781 & 990 BBC heads - Chevelle Tech
What's it worth? & ebay/online sales discussions

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 11, 8:01 PM Thread Starter
Flip
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Newnan, GA
Posts: 8
781 & 990 BBC heads

I'm building a 496 BBC and have 2 sets of heads, 781 ovals and 990 rects. Both are presently stock, no porting but have been cleaned and maged. Have a new set of valves for either, Ferreas and Manleys 2.19 or 2.25 and 1.88 valves. I'm leaning towards using the 781's since its going to be for the street but curious what the heads on either side might be worth. I was going to put a set of 2.19 & 1.88 Ferrea Comp Plus in the 781's and I have a set of Manley Severe Duty 2.25 or 2.19 & 1.88 was going in the 990's. Just curious what a good set of these heads with reasonable vlaves are fetching nowadays! Thanks!
1sweet69c10 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 11, 8:17 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Todd
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Mooresville,IN
Posts: 4,492
Re: 781 & 990 BBC heads

I believe tHE 781'S WILL NEED .100 Longer valves if you want to put a big spring on t hem.


the 781's ready to bolt on you might get $500-$600 nowhere near what you will have in them after you have them opened up for the larger valves.

jmo
Tod74 is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 11, 8:42 PM Thread Starter
Flip
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Newnan, GA
Posts: 8
Re: 781 & 990 BBC heads

I got both sets of heads complete for less than what you suggested for the 781's alone without anything done. Figured I'd invest in the 781's cause theyre more streetable and sell the 990's to offset the cost, popping in new valves as well since theyre already 2.19 / 1.88.
1sweet69c10 is offline  
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 11, 8:58 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Todd
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Mooresville,IN
Posts: 4,492
Re: 781 & 990 BBC heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sweet69c10 View Post
I got both sets of heads complete for less than what you suggested for the 781's alone without anything done. Figured I'd invest in the 781's cause theyre more streetable and sell the 990's to offset the cost, popping in new valves as well since theyre already 2.19 / 1.88.
YOU SAID THE 781'S WERE STOCK. I took that to mean that you were going to have the 2.19's installed,which would mean they would be fresh from the shop when you sold them. To have a set freshened up and opened up to 2.19/1.88 correctly,after valve job etc you would likely have around $900 in them. That is based on prices around here.

P.S. I wouldn't pay what I suggested unless they were fresh and I knew/trusted the shop that did the work. Just hogging therm out and sticking big valves in them is pointless.
Tod74 is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 11, 1:11 PM Thread Starter
Flip
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Newnan, GA
Posts: 8
Re: 781 & 990 BBC heads

OK, guess I asked the wrong question. I was more concerned about the 990's with new Manley Severe duty valves and what they would be worth than the 781's even if I enlarged them. Also, I won't have that much in my heads, even from our local reputable shop here in GA. I was only curious how much they would be worth, not how much I'd put into them, I'm already aware of that but THANKS!
1sweet69c10 is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 11, 1:25 PM
Senior Tech Team
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Talking Rock, Ga
Posts: 1,355
Re: 781 & 990 BBC heads

They bring about the same price as the 781 or 049's, around $400-500. The reasoning is, they originally came out on crate engines, or sold OTC, so they have no real demand from restorers, plus there are ALOT better heads available for racers, so they kinda get left behind by both parties. I was standing next to a guy who bought a set , complete , for $200, a couple years ago. They were 1979 990's, and he only did a valve job on them, and ran them on his bracket car. Email me when you get ready to sell, I might be interested in them. Doug

Last edited by Doug Garland; Jan 23rd, 11 at 2:28 PM. Reason: add text
Doug Garland is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 11, 2:00 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Todd
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Mooresville,IN
Posts: 4,492
Re: 781 & 990 BBC heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sweet69c10 View Post
OK, guess I asked the wrong question. I was more concerned about the 990's with new Manley Severe duty valves and what they would be worth than the 781's even if I enlarged them. Also, I won't have that much in my heads, even from our local reputable shop here in GA. I was only curious how much they would be worth, not how much I'd put into them, I'm already aware of that but THANKS!
This set is supposed to be NOS but they are bare.I would think fresh with new valves in them you could still get $500 for them. Just my opinion.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BIG-BLOCK-CHEVY-HEADS-990-LS6-LS7-NOS-BRAND-NEW-BBC-/290524325648?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories &hash=item43a4996710
Tod74 is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 11, 8:19 PM Thread Starter
Flip
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Newnan, GA
Posts: 8
Re: 781 & 990 BBC heads

Yep, as of 8:10pm EST 1-23-2011, those ebay heads were up to $610 with $125 shipping. Mine are '77 castings with everything (studs, guides, valves and springs), fresh back from the shop tanked and magged. New Viton seals, 2.19 and 1.88 stainless, swirlpolish, undercut stem valves. Springs were tested and specs are at the house, wanna say around 450 seat pressure, not sure what cam was originally in it. Just thought theyed be worth a lil more than 5 bills. Then again, things are worth only what someone is willing to pay for it.
1sweet69c10 is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 11, 9:32 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Todd
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Mooresville,IN
Posts: 4,492
Re: 781 & 990 BBC heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sweet69c10 View Post
Yep, as of 8:10pm EST 1-23-2011, those ebay heads were up to $610 with $125 shipping. Mine are '77 castings with everything (studs, guides, valves and springs), fresh back from the shop tanked and magged. New Viton seals, 2.19 and 1.88 stainless, swirlpolish, undercut stem valves. Springs were tested and specs are at the house, wanna say around 450 seat pressure, not sure what cam was originally in it. Just thought theyed be worth a lil more than 5 bills. Then again, things are worth only what someone is willing to pay for it.

Put em on ebay with a reserve.If they don't sell relisting is free.
Tod74 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply
Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome