Craftsman tools to get new owners? - Page 4 - Chevelle Tech
Tools & Shops Shop Rat HQ

34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #46 of 66 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 17, 1:29 AM
Team Member
Randy

Re: Sears sells Craftsman brand

When I was a kid, I tinkered with lawnmowers and anything with an engine. Mr. Lee across the street didn't have any kids, and he was like an uncle to me. For my 10th birthday, he gave me a 1/4" Craftsman socket set, which I thought was the greatest gift on the planet. That was 53 years ago and I still have most of that toolset. I don't have any particular preference for Craftsman stuff, but still have fond memories of that birthday present from my neighbor.

Randy
TC # 5401
67 Project SS Clone

Owning a Chevelle project is like having a giant-size piggy bank that you keep pouring money into....but you can't get it back out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 66 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 17, 2:03 AM
Gold Founding Member
Ron

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZAUTO View Post
Ron,
Could you take a selfie and post it so that I can see your surprised look!

I learned my lesson to NOT shop at Sears MANY years ago!

I must admit, I have several Craftsman tools which I've had for many years ----------------------- NO issues with any of them. I have ZERO loyalty to any tool manufacturer. If I need a particular tool, and there are various choices, I'll shop for the lowest priced tool. Otherwise, NO Sears products nor services for me!
LOL!

I am not a fan of Sears - here in Canada they stopped selling automotive tools many years ago. What tools they did carry seemed to be a poor selection. But as a kid I recall looking at a large selection of tools in the catalogues. 15-20 years ago there seemed to be many here who loved their tools and recall many car shows on cable TV had Craftsman sponsorship. Now it seems like a check mark in the good gone bad column, end of era officially that I guess practically ended a while ago already.
Kirk's67SS likes this.

Ron Cook
'69 300 Deluxe SS396
My GM Canada Documentation

Founding member of The CanAm Chevelle Club
post #48 of 66 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 17, 7:29 AM

I went there the other to look for a tool I needed to modify and was talking to a salesman who told me that Sears was getting away from the tool buisness. I guess this is somewhat tru as is most is made in China and Black and Decker own craftsman now. I remember going there 20 yrs ago and would walk around for an hr looking at the newest stuff that had came out.

1966 coupe, 327ci, th350
post #49 of 66 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 17, 7:46 AM
Tech Team

I love craftsman tools , I have many and they are great , most of the time I just can't see the point of paying quadruple to a tool truck when my craftsman tools have always done the job.
Kirk's67SS and p40 like this.
post #50 of 66 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 17, 8:04 AM
TKG
Tech Team
Terry

When I was in the USAF (many years ago) we used a 36" Craftsman crescent wrench to "torque" the lug bolts on the units Oshkosh snow blower. Of course it wasn't long enough to get proper torque, so we added a 6' cheater pipe to it. After many years of abuse it finally broke. Took it to the local Sears guy for free replacement, they stood by it and we got a new one.
The new one was much lighter that the original, so it made a lousy sledge hammer.
That's the only Craftsman tool I ever broke.

TKG
64 Malibu Coupe
283, Fitech
2004r, 4w discs
post #51 of 66 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 17, 8:27 AM
Tech Team

There's quite a bit of this that's NOT about who owns the product, but about how the product gets into the hands of the consumer. I don't know that Stanley has a wide distribution channel or not. A big part of the value of the craftsman tool line was the built in traffic to Sears. Now with Lowes/HD/HF/ACE and the Internet, it's hard to think that Stanley will be able to do better with it that Sears was able to.

Sears still doesn't get the true nature of the problem. At least Penney's was trying something different, Sears wasn't even really trying to move into mobile. Macy's is moving hard into mobile and Walmart is buying their way into mobile, Sears is doing nothing but bleeding money and I think Stanley should have waited for a real bargain. What exactly will Stanley get that they couldn't have produced themselves?

What's so new about craftsman tools that Stanley needed to buy instead of just make?
post #52 of 66 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 17, 9:18 AM
Senior Tech Team

They get the name "Craftsman" and the brand loyalty that comes with it.
davewho1 likes this.

Jeff

`You can't beat City Hall, but you can piss on the steps."
post #53 of 66 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 17, 9:21 AM
Tech Team
billy

Garage

wonder if stanley will sell craftsman tools along side their stanley tools at walmart !
post #54 of 66 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 17, 9:35 AM
Team Member
carlo

Garage

well at least Stanley black & decker is a American manufacturer. hate to see sears go down the tubes & lose the tool line. I usually head to sears for my tools. I do like the fit & finish of the snap-on & mac etc. etc. tools. but I can't see paying 3 or 4 times more just to have a name. I've never had a sears hand tool fail on me. I've exchanged sears ratchets that were old enough to vote without any questions. and they needed to replaced because of neglect & abuse. jmo
hmardown
Kirk's67SS likes this.

72 Elky
MJ 467
Turbo 400
12 Bolt
3.42:1 Posi
post #55 of 66 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 17, 9:47 AM
T_R
Tech Team
Tom

Stanley used to make MAC tools or vice versa for a while. Not sure if they still do.

The newer craftsman sockets and ratchets aren't as good as the old stuff. I've broke my 1/2 ratchets several time. The metal is cheaper, it snaps the part the socket goes on right off. The originals from years ago I had just started skipping so I exchanged them. The sockets are also thinner wall and cheaper metal.
post #56 of 66 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 17, 10:00 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

I've had Craftsman tools in my toolbox for decades. Some were my Grandfather's, some were my Dad's, some I bought myself. My old ratchets started failing, and I exchanged them free. The new ones only seem to last me a year or two before they break.
post #57 of 66 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 17, 10:59 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bow_Tied View Post
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...into-obscurity

Looks like Sears is really struggling.
They are toast...have been toasted for years. Nothing new here at all. Circling the drain at an ever increasing rate.
post #58 of 66 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 17, 11:00 AM
Tech Team

Re: Craftsman tools to get new owners?

For all my many years of buying and owning tools, I always favored and had Craftsman vice grips (locking pliers, they have to call them). They have the unlocking tab that works in reverse of the original real brand Vice Grip, and I really liked this feature. You squeeze it towards to body of the tool. Way easier.

About five years ago, I discovered Proto had the same locking pliers, no doubt they were the maker for Craftsman. Sears and Craftsman made nothing, everything was made by contractors.

I was in Lowes yesterday and I saw this "Fat Max" Stanley locking pliers, with the same feature, but with some neat improvements. It's really nice, I bought one. Yes, it is of course made in China but isn't everything today?

I think this purchase of the Craftsman brand by Stanley will improve the Craftsman brand and tool quality.

LS1tech.com supermoderator.
How may I help you?
1971 Monte Carlo SS454-496ci 600hp
1999 Trans Am-500hp
2003 Iszu Ascender XL Limited V8
post #59 of 66 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 17, 11:23 AM
Tech Team
billy

Garage

gonna have to start checking for craftsman tools close-out/clearance at sears for some deals ! only problem is my local sears has been downsizing its tool department for quite awhile !
lucifershammer likes this.
post #60 of 66 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 17, 12:44 PM
p40
Tech Team
butch

Garage
Re: Craftsman tools to get new owners?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWagner View Post
Apparently Sears is putting some of its brands on the auction block. It will take some really good management to promote Craftsman tools in the light of Harbor Freight's improved quality with much lower prices. Getting away from the high overhead of a Sears store may help to lower prices. I was a bit surprised to see that Milwaukee is owned by a Chinese company. Dang that globalization.

Sears?s Craftsman Said to Get Interest From Black & Decker - Bloomberg
whats not owned by china or the soudis,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.