'67 L78 El Camino - Chevelle Tech
What's it worth? & ebay/online sales discussions

20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 16, 3:04 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

'67 L78 El Camino

Found this one via another TC member...thanks Bobby!

If this car is real, it has to be ultra rare. The seller lists the block codes which look to be legit - I guess I'd want to see the stampings and decide for myself.

Has the close ratio Muncie 'Q' code on the trim tag denoting M21.

Awesome car. Seems to be priced fairly at $34.5k (Craigslist price)

1967 Chevelle El Camino

Tony N.
Chevelles, Camaros, and Pontiacs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 16, 3:51 PM
Senior Tech Team

Re: '67 L78 El Camino

It looks like s nice car. The problem with the ad for this car, and so many other "rare" and desireable performance models is, why doesn't the seller show pictures of the relevant casting and stamped numbers. This seller is obviously knowledgeable, so why not include those pictures in the ad. It's getting to the point where the default position should be the car isn't what the seller claims unless pictures of documentation and stampings are provided in an upfront manner.

Steve R
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 16, 4:20 PM
Tech Team
Dwight

Wow, what a rare car if it is real. One of 612 for 67. Cannot say I have ever seen another one in this year Elcamino.

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 16, 1:18 AM
Team Member
Rich

Garage

Ask what they did with the factory flat hood...they don't make them anymore. Also note the hole they drilled thru the dash strip for that stupid tach's wiring.
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 16, 9:24 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Auction ended...someone got a good deal.

Tony N.
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 16, 10:03 PM
Tech Team
billy

Garage

wow a 4-speed l-78 elco ! awesome !
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 16, 12:04 AM
Senior Tech Team
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70L34 View Post
Auction ended...someone got a good deal.
Looks like the seller ended the auction.

55 210 Chevrolet New project
64 El Camino (sold to finance new project)
67 SS Chevelle '396
69 Sanger Flat Bottom boat
77 El Camino parked daily driver
78 Z/28 Camaro, High School Car Class of 80 350'
80 Spectra 21' Mini Day cruiser Blown 454
88 IROC Camaro (sold to finance new project)
1994 fac2 dr Blazer 4x4
02 F-250 7.3L Diesel 4" lift
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 16, 7:44 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

A very well known Chevelle guy who is a friend of mine owned this truck back in 1990-1992 (before I knew him), and had told me about it a couple years ago. I have been hunting it ever since!

Thanks to Bill Wente (67since67) for alerting me to the auction. I went and looked at it earlier this week. It is the Real McCoy, and it will be in my garage Sunday night!

Original block with virgin factory original stamps. Original heads and intake. Original L78-only 4-row radiator with finger guard, correctly dated for the truck. Original L78 DG crank pulley and WP pulley. The holes are in the dash for the missing factory tach.

Correct real factory FS tilt column and factory wood wheel. It also has the noise condenser on the heater motor wire that only came on AM/FM cars. I asked my friend (the prior owner) about it, and he says he snatched the FM out of it before he sold it in 1992. He was going to take the tilt but didn't have a straight column at the time to install (thank goodness!). So this was a very nicely optioned L78 truck!

Body appears as straight as one could ever hope for. The missing Malibu side trim will take some careful effort to reopen the holes in the exact correct locations, but we can handle that! And the window channels and all the floor pans are in immaculate condition (other than the holes drilled for the bucket seat bolts, which will be an easy fix).

As soon as the DMV inspection is done (they require that here now for old cars coming in from out of state), the tear down will begin to put this truck back to factory colors, trim and interior configuration -- Deepwater blue with medium blue (the silvery blue color) bench seat.

I have most every missing part it needs, except a nice bench seat with medium blue hinge covers and seatbelt slot guides, and a set of dated standard seatbelts for a medium blue interior. I'll be on the hunt for all that, and any help would be appreciated!

I also have already found the widow of the original owner!! She has promised to send me copies of pictures when it was new!! She asked me to send her a picture of a POP warranty book, and she's going to hunt for that too!! I will be saying my prayers
70L34, Steve R, CDN SS and 3 others like this.

Jeff Helms
-65 Z16 Survivor (Red/black/white int.) (Survivor Z16 Picture album)
-65 Z16 drag car, unrestored (Red/Red)
-65 SS Convertible (Red)
-65 300 2-dr Wagon, Modified (Tuxedo Black)

-66 SS L78 Coupe (Marina Blue), unrestored
-66 SS L34/M20 Survivor Coupe (Aztec Bronze) - 'Vintage Legend' Certified (Survivor 66 Picture Album)
-66 SS Convertible (Marina Blue)- "LOADED"

-67 SS L78 Survivor Coupe (Grenada Gold)
-67 SS L34/M21 Survivor Coupe (Tahoe Turquoise)
-67 SS L34/M20 Convertible (Bolero Red)
-67 ElCamino L35/M20 (Butternut Yellow)
-67 Concours Station Wagon (Mountain Green)

-67 Camaro SS350 Survivor (Grenada Gold)- 'Vintage Legend' Certified by the American Camaro Association
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 16, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Awesome Jeff! That thing is killer. I can't imagine they made more than low double-digit numbers of L78 El Caminos in '67!

Tony N.
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 16, 10:43 PM
Team Member
Rich

Garage

Where does one go for a definitive answer on production of these? Standard Google search shows nothing concerning 396/375 availability in 1967 El Camino's.

Rich

1967 El Camino
(under construction) http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=841082
post #11 of 52 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 16, 11:27 PM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandOverFist View Post
Where does one go for a definitive answer on production of these? Standard Google search shows nothing concerning 396/375 availability in 1967 El Camino's.
There is no definitive production numbers based on engine/body style except for the L35 in El Caminos and even then it's a toss up since any 396 was available in 13480 and 13680 El Caminos. That said there were 2565 L35s listed as sold as an RPO; those would have gone into the 2 El Camino series since the L35 was the base engine in the SS396 and wouldn't be listed as an option.

If one takes a statistical approach, the 2 El Camino series made up about 5.74% for the 13480 and 27.1% of the 4 series/body styles that could order the L78. Take that (roughly) 33% of the total L78s (612) and one gets 35 for the 13480 and 166 for the 13680, Feasible? Probably not but that's how the numbers work out.
post #12 of 52 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 16, 11:52 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffschevelle View Post
A very well known Chevelle guy who is a friend of mine owned this truck back in 1990-1992 (before I knew him), and had told me about it a couple years ago. I have been hunting it ever since!

Thanks to Bill Wente (67since67) for alerting me to the auction. I went and looked at it earlier this week. It is the Real McCoy, and it will be in my garage Sunday night!

Original block with virgin factory original stamps. Original heads and intake. Original L78-only 4-row radiator with finger guard, correctly dated for the truck. Original L78 DG crank pulley and WP pulley. The holes are in the dash for the missing factory tach.

Correct real factory FS tilt column and factory wood wheel. It also has the noise condenser on the heater motor wire that only came on AM/FM cars. I asked my friend (the prior owner) about it, and he says he snatched the FM out of it before he sold it in 1992. He was going to take the tilt but didn't have a straight column at the time to install (thank goodness!). So this was a very nicely optioned L78 truck!

Body appears as straight as one could ever hope for. The missing Malibu side trim will take some careful effort to reopen the holes in the exact correct locations, but we can handle that! And the window channels and all the floor pans are in immaculate condition (other than the holes drilled for the bucket seat bolts, which will be an easy fix).

As soon as the DMV inspection is done (they require that here now for old cars coming in from out of state), the tear down will begin to put this truck back to factory colors, trim and interior configuration -- Deepwater blue with medium blue (the silvery blue color) bench seat.

I have most every missing part it needs, except a nice bench seat with medium blue hinge covers and seatbelt slot guides, and a set of dated standard seatbelts for a medium blue interior. I'll be on the hunt for all that, and any help would be appreciated!

I also have already found the widow of the original owner!! She has promised to send me copies of pictures when it was new!! She asked me to send her a picture of a POP warranty book, and she's going to hunt for that too!! I will be saying my prayers
Surprised Bill did not buy it but glad you got it great color combo

66 CDN Malibu SS A51,L34,M20 Aztec Bronze
Was 439ci Straub Solid Roller Brodix RR,
SOLD
,Tremec by Liberty

10.97/ 124.31 1.41 60ft
New Foxwell 475ci Power ready to go back in
Crusin / Track video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhvDGOO4JAI

Engine
post #13 of 52 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 16, 12:06 AM
Team Member
Rich

Garage

So, all this means that this one came from the factory with SS badges and SS hood installed?

Rich

1967 El Camino
(under construction) http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=841082
post #14 of 52 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 16, 12:42 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleM View Post
There is no definitive production numbers based on engine/body style except for the L35 in El Caminos and even then it's a toss up since any 396 was available in 13480 and 13680 El Caminos. That said there were 2565 L35s listed as sold as an RPO; those would have gone into the 2 El Camino series since the L35 was the base engine in the SS396 and wouldn't be listed as an option.

If one takes a statistical approach, the 2 El Camino series made up about 5.74% for the 13480 and 27.1% of the 4 series/body styles that could order the L78. Take that (roughly) 33% of the total L78s (612) and one gets 35 for the 13480 and 166 for the 13680, Feasible? Probably not but that's how the numbers work out.
I believe it would be a MUCH smaller number than that, for several reasons. First, 13480 and 13680 total production figures (used in Dale's math above) include all small block ElCaminos too. So if you were going to extrapolate big block Elcs as a percentage of all big block production, you would have to find a way to back out all the small block elcs from the numerator of the fraction, or add in all the small block coupes and verts in the denominator of the fraction. By including all V8 elcs but only big block coupes and verts, it yields a vastly higher percentage of elcs with any given big block engine option than is realistic. As proof of that, if only 2565 L35 Elcs were built, that would be a MUCH smaller percentage of all L35's produced than 32.85%.

Second, if you wanted to order an L78 to street race or drag race, you weren't likely to order an Elcamino, which would just spin the tires off! I suspect a higher percentage of Elcs received accessory trailer hitches than coupes and verts did, and the opposite logic would likely be true for high performance engine options.

Third, has anyone ever seen another [real] one? Or even heard a story about another one? I know I haven't!

With all that said, we'll never know the number built for sure. But I suspect this is the rarest vehicle I've ever sat in!
post #15 of 52 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 16, 12:43 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandOverFist View Post
So, all this means that this one came from the factory with SS badges and SS hood installed?
No, the badges and hood were added, apparently when the car was painted black in the late 80's. But they'll all be gone soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.