://youtu.be/6lxkTEoHB8E

I put my tools away and got ready to come home...in the Chevelle. :hurray:

Rigged up my small camera that I use to make all the dragstrip in car videos, and for some odd reason, it only recorded the sound...:mad: Maybe tomorrow for that...

OVERALL REVIEW....

Even though it has to "learn" my car's habits...
Very pleased with how well it idles, how crisp and instantaneous the throttle response is, and how quickly it starts up and maintains an idle. It can only get better as it learns...and I'll be playing around with some parameters as needed...right now just want to let it do it's thing and make sure all is golden.

$1390 total investment...I'm tickled at that fact.

I have 5 EASY hours total into the whole swap. That was taking my time, trying to make sure I didn't overlook anything, even though I did, lol. I will be moving the O2 sensor to the other header, so I can re-connect my wideband sensor.

Sorry for the crappy video. It was my phone. I'll get a better quality one up tomorrow.

Any questions....ask away...

Attachments

#32 ·

What did you do wrong when priming the system ? Hope to get mines running by Sunday
Evidently, everything...:(

I think I just had it severely air bound on the INLET side of the "Command Center", and the linkage being too tight on the cable end, made the computer think I was pushing the gas pedal. Like I said, if I had done it how it clearly says to, it would have fired right up.

I truly think it was more the fact that the accelerator cable was slightly pulling the throttle linkage open, messing with the TPS.

To start it the first time, I had to hold the pedal to the floor, like you do if an EFI car is somehow flooded...

Learn by my mistakes. :beers:

#39 ·

Bob - I emailed FiTech about the data logging, but they were kind of vague in the reply. I do know it will have to be downloaded to a laptop to view in Excel...guess one of us will just have to play with it and figure it out on our own. I'll fish around a bit about that cold start issue. :thumbsup:

#40 ·

Bob - I emailed FiTech about the data logging, but they were kind of vague in the reply. I do know it will have to be downloaded to a laptop to view in Excel...guess one of us will just have to play with it and figure it out on our own. I'll fish around a bit about that cold start issue. :thumbsup:
Supposedly their phone support is decent. I may try that next week. Car is stored at my workplace, so I'll try the cold start Monday AM. Today, I drove it quite a bit. It's true what most people say about these self learning efi setups...they do seem to run better and better as you drive. :thumbsup:

Please let me know if you find anything

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.