Team Chevelle banner

1970 Chevelle 515 / Hotckis - Pls Advise -Video & Pics-

773 views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  Brownd3max 
#1 ·
Ok, as you may have noticed I am determined, and with all the help with my other two posts, I dare not look at a chevelle without some community wisdom to consider. :thumbsup:

hopefully i am not the only one learning a thing or two here..

Ok, this one is a few hours away from me, and they are asking $20k (Fair price) - Major headache car?

The details I have so far its that it has a 515 motor / th400 auto with transbrake and hotckis suspension lowered 2 inches

Please see the pictures and videos below and let me know if this is worth having a closer look

Items I can see that may be of concern
1 fuel tank with sump.. does it look like something that was manually welded in or is it an aftermarket tank.. dont want any hacks, given the advise so far

2 the wiring is hanging around, looks like it could be cleaned up but is it an issue

3 what is the cable, wire handing near the fuel tank in the photo?

the motor sounds good and it appears to have power steering and breaks from the video/pics

https://vimeo.com/222993744

https://vimeo.com/222993735

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
looks like a wiring nightmare
electric fuel pump in the trunk
electric water pump
electric fans
aftermarket gauge panel in dash
problems with paint
problems with interior warped sail panel
if you can't do the work, i would look for a different car >:)

#5 ·
I do hope the driveline is NOT done like the rest of the car. I do not see a lot of things that would make me want this car. I must have missed the show of " How to build a RACECAR in three or four days, With Bubba & Fred."
I would guess, After this car is sold the seller will return to his shoemaking business. His work shows that he is a excellent Shoe Maker ! :surprise:
Bob
P.S.
This is the type of car, After you buy it, Then look at all of that WIRING & Blue Scotch Connectors..." OMG " You do not buy car insurance,,,,, You buy FIRE Insurance !

Reactions: shovelrick
#6 · (Edited)
I hate car shows, but would recommend going to as many as you can find so you can see large quantities of cars. Talk to some owners, figure out what you like and dislike in terms style and features that appeal to you and why. It doesn't seem like you have developed much of an eye for quality, that's the thing which will keep you from throwing away your money.

This car has some expensive parts thrown at it but doesn't seem to have been well thought out or executed. It's almost like they bought whatever parts they found for cheap at swapmeets and on Craigslist. Nice cars have a more finished and put together look than this one. This is also in no way a race car, the first one was at some point in time, these last two were not.

Did you realize none of the cars you have asked about have heaters? Is that something you want? What are some of the things on your "must have" list? Use that as a starting point in your search, be patient.

You also didn't include where you live in your profile. That is important since advice will often be tailored to your location.

Steve R

#7 ·
Thanks for the feedback fellas.

I live in south florida, very slim pickings around here for chevelles.

certainly done mind not having a heater, im not in a cold climate, rust if anything is more common than most places.

I am trying to find one that is in the 20K range and not the 50k-60k range.

I even found the exact one I would want black manual ss numbers matching etc but its 60k

I was more keen to find a safe solid car to put the time and work in my self to save on the money

the last thing I want is to be driving around a fire hazard though

back on the hunt

#9 ·
back on the hunt

Good call.

If looking for a street/strip machine AND you could do all the work AND it was a bunch less dollars it might be a fun street/strip project.

I am in the minority here in that I much prefer a performance build and while I appreciate original cars they just aren't or me. Granted, an original will usually (always?) be worth more and very likely more gain in value but you have to figure out what you want and press ahead (well informed).

I might suggest you expand your search area to the drier states (south west, mountain west, etc...) but please go look at something or hire a pro to look it over before laying down the cash and paying for shipping.

Although I have too many projects already, I occasionally check out craigslist in the local area (Colorado front range) and regularly see what looks like (from the ad and ad photos) good driver quality Chevelles and El Caminos in the high teens and low 20s range. Of course these are not numbers matching SS/big block cars but they do appear to be good driver/fun cars. Occasionally a low teens car will show up that needs a few things but is really pretty darn decent.

#8 ·
Proverb for OP:

I was looking for a vehicle and I find this CL ad titled "Not a Money Pit". It was at the higher end of price range for the vehicle.

Call and start discussing the vehicle. I had to ask about the title.

Owners answer "I have owned 4 of these. This is the only one that's mostly original. No cut wires. All original drive train. Stock.
One before this had a 502, Muncie, buckets, etc. Every time I drove it something broke fell off stopped working.
This one is different. It has never failed. Nothing is broken. It's stock but it all works."

One last thought:. When the seller tells you it's ALL NEW, I usually respond back with " oh cool, all that NEW CHINESE JUNK" as I end the call.

I'm out.

Enjoy your shopping.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.