4l60e trans question - Chevelle Tech
Pro Touring Todays performance with classic style

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 11, 4:35 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
scott

4l60e trans question

My 2000 lq4 6.0 came with a 4X4 4l80e trans. Iím installing a 4l60e trans in the car. I hooked the two together and not all the bolts have holes, no big deal. Iím getting a 4l60e flex plate from auto zone and had the ECM and harness has been redone for the 4l60e.
1, I think the 4l80e flex plate has a spacer; I remove this to put on the 4l60e flex plate right?
2, on the 4l80e trans it had a two piece bell housing the 4l60e donít and now I have a open spot on the lower side. Is there a plate that goís in there like the old 350 trans?
3, will the stock 4l60e T/Q be ok for now? On modís on the 6.0 YET
4, what do you all do about a drive lines? I was thinking of junk yard van or truck one and having it cut to fit. If I do this it will fit the trans but what about the axel. Itís a 10 bolt in a 1968
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 11, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
scott

Re: 4l60e trans question

no input
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 11, 11:14 PM
Tom

the 4l80 takes a different flex plate and converter... drive shaft yoke also different....out put shaft different from 2 wheel to 4 by 4.....4 by is shorter...4l80 has a 6 bolt t/c 4l60 has 3...and it will bolt up to the block.....THX Tom
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 11, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
scott

I know the flex plate and T/Q are different. I got the stock 4l60e T/Q and getting a new flex plate from auto zone. My 4l60e is a 2 wheel drive one, but when I pull the flex plate off the motor that had the 4l80e it has a spacer with it right?
Thatís good info on the drive shaft I did not know they were different
What about the bell housing space?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 11, 11:08 AM
Senior Tech Team
Neal

You shouldn't need a spacer for the 4l60e. I am not sure if the flexplates are different part numbers or not. You can do like I did and get an old 350 style inspection cover to cover up the hole on the bottom of the trans. I am sure there is a better solution but I had one laying around. Honestly, I wouldn't even think about messing with the 4l60e if I had a 4l80 in good shape in hand. Swap out that tailshaft on that 4l80 and put it there. You would never have to worry about tranny issues even with 500+ rwhp.

1967 Chevelle
LS1 swap is completed!
www.fquick.com/pist0lpete
12.70 at 108.95mph
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 11, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
scott

no i did not get the 4l80 with the motor
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 11, 4:29 AM
Senior Tech Team
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by pist0lpete View Post
You shouldn't need a spacer for the 4l60e. I am not sure if the flexplates are different part numbers or not. You can do like I did and get an old 350 style inspection cover to cover up the hole on the bottom of the trans. I am sure there is a better solution but I had one laying around. Honestly, I wouldn't even think about messing with the 4l60e if I had a 4l80 in good shape in hand. Swap out that tailshaft on that 4l80 and put it there. You would never have to worry about tranny issues even with 500+ rwhp.
i don't know about the 4L80E, but on pretty much every other GM transmission the 4X4 version has a shorter output shaft to mate up with the transfer case and isn't machined for the reluctor wheel for the VSS, so it's not just a matter of bolting on a 2wd tailshaft and calling it good... but you can make a 2wd trans bolt up to a transfer case by cutting a few inches off the tailshaft.

regarding the driveshaft for a 4L60E- if you have a driveshaft for a TH350, then you will just need to shorten it a few inches and put it in. might as well put in new u joints while it's apart.

"Detroit hasn't felt any real pride since George Bush went to Japan and vomited on their auto executives, I tell you whut"

-Hank Hill
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 11, 6:33 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Resident A-hole

Your Lq4 may or may not have a spacer. Some of them had a longer crank flange ie 99-00 with 4l80..... I know for certain the longer crank flange motors cant be used with a manual trans, dunno how they swap between the 4l80s and 4l60s though.

1964 Malibu 5.3 LS twin turbo aka Maliboost coming soon BUT YOU WONT SEE IT HERE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.