Race Deck Garage Floor - Thoughts? - Chevelle Tech
Tools & Shops Shop Rat HQ

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 17, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Race Deck Garage Floor - Thoughts?

Epoxied my floor 3 years ago..... didn't turn out too bad.... but it's not the most impressive job either.... once I am finished with 71 restoration thought I would purchase flooring tiles from 'Race Deck.' A little more expensive than I would like, but it looks much better. Anyone using it? Like it? Other equal substitutes out there? Thanks and Happy New Year
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 17, 9:41 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

Re: Race Deck Garage Floor - Thoughts?

I have been debating what to do with my garage floor also. I did look into Racedeck but ruled it out in spite of the many positive reviews it has received and from the ease of installation standpoint, it's hard to beat but it is PLASTIC and if your floor isn't smooth to begin with it will creak when you drive/walk on it. I'm sure it's durable but I would prefer industrial PVC tiles over it but installation can be tedious (trying to keep tight seams and straight lines) and temperature at installation time is a consideration. But, if you damage a tile it can be easily replaced. Another down side to PVC is the routine maintenance to keep it looking respectable. Most of the epoxy coatings want you to either etch the surface (like U-Coat It) or profile/grind it prior to applying the coating which can be really messy. The best option and probably the most expensive is a Polyaspartic Polyurea which can also be the most durable and longest lasting. Preparation is key and installation can be done in one day (so THEY say!).

Regardless which one I choose, I will have to invest in a couple of good welding blankets to protect the floor when I decide to make some sparks. I've been debating what to do for ten years so good luck with your decision and keep us posted!

Dave
USAF Retired (1968-1988)
UTC Aerospace Systems, Space Systems International - Retired (1989-2014)
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 17, 10:53 AM
Team Member
Randy

I've also been looking at RaceDeck tiles, but cost is holding me back. I was quoted ~$2500 delivered for a 650 sq/ft garage. There's a similar private brand product made by the same company called TrueLock HD which is considerably cheaper. Both products made in the same plant in Salt Lake City.

Randy
TC # 5401
67 Project SS Clone

Owning a Chevelle project is like having a giant-size piggy bank that you keep pouring money into....but you can't get it back out.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 17, 11:17 AM
Tech Team
Richard

I used PVC tile. It looks good, easy to find screws or washers when dropped. I used white and red tile. Its been there about a year and is holding up pretty well. Like said before its easy to replace a tile although I haven't had to yet but I did pull one up. I have some pieces of ply with another tile glued to it I lay down under jack stands when used just to make sure I don't damage tile attached to the floor. I've gotten it pretty filthy and so far its cleaned up well. I think the deciding factor for me was the cost. I just have a single car garage and it cost me about $300 to level, prep and lay the tile. With my own labor of course. Time will tell if it holds up well. I don't have any doubt it'll hold up better than previous coatings. Garage is much brighter too with the red and white tile.

Richard

65 Chevelle SS Convertible 350 4 speed Muncie...hopefully complete in another year or so

65 Chevelle SS hardtop 350, 4 speed....finally completed...yay!

65 Chevelle Malibu Convertible, 350/TH350

64 Chevelle Malibu 2dr hardtop

64 Chevelle SS, 350/450hp, Muncie M21
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 17, 12:13 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

I may just be me. In my 76 years on this planet I have seen many,many floor coatings come & go. I have seen the good The bad & the ugly.
I could never have a pretty floor in my garage, WHY?
I do way to much work in it. Engines, Welding, Torch. I have way to much fun in my garage. For me, A nice finish on the cement floor along with a few oil stains, Is fine with me. My walls & Ceiling are painted white its 35 X 35 and I have 9 --4 tube T-12 fixtures.
They are coming down today. Going back up is going to be...NINE, four tube T-8s. or 36 bulbs shinning down on a Geeser and his two 70s.
I have been floored many times when trying to figure the cost of a new floor. I have been floored, You have been floored, And Cement is E-Z to sweep.
Enough of the Floor-a-da stuff. HE!!, Its 18 degrees outside my house today in Jeannette, Pa.
Bob
wihaltom likes this.

70 SS 454 El Camino- AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013---Click on the BLUE to C my 2
70 SS 454 Station Wagon - Driver
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 17, 2:40 PM
Team Member
Rich

Garage

I can't recommend that type of flooring...it's beautiful to look at, but a poor choice for working spaces. You can forget about using floor jacks, engine hoists or moving around any heavy objects as well as the spark/heat issues mentioned previously. If we had it to do again would go another route for sure. Nice floor for storage/showcasing for sure.

Last edited by HandOverFist; Jan 5th, 17 at 3:09 PM.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 17, 3:03 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

I just have plain old smooth finished concrete in.my garage so I am no expert however I assume the plastic tiles would be a bad choice. It seems anything spilled on it would be a nightmare to clean up. Can you imagine knocking over a tub with 5 quarts of used motor oil? Seems as though the epoxy coating would be the easiest to prep for, install and touch up or repair. I'm with Bob on the plain concrete. I have seen garages with ceramic tile on the floor which looked good but we're showplace garages and not working garages.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 17, 3:07 PM
Team Member
Rich

Garage

The back side of the same shop above...where all the real work gets done lol.

Rich

1967 El Camino
(under construction) http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=841082
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 17, 5:07 PM
von
Lifetime Founding Member
Von

I'm guessing the plastic or rubber floor decking would trap moisture, dirt, etc., underneath. Am I wrong?

von '69 Malibu Team Chevelle Member #15
[img]
http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/da...m/DSCN1397.JPG
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 17, 5:48 PM
Tech Team
Richard

I work in a Honda dealership. This is the exact flooring we have in all of the service area including the actual shop and service drive. The shop area is ok with it. Fluids do creep under it and no welding is performed. For our shop its ok, its easy on the back and techs don't have any problem moving carts around. However, floor jacks are rarely used. We have a cleaning machine that does a reasonable good job of cleaning although the tiles get stained easily. The shop is a fairly controlled temperature environment.

The service drive is another story. Its hot and cold changing on the outside temps. It constantly expands and contracts. The buckling was so bad less than a year after we moved in to the new building the company had to come and trim all of it back. When it contracted again the tile had big gaps where the locking tabs let go. So now we have areas with as much as 7 or 8 inch gaps the full length of the drive. Looks terrible. Always a danger of a customer tripping on an out of place tile and there are a lot of them out of place.

I do like the tile on my floor though and garage is a working garage. I'm working in it 20 to 25 hours a week, every week. Welding, spilling and dropping. Still looks pretty good.

Richard

Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandOverFist View Post
I can't recommend that type of flooring...it's beautiful to look at, but a poor choice for working spaces. You can forget about using floor jacks, engine hoists or moving around any heavy objects as well as the spark/heat issues mentioned previously. If we had it to do again would go another route for sure. Nice floor for storage/showcasing for sure.

65 Chevelle SS Convertible 350 4 speed Muncie...hopefully complete in another year or so

65 Chevelle SS hardtop 350, 4 speed....finally completed...yay!

65 Chevelle Malibu Convertible, 350/TH350

64 Chevelle Malibu 2dr hardtop

64 Chevelle SS, 350/450hp, Muncie M21
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 17, 6:01 PM
Senior Tech Team

Is there anything you can put on smooth concrete to reseal it and make it a little easier to clean? Something that will hold up to autmotove chemicals? Don't want epoxy, due to chipping and flaking from dropped tools, floor jacks, jack stands, etc? I don't know if there is anything that can be done to make it easier to wipe up spills, etc?
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 17, 12:41 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Weldon

I coated my garage floor with an epoxy coating formulated for garage floors about 25 years ago.
Other than a few spots where I got stupid, it still looks just fine and it is still smooth and slick and easy to clean up spills.
I'm sure Racedeck or other types of floor tiles are nice, but I work on everything from lawnmowers to tractors and equipment in my garage and that epoxy coating has held up well.

Weldon

64 El Camino
67 Mercury Cougar
66 Chrysler 300
2004 Dodge Dakota
2008 Chrysler Sebring Vert
2011 Harley Davidson TriGlide

Team Chevelle #5157
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 17, 11:39 PM
Tech Team
Dan

I used an epoxy about fifteen years ago. It has help up very well.
Have you ever seen a polished concrete floor?
They look awesome.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 17, 12:31 AM
Senior Tech Team
Lang

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbo View Post
I used an epoxy about fifteen years ago. It has help up very well.
Have you ever seen a polished concrete floor?
They look awesome.
When I was in the Air Force once a year we would have to put this stuff on....CLEAR CRETE [CLEAR CRETE] - $0.00 : Ritekem Specialty Chemicals & Supplies., Chemical Products - Equipment, Custom, Manufacturing As in anything connected to the Military, it probably wasn't necessary to do it every year, but it cleaned up pretty good. Just my .02.
StevenS likes this.

Ideas are like children: there are none so wonderful as your own.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 17, 9:22 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

I think polished concrete floor is just wonderful..... "" IF "" You never walk on it when it has ANYTHING on the floor,,, between your shoe sole and the polished surface.
Wet , Damp, or Fluids on a polished concrete floor. OMG ! Think about it !
Install all the safety gear you can get. Then ENTER ?
Bob

70 SS 454 El Camino- AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013---Click on the BLUE to C my 2
70 SS 454 Station Wagon - Driver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.