Team Chevelle banner

1965 Super Sport

22K views 95 replies 24 participants last post by  1965_ss 
#1 ·
So I picked up this 65 SS a few months back. It's an original SS with protecto-plate. It's got about 90,000 original miles. Previous owner rebuilt the original engine as you can see and I didn't get any of the original parts to the engine, long gone. The previous owner also put in a turbo 350 trans, powerglide long gone also. The original 10 bolt still is in place and up front the previous owner added disc brakes. It also came with an aluminum radiator with electric fan. The interior has been completely redone. The previous owner also added the rims and tires. How you see it is how I bought it. The only thing I've done so far is add a Wilwood master cylinder and rear seatbelts to match the front so I can take the kids out.
I'm thinking DSE components, BAER brakes, ABC Performance mini tub, El Caminio boxed frame, etc, etc.......
Progress will be very slow $$$, I just figured I would start a thread and update it once in awhile.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Thanks!

Todd,
Very nice car ! Can you provide the wheel and tire sizes?
Craig
17x8 5" backspacing 245/45-17, 18x9 6" backspacing with .25 spacer 265/50-18. This is the backspacing that was told to me by the previous owner, I have not measured it myself.

Looks like a real nice car, enjoy.
Thanks!

About time :D
Nice car Todd. I'd have some suggestions for you about the frame/chassis selection and modification based on my experience.

Let me know if you'd like a pm or put it here.
Looking forward to you're project transformation.
Sounds good! Now you know why I hang out in your build thread;)

#7 ·
So on the El Camino frame you mentioned, why use that instead of boxing a HT frame? If you are considering the ABC minitubs, you'll be sectioning the rear frame rails anyway. Plus, the El Camino frame is longer behind the rear axle, so it would need to be shortened anyway. Just my thoughts.
I boxed and notched mine before Tony's kits were available. Now that the parts are available, it would be a huge time saver to use them. Could you do it cheaper? probably. But not when you figure in all the time to make templates, adjust, cut, trim, and weld them.

DSE makes some quality stuff no doubt, and it works. As you know, I have ABC front and rear stuff with Ridetech T/A's on mine. Couldn't be happier. But I have nothing but stock stuff to compare it to. One thing that is unique about his rear suspension is the use of OEM type cross-axis joints for full and smooth articulation. Plus the joints are fully sealed too, a plus for daily driven cars. I think the Ridetech suspension would be a great setup too. Too many choices:yes: All things to consider of course.

Ok, you started the build thread, now we can hound you for updates:beers:

#8 ·
On the frame.........this car had been hit in the right front so the frame horn has been repaired, kind of. You can tell it was heated up and pulled on with a chain, leaving chain marks and metal that is bent up and down on the front horn rail. The only reason I'm thinking of an El Camino frame is because I have a friend that has a 67 frame that I could use. I know it would have to be shortened a little in the back, but the side rails are already boxed so that saves some time there....maybe? So I either use his frame or find another, either way I want to do the ABC kit. I want the Roadster Shop chassis real bad but I don't have $20K sitting around. I was thinking of building up the 67 frame on the side as time and money permit and then just swapping the body over to it when it's done. This keeps my car drivable. We shall see.

#15 ·
Always love it when I see another 65 in THIS section. More "steal" ideas from I guess. Bwaahahaha

Great factory shade too. Mine in SS trim.
It is a factory white with two tone blue interior. When the previous owner redid it he kept it original. You don't see that very often........I might change it in the future though, although that is WAY down the line....I want performance parts first:D

#20 ·
There ARE ways to get decent pro-touring performance without spending cubic money. For no more than I spent on the chassis build on my wagon, I was very impressed with the results. It is a great car to drive, just wish I had more supportive seats!

#27 ·
Funny how they are always without shoes. Mine do the same thing..

Wow, you removed the interior too?!

#30 ·
Wow, you removed the interior too?!
Yep. I'm going to install ABC mini tubs, cut the tunnel out for a T-56, install Vintage Air, rewire the car with an American Auto Wire kit, and smooth the firewall.

Right now I won't be doing any body work/paint to the car $$$$$$$. The little dents and rust that it has is staying for now:laugh:

#28 ·
I ended up buying a GM crate LS3 525HP with the GM harness/pedal.
I also bought a Holley 302-2 pan and Holley 302-11 Baffle.
I ended up using Dirty Dingo Double-D LS aluminum plates, they are .375" thick. I used Energy Suspension 3-1114G motor mounts mounted in the furthest forward spot on the Dirty Dingo mounts. This puts the bell housing surface in the same spot as the factory SB. I also decided to finally use some original big block mounts I've had laying around for 20 years. They are same dimensionally, but stronger. I mocked it all up in my junk frame just to see what was what. The drivers side tie-rod barely clears the head of one of the pan bolts. I might change that one bolt to a button head.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.