What's it worth? & ebay/online sales discussions

1Likes
  • 1 Post By fishhead

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 17, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Stephen

'71 M22 value

After installing my M22Z, I'm left with what to do with the M22 that came out of my Chevelle. It is not original to the vehicle, I don't think. The date code is P1A06C, so I don't see how they would put a Jan. 6, 1971 M22 in my May '72 SS. My car was originally spec'd with an M22, but it must have gone away with the original block. What I think is a VIN stamp, located next to the date code reads 2513951 (what can be read that is). If the "513951" are supposed to match my VIN, they do not. Its a 26 spline input shaft.

The numbers read as follows:
front cover - 3915020
pass side case - 3925661
tail shaft - 3978764
inspection cover - 3952648
metal tag - 3978766W0

The trans was leaking out of the shift linkage but stopped leaking before I put the M22Z in. When the fill plug was removed, the trans was obviously overfilled. It shifts and performs just fine.

Looking online, I see M22's going for $1500 to $4000. I can't decipher what the actual differences are. All in this price range claim to be rebuilt with new internals, etc. Note I'm only looking at "real" M22's, not the Auto Gear, aftermarket ones like I just installed. Thanks for any feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 17, 6:40 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Shane

Re: '71 M22 value

I'd say somewhere around $1200-$1500 based upon what you said.

If you go to eBay and look under sold, you will see basic used m22's sell for around that $1200 range, ones refurbed $1600, $1800 and autogear for $2,000.
Saltherring likes this.

New oil is cheaper than new parts
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 17, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Stephen

Ok. Thank you for the feedback. I guess I'll need to figure out what I want to do with it. Doesn't sound like a rebuild would really net too much more for me (as I would outsource that to a professional).

My wife would love me to offset some of that M22Z cost, haha.

My Chevelle does have a '72 date coded 289 block, so I could hang on to the trans to claim "period correct" if I wanted to (if I ever sold the car and that mattered to the buyer).

I'll put this on the Lost and Found section for the off chance a '71 is missing it's M22.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 17, 1:21 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jon N.

I don't doubt that just the metal ID tag would bring $150 to $200 dollars, all by itself, and you could still sell the transmission separately.

Jon N.

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.

BIGOT is a word used by people that can't use logical reasoning to prove that you are wrong when you don't agree with them.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 17, 12:02 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Hey Stephen, what rearend are you running with that 22Z? Personally I think the Autogears would devalue the Muncie M22s are they are somewhat superior to the original. So why would someone pay big money for a 50 year old trans when they can get a brand new one for a little over $2K. Agree that one would have to look at actual sales rather than advertised units.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 17, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by blm View Post
Hey Stephen, what rearend are you running with that 22Z? Personally I think the Autogears would devalue the Muncie M22s are they are somewhat superior to the original. So why would someone pay big money for a 50 year old trans when they can get a brand new one for a little over $2K. Agree that one would have to look at actual sales rather than advertised units.
I'm running a 3.31. I hear what your saying as one of the main reasons I got the Z, besides the more desirable street gearing, was to save wear and tear on the M22. The Z was improved in every way and built to handle more power than I'll throw at my Chevelle. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.