'69 Red-on-Red SS396, Late Build, Interesting Engine Code - Chevelle Tech
What's it worth? & ebay/online sales discussions

18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 17, 2:06 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

'69 Red-on-Red SS396, Late Build, Interesting Engine Code

Pretty cool how this one has the 'C' preceding the engine suffix code. July 31st '69 engine assembly date and 3rd week of August body build.

I'm not sure when the changeover from 'JK' to 'CJK', etc happened but this is a good data point. It's interesting that the protectoplate calls out the engine code T0731JK rather than T0731CJK. Nice resto project, too, with the born-with engine and protectoplate....

1969 Chevelle SS396

Tony N.
Chevelles, Camaros, and Pontiacs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 17, 4:14 AM
Senior Tech Team

Re: '69 Red-on-Red SS396, Late Build, Interesting Engine Code

Cool car. It's got some nice old speed equipment. I hope when it's restored that stuff stays on the car, it gives it some extra character.

Steve R
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 17, 11:06 AM
Tech Team
Ole

Really cool car! I hope whoever buys it has the time, patience and $$$ to do it right. Bench seat w/auto on the column would make for a nice family cruiser.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 17, 11:34 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

It really does not look all that bad.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 17, 11:48 AM
Tech Team
Graham

Nice project.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 17, 11:59 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

I examined this one a little because my car is also a garnet red, Atlanta built with 08C build date on the trim tag. Seller states he found the build sheet under the rear seat. That got my attention as there were no build sheets that I know of from 69 Atlanta cars.
Well what he found was a broadcast sheet and not a build sheet. What is confusing me is the trim tag says build date 08C. The broadcast sheet that is in the ad has a build date of august 27th. That should be 08D on the trim tag. So they dont match.
Cool car hope buyef does it right.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 17, 12:42 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chevelle Doctor

Brad, the cowl tag date is the date the body shell was bucked up in the body shop, not thedate of assembly.
NickeyChevelle likes this.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 17, 1:16 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Thanks Dave. I didnt know that. My car has 08C on the trim tag (3rd week of August) and my shipping data report says official production was 8/21/69. Which was Thursday of the 3rd week. So I guess there were some differences of a couple days. In the example above the date on the broadcast is almost a week beyond mine.
Was the date on the broadcast sheet the date of production?
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 17, 3:21 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

69's with three character suffix codes are 402's. The "396" title is nominal
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 17, 11:12 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chevelle Doctor

It may have sat in a body bank waiting for an odd part to show up. As far as I can tell, yes the date on the sheet would be the date it was scheduled to come down through final assembly. Curt Biro's '67 L78 car had an odd spread in dates, most likely waiting for the L78 to show up from Tonawanda.
NickeyChevelle likes this.

Authentication and pre-purchase inspection service still available. PM me for more information.
Still looking for that elusive 76 Nova SS.
People who have nothing better to do than b!tch about signatures need to get a life.
70 Chevelle L78/M21
10 Avalanche LT 1500 4wd
06 Equinox
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 17, 4:56 PM
Mike

I was the lucky winning bidder on this one. My son just turned 16 and has been asking for the last year for a project car to do together. I have done several basket case full restorations, you know, where you spend more on it than its worth. But its satisfying to rescue something worthy in the end. I have done several 68, and 69 Camaros, early Monte Carlos, and a few 60's Corvettes. All of them matching numbers cars. This is my first Chevelle.

Well all and all I am very happy with what I brought home. Parts of it are very original. It definitely has the factory interior minus the original bench seat. The door panels, carpet and headliner are all factory. I have never seen door panels as nice as these. The dash pad is perfect. The headliner looks like a show car. Its a real shame they put speakers in the rear door panels. I honestly think I can ave the carpet cleaned and you couldn't tell it was near 50 years old. Its interesting that the kick panels are black. The factory must have been out of red ones during assembly.

I am just getting ready to pull the engine. The cast date is G 9 9 and the partial VIN is on the oil filter boss. I am 100 % sure this is the factory installed engine. Same with the transmission and axle. They match the protect O plate perfectly. Definitely the "born with" drive train. The heads may not be original. One is a 290 casting with a date of G 29 9 and the other is an 802 casting with a C 14 7 date. The alternator and distributor look to be the originals as well.

The body needs to come off the frame. The frame needs blasted bad and the suspension and steering components are a mess. Its going to be a fun project. I will start a thread with pictures. I will put it back factory, red/red/parchment top.

1969 SS 396
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 17, 5:04 PM
Senior Tech Team

Congratulations on your purchase. Welcome to the site.

Steve R
hond0 likes this.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 17, 6:01 PM
Senior Tech Team
Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
Congratulations on your purchase. Welcome to the site.

Steve R
Totally agree! Once again, great to see another '69 being saved. Good luck with your project and when you have questions,,,,come here. Lots of folks have walked the path you are about to take!
hond0 likes this.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 17, 8:21 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Welcome Hondo. This car was being sold close to Cleveland. Are you in that same area? I have a somewhat similar car. Mine is 69 SS built at the Atlanta plant on 8/21/69, code 52 paint, no vinyl top. Was black bench 4 speed now black buckets 4 speed. Original engine. So this one caught my eye.
hond0 likes this.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 17, 8:36 PM
Mike

Brad,

Mike here. I am actually from Pella, Iowa. Close to Des Moines. My brother and a friend and I left Pella Friday night at 730 and drove all night to Stow. We looked the car over and talked to the guys selling it about its history. Then we loaded her up and brought her home. 1300 miles in 22 hours. It was a ton of car talk and ton of fun. My friend is a Chevelle guy and my brother is a Chevy guy like me. They were both trying to get me to sell it to them all the way home.
Steve R likes this.

1969 SS 396
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.