Team Chevelle banner

BBC March Cam Madness!!!!!

3K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  cstraub 
#1 ·
March Squishy Cam Madness

Tired of not driving the Machine in the garage because of the OEM flat tappet lifters, well here’s your answer for boosting confidence and HORSEPOWER!!

For the OEM headed 396, 402, or 427 let’s give the engine some reliability while boosting power
For $1095 you get

Straub Squishy Cam
Lift .600/.570
Adv. 288/300
.050 229/241
Lobe Sep 109

Matching Components
1.530OD Valve springs
7 Degree Chrome Moly Retainers for 3/8” Stem Valves
3/8” 7 Degree Locks
Double Roller timing Set
Timing Cover Gasket
Morel Street Series lifters
1 piece 3/8” Pushrods .083” Wall
Roller Cam button
Cam lock plate
Cam Bolts

This kit will give your 375HP mill another 100HP to play with on the streets. That’s 10.99 per HP!!

$1099* to your door.

• Note if rear cam journal needs to be grooved add $40 to cost.

See less See more
#2 ·
Chris,
Is this cam available as a step nose and use the retaining plate...eliminating the need for a cam button?
I've got a stock '70 SS 402/350hp engine and seriously thinking about going with this kit!! But I hate fooling with a cam button while using a stock timing cover.
Also...what stall do you recommend? TH400 w/3.31 posi.
How well would this cam work with stock exhaust manifolds? Iron intake and Q-jet?
I'm going for a stock LS3 400 Malibu look in my wagon...

Lastly, how much lead time is needed to produce & ship this kit?

#3 ·
Hey Bill, I never had any luck with the stamped steel BB or SB timing chain covers with the roller cam thrust buttons. The timing chain cover flexes way too much. We have seen big power drops at 4000 rpm and higher. When we were recording the engine dyno pulls with the GoPro camara, we could see the cover flexing as the RPM increased. The aluminum chain covers don't appear to flex. Take care retired dude:)

#4 ·
EXACTLY my point Pat. :thumbsup: And the reason for inquiring about a Gen 6 style step nosed cam...but with a fuel pump lobe.
I've seen the paint (burned?) worn off the OUTSIDE on a stamped steel timing cover right where the cam button rubs.

#5 ·
Chris, the lifters that come with this kit, I assume they are the 5374's?? Have they been improved to where they are now good for .600 lift? Seems previous threads would lead one to believe that they were only a stock replacement retro-fit item good for low to mid .500 lifts...Whats the real story?
Thanks!

#6 ·
Dave,
Key is they need to be designed for a .700" wheel and have a gentle closing ramp. Morel does not want the lifters on anything over .365" lobe lift so with a 1.7 ratio that puts it at .620 lift.

Yes they are the 5374's.

Chris

#12 ·
I wouldn't say it is the only way to go. Some blocks need clearancing to run the late model set. If you have the engine together then have to take a grinder to it ....well its not fun.

Chris

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.