Team Chevelle banner

'70 L78 - Oshawa built - what?

7K views 33 replies 17 participants last post by  mr 4 speed 
#1 ·
I was under the impression Oshawa didn't build any solid-lifter '70 big block Chevelles. Am I wrong?

Engine stamp looks crazy to me, and the trim tag doesn't include Z25.... Probably a 330hp 402 4-speed car, seeing as it has the big-block steering shaft.

Chevrolet Chevelle SS | eBay

See less See more
#4 ·
Yes, that cowl tag is from an Oshawa built car, but I do not believe the car is a true SS. The cowl tag for Oshawa cars will actually state SS package with the RPO code. Please see the photo of my cowl tag, attached. All my cowl tag says is SS396 package, it doesn't specify engine, L34 vs L78.

I have gotten the GM Canada info package for my car as well as a found a build sheet, and I have verified that she is an SS396 with L34 and M20.

Attachments

#8 ·
this quote came from Dales site about the option A51 from Canadian built cars.

"the RPO A51 stood for Bucket Seats, but in Canada it stood for an option package referred to by GM Canada as 'The Sports Option'. They may as well have referred to it as 'The Malibu SS Option' since that's what it was, but it also turned a Beaumont Custom into a Beaumont Sport Deluxe. It even turned a Pontiac Parisienne (sort of a Catalina/Chevrolet hybrid) into a Parisienne Custom Sport."

now this quote is in reference to 66-67 Malibu SS cars and this car is a 70.but being that it is still a Canadian built car there still might be something to this code for 1970 models.now all you really have to do is contact GM of Canada and get the docs to solve this mystery

#10 ·
if the car was real the seller should spend the cash and get the Canadian documentation. But I highly doubt it.
No Z25 on the cowl tag=no SS. period.
VIN indicates the car was built in March of 1970 so no L78
Engine suffix stamping looks right,but VIN not correctly stamped,IMHO
Only "mystery" here is why doesn't seller buy the Canadian docs...and I bet he knows why,IMHO

#13 ·
To many red herrings here to blindly trust on faith that it's real. "If something is too good to be true, it probably is."

Your mileage may vary…

#14 ·
L78's in Chevelles not available after Nov. 69. Solid lifter engines came from the USA plants. Seen MANY of the microfiche's over the years and never saw any variance on this,

The VIN stamp on this engine truly looks unique.

To add to the confusion, I see the unique front marker lamps which on SS cars were clear.:nerd::grin2:

#20 ·
There is not quite perfect, and then there is "Go home! You're drunk again!"

Here's a smattering of VIN stamps for 1970 Chevelles from Chevelles.net...

Attachments

#19 ·
Would like to see the stamp that is probably down at the oil filter area.

#21 ·
It's fraud, clear and simple. Buyer beware. Way too late for a real L78, No Z25 on the cowl tag means it's not a real SS. Even an LS3 would have that on the tag. VIN for future reference... 1363701547160.

And no, even the Tonawanda stamp is not legit.

#23 ·
I just wish eBay would allow the world at large to call bull**** on obviously fraudulent postings.

#26 ·
Well, the seller is correct, they did build the orders that they had in queue... last known L78 was built 12/8/69 in Baltimore.

#27 ·
They didn't make any L78 Chevelles in Canada. Period.
They would have sold them new in Canada but they would have come from a U.S. plant. For 1970 Oshawa only built L34 & LS5 powered Chevelle SS models, no L78, LS6 or L89 cars.

Now somebody lunching an engine and wishing to pay the difference could upgrade to an L78 crate engine. Functionally you would have an L78, but it would not be one originally.

VVS docs can reveal all.

#28 ·
I'm with Mr4speed...it is NOT an SS car. The engine and VIN may well match each other and the title because they were installed on the body.
I have 2 Oshawa built 1970 SS cars and they have Z25 on the tag. His does not...end of discussion. The body tag ,also, will not indicate hp of said 396. The build docs will show what engine was originally installed.

Getting docs for the current vin may well indicate a real SS car. What is not known is the actual vin for the body. What's the chance the seller would be willing to post pics of the vin tag rivets..top and bottom ?? OR the CONVIN under the heater, if there.

For the record, ANYONE can get the docs from George for $125 to verify how the car was originally built. For another ~ $50 he will expedite the request and fax/email the docs the same, or next, day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.