1968 Chevelle Project - Chevelle Tech
What's it worth? & ebay/online sales discussions

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 17, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ben

1968 Chevelle Project

I have the opportunity to look at a 68. This car is no motor or trans, but otherwise supposed to include all glass and pretty much everything as far as trim and interior. Bench seat, auto, not sure that it's a real ss or just badges. He said it was hit and a 1/4 panel needs replaced, but I can't tell from the pics. Said frame, structure, etc was not impacted. Also said a couple spots in the floor have small holes from rust. I haven't seen it in person yet.
Haven't gotten a price yet. I've only been told what he has turned down, which is $5500. I kind of view it as a project car that needs paint if a 1/4 really does need replaced. As such, I feel like $5500 is a little overpriced, but not too far. Could throw an auto and small block in it to drive while I finish my BBC and be into it around $6k.
Any thoughts? Thanks!

No car yet; currently looking for 66-69 project/driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 17, 11:04 AM
Senior Tech Team
Vince

Re: 1968 Chevelle Project

yeah i don't see the damage to the 1/4panel in the pictures
vin# will indicate the 138 : ss-car or 136 malibu car
need to look it over good
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 17, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ben

Just talked to him again. Apparently the 1/4 was repaired, but it sounds like a bondo job because he said you can see the damage from inside the trunk. He bought the car that way. He thinks if it were ever repainted it'd need a new quarter.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 17, 11:19 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Eugene

Do you have any friends that are bodymen you could take along with you?
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 17, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ben

No. I'll do the panel repair if it really needs a replacement. My biggest thoughts for the repair is if any structure is damaged. A friend of mine is a painter but he can't go with.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 17, 10:56 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Rick

Garage

Something looks funny on the left rear taillight.

Also those horrible looking stripes would have to go.

Quote of the day.
'The difference between trash pick up and a yard sale is the distance the stuff sits from the curb".
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 17, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ben

So first 3 of vin are 134. From what I'm seeing that's just 300 deluxe or nomad, V8 car. He said its not a sweep dash, but that could've been changed. (I thought 300 deluxe was sweep gauge). Fremont, CA car factory.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 17, 7:22 AM
Tech Team
billy

Garage

if you can get it running and be in it 6-7k that would be very good !
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 17, 8:20 AM
Team Member
Hans

If he wants 5500.00 there is no way you get this running for another 500.00 even if you have an engine and transmission.

With that said, if the car is pretty much solid and has all the glass, etc. it is probably worth that much. Past experience tells me you be at least at 20K before the car is decent looking and running. And I am not talking about a total restoration either.

Stuff adds up quickly: interior, brakes, suspension, drive line, bodywork, paint.......and so on.
HS70SS_454 and b&b's69 like this.

1969 Chevelle SS, zz454HO, Sniper EFI, Bowtie 200r4, 4.11's (money pit)
2015 F-150 KR 5.0 4x4 Crew (DD and dog hauler)
2012 BMW 128i convertible (wife's)
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 17, 8:55 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ben

I also doubt I could get it running for $500 more. My thoughts were at least $1000 and the $6k came from thinking the car was more worth around $5000. I've got access to a couple small blocks and a good auto. But I figure the car needs brakes gone through, probably driveline, exhaust, radiator, hoses, etc, etc.
of course all of this value is just going off of the sellers description. I'll be looking at it tomorrow evening so I'll have to wait until then.
He is saying it's a true SS car and that's why it's worth more. So that will be a nice chat....

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 17, 10:03 AM
Tech Team
billy

Garage

hans makes some really good points ! lets say the goal is to make this a 6-7k driver what would the total cost be needed to do this like brakes gone thru , engine parts , registration etc etc after making a list/price what would be the price point on this 68 to accomplish this ? if you have the engine/trans your money ahead but then your money behind on the quarter panel floor rust etc ! im thinking 3-4k imo ! but with only 2 pics , no interior pics , no engine bay under carriage etc it hard to calculate the numbers ! best thing is its not a 138 and you can do what you want with it without destroying an ss and it should be cheaper since its a 134 , hopefully the seller will take this into consideration and drop it down to 2k ! or at least to a reasonable number ! those little parts add up fast $$ !
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 17, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ben

Thanks everyone. At least I don't feel that I'm too out of line with my thinking. Often when I've been looking at cars I try to think; after I'm done doing body work, rust repair, get it running, etc., what is it worth and could I have just found one done for that price? Not done like restored, but done like a reliable project driver.
I'll take some pics and get them up tomorrow after I look at it. I have a feeling he's not going to take the fact that it's not a factory SS into account. He also doesn't seem to be viewing it as a project car, though that's what I think it is.

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 17, 10:36 AM
Tech Team
billy

Garage

looks like a solid project the wife thinks 5500 is a good deal ! i think you can come to terms with a reasonable number with the seller !
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 17, 10:58 AM
Gold Founding Member
Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by skreddy View Post
So first 3 of vin are 134. From what I'm seeing that's just 300 deluxe or nomad, V8 car. He said its not a sweep dash, but that could've been changed. (I thought 300 deluxe was sweep gauge). Fremont, CA car factory.
I'm pretty sure the speedos were the same in 68s, the sweep dash applies to 70-72s. I'm thinking project car too, needs a lot but looks decent. I agree about the stripes, they need to go.

70 Chevelle SS396 (496) Straub roller, M21
69 Malibu convertible
95 Z28 Convertible T56 6 speed
TC #54 Gold

69 - Top down
69 Top up
new wheels
70 side
On Gearz
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 17, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ben

Toocool...
That's interesting on the sweeps. I have not seen a sweep in a 68 except on one occasion, that was the 68 I had in high school (134 vin). But I've never seen another since, but have been told by some that they only came in some 134 vin cars.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.