Team Chevelle banner

1970 SS Matching #'s Red/Black

4K views 67 replies 18 participants last post by  Gearhead SS 
#1 ·
I thought I should start a thread with this one. This one looks interesting, although it looks pretty dirty under the hood.

I am curious as to what you guys think? More pics to come...

He also said its a #'s matching car and its guaranteed from the previous owner, although the seller now has no idea how to check if it truly is. I don't know how to check that either so I'll take any help I can get!

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Nice, looks like it was gold originally, and the early sequence CA plates probably mean it has spent it life in the state, which is a good sign. Still no bargain at $37k, looks like it will need a few grand in detailing if you want to make it super nice, but low to mid $30s is probably close to market.

#6 ·
Cloth buckets are not correct, a bench was available in cloth though. Steering wheel cracked too.

#8 ·
you can find a partial VIN on the engine pad, passenger side at the front of the head. Here's a pic from Dale's website that will give you an idea of where to look.

#9 ·
I also see steering wheel cracks right above the crossbar on the left and right below the crossbar on the right.

Im assuming my opinion doesn't matter much, as I posted the gold car in another thread that no one liked. But in my honest opinion; if you want a nice, driver car, you've posted lots of good options.
People can pick apart anything you want to buy but as long as you're happy it doesn't matter what others think of your car..... unless they are writing the check.
Any of the cars I put up are to show contrast to what you're looking at. I personally would be thrilled with the silver car you're going to looking at. The gold car I put up is not equal to the car you are considering. But, asking price does not equal selling price. I was just trying to show what can be bought for less money if you're willing to have the work done to get it to what you want.
If you want a driver ready car, you've already posted them. The car you're looking at is a great choice if it's as represented.
Best of luck!

#10 ·
I also don't know why you'd consider this but not the other red one from a few days ago. At that point it was because of flipper/ story, etc. But this car is in the same price range so why not?
I may sound very cynical, but I know very few people with $30-40k to spend on a fun car. So I hope my insight helps. If I was spending $30k; I'd drive the wheels off that pig. The only person buying your car is you. So in the end YOURS is the only opinion that matters.

#12 ·
Not going to hurt going to look at the Hayward car, engine bay is pretty dirty but elbow grease and paint can fix that, I didn't know about the clothe seat deal, would that be a deal breaker?, take it for a good test drive and now you know more of what to look and listen for.

#19 ·
It only hurts because I don't have the time to drive 6-7 hours and it be a waste of time. It's very frustrating driving all day (like I did last Thursday) to get there and the car not be what he was posted to be or what I though it would be. I don't have days to waste like that so I have to be picky about what I drive to look at. If it was local, that's not big deal but 6-7 hours driving sucks.

#14 ·
I see things wrong with this car too by just the pictures that are shown which have already been brought up. I think most of us realize that your not going to find a perfect car in every way and what we point out to you are things you may have missed. If you have the time go look at it that's the only way your going to learn and compare cars at the same time. I can't believe the guy said it's matching numbers but doesn't know how to check it. I would be weary of that and make sure if your going to pay decent money partially based on that you do check it for matching numbers. Another way you can look at buying a car is look at it in respect of what you find and what you can live with. Now reverse that and say next week if I had to sell it for some reason would the potential buyer I get live with what I did for the price I paid. :thumbsup:

#20 ·
Yea, my biggest challenge is time. Because none of these cars are local, they are all 3-4 hours one way. It's hard for me to take time every week to go look at them, it takes up my whole work day.

This seller is clueless. He has no clue what he has or doesn't have. The problem is he may have overpaid for the car a year and half ago when he bought it. He bought it for $36k and said he has a signed contract from the guy he bought it from that if he were to find out its not a #'s matching car, he can get his money back. Good luck on that. LOL He doesn't know where to look for the engine stamp and so forth so I told him.. he is going to look this weekend. It wouldn't surprise me if this is a clone. Which is fine by me but I'm not paying $37k for it if it is... and I don't think he will sell it for less than $37k because he doesn't want to lose money (sorry, not my fault he overpaid for something he knew nothing about).

#15 ·
IF this car is truly a #s car, $37k seems to be just a touch high. Tony is more in line with his low to mid 30s value. Myself, I'm no expert. I came to this site because I'm a Chevelle nut. I have a budget of 25k, and am into 68s. I'm not going to drag up my old threads, but I've been in the market for some time. I was told about a car by a member here. It's one of the cars from his stable. I'm waiting for that car. I haven't died waiting, I haven't gone totally insane, I've been patient for the first time in my 38 years. I was also told of the '68 currently on eBay. The deal killer for me: Bench seat, column automatic. There are certain deal killers for me, and that's one of them. I have learned a lot from this forum, and have been steered away from a couple potential disasters. Go and look at this red SS, it may be the one.

Reactions: HKalin
#21 ·
The only deal killer for me is I want a 70. I would rather have a 454 than a 396 but if its the right car, it doesn't matter. I am also open to an automatic or manual.

And I do agree, I think even $37k is high for the car (if its #'s matching) but I don't think he will budge. He is insisting that he paid $36k and added some other stuff to the car (that add no value) and he won't take a penny less than $37k. I don't mind overpaying a little if its the right car (clean and in good working condition) but I'm not paying $37k for a POS.

#23 ·
Just curious how old are you. I don't remember if your heart is set on a red car even though you looked at the silver one. I would just say consider other colors to have more of a selection. I don't know how long you've been on this website but since I bought my car and have been a member here there have been a number of real nightmare stories and pictures to prove it. Quite a few cars with bad frames. There was one guy about a year ago that had posted pictures of a car he bought that the rear end set way off to one side. Both me and others tried to figure out why. All of a sudden no more posts from him I even sent him a few PM's with no response. Maybe he turned into one of those shoelace guys like I stated in a previous post. Were all here to help you out the best we can and don't worry the right car will come along sooner or later.

#24 ·
I just signed up here at the beginning of the month. I never knew this site existed (like many other Chevelle fans I assume). I am 47 (which is one reason I want a 70). I like red/black and the silver/black but I am open to other colors, if the price is right. I've only been seriously shopping (with cash in hand) for a few months but have been casually looking for about a year. Searching for the right car is a lot of work and time consuming... that's why I was hoping the silver/black one was it (priced right, color I liked with a 454... win/win/win). I am just too worried about things like the engine now (with the knocking). Honestly, the small paint bubbles and places that needed touching up didn't bother me.... but possibly being stuck on the side of the road does.

#29 ·
How about placing ads on Craigslist in the cities that you would be willing to drive to . Basically a want ad saying what you are looking for. Stay fairly general but mention something like " I am a real buyer with real money to purchase. Not a flipper". Don't have a lot to lose by trying that. The ads are free and you could dig out a car that isn't even advertised for sale. However be prepared to get replies from scammers and people with nothing better to do than waste time.

Reactions: ghoticov
#30 ·
pm sent on cars in the phoenix/tucson area, will probably need someone to look at them for you. been there done that, 8 hour drive one way to look at a 66 that was ready for paint. owner didn't tell me they had done the body work/rust repair with spray foam and fiberglass! next one was 5 hour one way for a rust free 66 in LA that had the first foot of drivers rocker panel rusted away, as in gone, just jagged rusted metal where it used to be.

#31 ·
One thing I have learned from looking at things on Craigslist. Doesn't matter if it a car or a stick of gum. If there are no pics or anything other than good clear pics don't waste your time driving to see the item. There is about a 95% chance that item will be junk.

#34 ·
You take care of the leg work and make sure it would be a car you want someone to look at and i'll go. Certainly not an expert but know how to spot a good car. Did you see the red resto mod one in Tucson, the gold one in Phoenix isn't the right car? Just making sure you saw them, they look good in pics.

#36 ·
Is this the gold one you are refering to?
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/cto/6145277146.html

It's ok but certianly not my first choice (because of the color), although it does look pretty dang clean.

Not interested in the red resto clone in Tucson, looks too modded to me (especially for the price). I am looking for something that looks more stock (wheels, interior and so forth).

I reached out to the Red one in Phoenix, I'll let you know. I am a little concerned about a 10 year old paint job. I will find out where he is and let you know.... hopefully it wouldn't be too far but I am certainly interested.

#35 ·
One thing I can say about the Phoenix car. With a 20 + year old paint job it isn't hiding anything. Personally I would rather inspect an older paint job/body condition than a newer one that hasn't had time to expose it's flaws.

#38 · (Edited)
All I can saw is WOW...

So the guy in Hayward just sent me pics of the engine stamp. Just to refresh, this guy was sold this car as a legit SS and was "guaranteed that it was a matching #'s car" or else "he could get a full refund"... but he doesn't have a build sheet (Its a Texas car so no suprise.

Is this the worst re-stamping you guys have ever seen?

#42 ·
I would need a better picture. Stamps sometimes weren't the prettiest and mistakes were made. It looks like an older engine and on top of that not many people are trying to fake low horsepwer cars. If you are going to fake something make it an L78 or an LS6 not a basic 396. I can't say for sure if it's real without a better picture but one of the other guys might be able to see it better. Don't be too quick to give the guy bad news without knowing what you are talking about.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.