Team Chevelle banner

Laura's 72 is on eBay

11K views 77 replies 35 participants last post by  Philip 
#1 ·
#4 ·
Beautiful original car, like the sixer. 11,500.00 to 12,000.00 would be my guess, a bit unusual. Super clean.

#8 ·
She's been posting about it on Facebook (I rarely go on, yet some people I want to keep in touch with are only really accessible through there.. Ugh). Sucky situation that she has to unload it, and a sucky time of year to get that kind of price for it. Very nice looking car.

#11 ·
Cool car although it'd probably cost another $1200 to get it over here to GA.
I'd have no problem leaving it as a 6 cyl. Got tilt wheel & PS too.
BTW...Who is "Laura"??

#16 ·
That is one of the few inline six Malibus I've seen that had a tilt wheel. As for the trans, for 1971 & 72 the only automatic offered on 6-cylinder Chevelles was the Powerglide. On Canadian-built 71-72 Chevelles the TH350 was also offered behind the sixes.

#26 ·
Yes, I replaced the original column with a make/model/period correct original tilt. The body shop that specializes in classics did a fantastic job transitioning it in.

Also, as an FYI, my eBay auction expires in mere minutes! My reserve was not met, so it stays with me. I'm pulling a few stunts to shuffle finances, so that I can hold onto it until Spring then make another big push to sell it then. I'm just getting bombarded by lowball, uneducated offers and excessive commentary (not all of it is bad, but some of it gets discouraging at times). I'm more than aware it's a tricky sale and an odd duck of a car, but I believe in its worth and will stand by it even if I have to donate a kidney to wait on the right buyer. As you can see I've come wayyyyy down in price, but I'm not falling for a bunch of gearhead critics explain away the value I KNOW it has, so they can turn around and buy it off me for pennies.

Thanks to all who have offered support and productive feedback! I'm a 32 year old woman who hasn't lived her whole life in a garage, so I'm still learning, too. It will remain up for sale on Hemmings and feel free to message me anytime with questions :)

#31 ·
I'M the right person....I just can't afford the car and the divorce that comes with it! Sweet car Laura, hang in there.

#30 ·
Come up with your lowest price and stick to it. Nothing like letting someone low ball you and see it up for sale a couple months later at twice the price because they can afford to sit on it. Its a cool car and eventually a buyer will find it. Jim

Reactions: blue_69_malibu
#32 ·
Just my two cents, in hopes that it may be of value to you:

1) Having no eBay feedback score hurts you, IMHO. While you may feel the love on this forum, off of it....people prefer not to bid on a car when the Seller has a feedback score of ZERO. You're guilty until proven innocent on eBay feedback.

2) The "rarity" of the six cylinder doesn't really add to the vehicle's value, IMHO. While it may indeed be relatively rare, it's really not desirable, per se, to most people. I personally don't believe that the 250 yields any kind of premium at all. It typically merits a discount in price.

Edit: 2.1) If this car has a Powerglide.....well, it's gonna limit the $$$.

3) Please realize that this is coming from someone who owns a Frost Green '69: the factory color of that car has a very limited appeal. Some may actually like it. And fortunately, the interior is black. But that color gold, brown, and possibly white are probably the three least desirable colors in 1972, IMHO.

4) It may not seem like a big deal, but manual (drum?) brakes are somewhat of a turn off, IMHO. Coupled with the 250, this car was essentially (perhaps not quite) the cheapest Chevelle money could buy in 1972.

That said, you have a very clean, solid, original, unmolested car with low miles and documentation.....whatever the later is worth on a Malibu. Your car is definitely a time capsule. These cars are harder and harder to find. The color is subjective. If the car was born with a 350 motor, TH350, and power disc brakes in the front, I think you'd have gotten closer to your asking price. With a more popular color and these options, I think you'd be at 18K or possibly higher.

Is all hope lost? No....not at all. Not by a long shot. The car is still desirable. But to get top dollar...with the way the car was optioned....it may simply take a while.

I sincerely wish you the best of luck going forward.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.