12 Bolt Rear information - Chevelle Tech
What's it worth? & ebay/online sales discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 17, 1:02 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
John

12 Bolt Rear information

373 Richmond Gears /Eaton carrier unit /new bearings everything even the axles are new from Summit. Rear was assembled a few years ago but never installed. This is a c-clip style rear.
NO DRUMS INCLUDED!

Owner said it is from 69 Chevelle is it worth 1300.00 this configuration, also depending on the condition he said he had it built for car that was in Body shop but shop ruined the car by leaving outside, also would this gear combination be good for my 350, 28' tall tires currently 3.08 10 bolt and runs good on highway, want to keep that highway capability, and it I decide one day to upgrade to BB can I still use the rear with these gears
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 17, 1:29 PM
Senior Tech Team

Re: 12 Bolt Rear information

It seems like a reasonable price. I'd have it checked out by a shop before handing over the money.

As for the 3.73 gears being highway friendly, that's subjective. With a non-overdrive transmission I wouldn't consider them highway friendly, but others would. You should find an online gear ratio calculator and crunch some numbers. Make sure you are honest about the speeds you will drive, many aren't.

Good luck with your decision.

Steve R
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 17, 1:40 PM
Tech Team
Logan

Garage

$1,300 for a built 12 bolt seems pretty good in my opinion. I know family members that paid just under that for a housing alone.

Second best bet is to keep in mind your transmission, and just as Steve said, check out a gear calculator.

I had just done this the other day and it was my main argument to wake up at 6 yesterday morning to drive 2 hours there and back and buy a 200r4 from some guy's storage shed.

64 Chevelle SS

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 17, 2:09 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Eugene

I agree with what Steve has already told you. Have it checked out and find out any information about who put it together. If it wasn't setup properly during assembly it can be a disaster. I see you live in Puerto Rico so the price is probably good for their. If you have overdrive you will like the gears on the highway but if not you may have to drive a little easier. Switching to a big block down the road won't be a problem. Let us know what you do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.