Team Chevelle banner

1969 Chevelle SS Clone

3K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  blm 
#1 ·
Hi All;
I've been looking for a few months for a "nice" old car for a 3-4 day/week driver. Life has thrown me some curves, and I want to have some fun driving now. I've found a '69 Chevelle SS clone - with a new 454 in it. It's 90% of what I was looking for. Cortez Silver with Black side pin striping. It has a front bench & 4-speed. I'm a morning coffee drinker - so the 4-speed was questionable - but it's the bench seat that has be dumbfounded? If this car had console/buckets with the 4 speed - I'd say it is "the one". Part of me says that's a project that can be done later? Part of me says keep looking. Thoughts?

#4 ·
I ordered both my 69 Chevelle SS and 70 Nova SS with 4 speeds and bench seats. My current 71 Malibu has a 4 speed and bench seat also. I could go either way when buying a old car because I'm used to owning bench seat cars and bucket seat cars. We end up getting spoiled with all the features our new cars offer us now but sometimes you have to rough it to have fun. :thumbsup:

#5 · (Edited)
The car that the OP is looking at must stand or fall on its own merit....without regard to the bench seat, IMHO. If the car is otherwise "good", seats can be changed later.

Here's the reality: Looking for 45-50 year old cars is not like walking into a Chevy Dealership today and picking what options you want on your new Camaro. When buying an old car, you have to figure out what is important to you.....and look for that. Don't let the "incidentals" get in your way.

If you want to wait to find EXACTLY what you are looking for, be prepared to spend years looking and likely, a lot of money.

When searching for a classic muscle car, I would not let seats drive the decision making process....but that's just me.

#7 ·
Don't let the "incidentals" get in your way.

If you want to wait to find EXACTLY what you are looking for, be prepared to spend years looking and likely, a lot of money.
Been there, done that! Especially in the case of a clone, buy a good foundation and build (or just change) what you want.

Good luck. Would love to see pictures!

#9 ·
I bought one of these console cup holders for my 66 and love it. I've had it for about a year and a half and it's very stable without any additional mechanical securing devices. I can take it out in 30 seconds if I want to. They have a ton of different models/colors to choose from.

Tan Low Rider Floor Console: CupHoldersPlus.com

#10 ·
Post some pictures.......and how much are they asking for the car?

And like others say, make the car your own. I am sure doing it to mine, I sunk about 8K in mine since last September. Mine sure isn't numbers matching but everything is new, updated, modernized and it drives like a newer car. Love it!

#15 ·
#14 ·
My 64 Chevelle SS is Cortez Silver with a black bench seat interior and 4 speed, and I love it. I got the original black buckets and console with the car, but never felt the need to make the change to "correct".

#16 ·
I think the price is fair if the car is as nice as it shows in the two photos and comes with receipts. It costs a lot to build one right and muscle cars sure don't get cheaper over time.

#20 ·
Drogjr66, I think by pictures what was meant was good clear pictures of all areas of the car. Not putting the car down but have you looked it over very well. If you are not familiar with Chevelles I would suggest that you take someone with you that is familiar with Chevelles and have them look the car over as well.
There is a lot to inspect. Looks like this car is being sold by a dealer. At best take everything said by the dealer with a grain of salt. Could be one of the best 69 Chevelles on the planet, but proceed with caution.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.