Team Chevelle banner

Rust Free #s '65 L79 Project

3K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Verle 
#1 ·
Nice body on this one to say the least (it's shown in bare metal), and it's got a nice color combination of maroon with black buckets.

'65s seem to be all over the place, but I'm guessing the seller wants around $20k for this one. At least you won't be stuck doing endless rust repair....

The plaque on the firewall is also interesting. Anyone know Steve Sears or Cesari Racing Enterprises?

Chevrolet Chevelle Super Sport | eBay

See less See more
#4 ·
Look closely ... a lot of work. Hood needs replacing, needs full interior, fender is repro, and missing parts. IMO ... PASS (it's not worth 5K).

Update: Where's the clutch pedal?

#7 ·
Halfway decent looking body shell, but Whoa Nelly on the rest of it. Highly optioned? Sure looks like it has pretty few options. It would take a mountain of money to restore it to complete and proper stock condition regardless of the solid body. Soooooo many original L79 parts missing. The correct carb is not hiding under that cloth and not even the intake manifold is correct.

#13 ·
Well, it has already had a trunk pan put in it (that is a 66-67 pan, not 64-65, and is missing the spare tire anchor). So how much else has already been patch-paneled and ground??? I would be mortified of a body (no matter how nice) that was stripped bare and left outside for any material length of time. That's a failed paint job waiting to happen!!

#15 ·
It's back with better pictures and a $15k buy-it-now. I still think it's a great project and not in THAT bad of condition. I guess having lived in CA for years, and knowing this car has spent its entire life in the Baldwin Park area, the rust is probably very minimal (coastal cars are a different story).

One thing I did see a lot of in CA is brazed and leaded panel repairs from decades past, before wire welding was a regular thing. I think the roof joint is the remnant of an old brazed-and-leaded quarter...the more recent pics show this pretty clearly.

Check out the VIN stamp on the block...what a disaster...but consistent with Fremont stampings I've seen...

#16 ·
One thing I did see a lot of in CA is brazed and leaded panel repairs from decades past, before wire welding was a regular thing. I think the roof joint is the remnant of an old brazed-and-leaded quarter...the more recent pics show this pretty clearly.

Check out the VIN stamp on the block...what a disaster...but consistent with Fremont stampings I've seen...

That is not a factory joint on the roof. I think it is too high and the factory roof curved down at the back to the slope of the sail panel. That is a piece of metal that was added.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.