Team Chevelle banner

Sound System Question

4K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  joesweeting 
#1 ·
Wasn’t sure what forum to use for this. ’72 Malibu. Want to get a small powered subwoofer. Got any creative ideas about where to put it? Thanks

#7 ·
If you opt for a subwoofer in the trunk, figure out a way to where all of the sound from the speaker is directed into the interior and not filling up the trunk mostly. If you just put an enclosure in the trunk it's going to fill the trunk with sound more than the interior and depending on how much output you have from the sub with it filling up the trunk, you may then have issues with trunklid rattles.

Jim

#8 ·
Sub-woofers (low bass) are non directional, move it around until it feels best. Most people find that behind the rear seat facing the back of the car works best. I mounted mine in the rear package tray facing up just for the visual aspect. My suggestion on the powered part is to use a separate amp to power at least a 10" sub in a sealed box. All depends on what kind of music you listen to and if you want to hear musical instruments or synthesized tones. My system is built for sound quality and for me a sealed sub box is much better for SQ. If you just want loud, pi$$ the neighbors off noise then go with a ported box.. Just my $.02

Reactions: 70CHEVELLE396
#10 ·
Kicker 10 sub woofer
1 amp for the 6.5 and 6x9 speakers
1 amp for the subwoofer

Attachments

#12 ·
I like to use bass shakers, a lot easier to mount and hide, attach them to the bottom of the seats, and because they are just motors you can use a cheap amp with no difference in sound quality, and the best part is if you aren't sitting in the car you can't "hear" them, all of the fun without bothering your neighbors or getting a ticket from the sound police. https://www.parts-express.com/dayto...wer-pro-tactile-bass-shaker-50-watts--295-244 Don't buy the big ones they are made to attach to the floor boards of a house.

#15 ·
I used a single 10" sub in the trunk behind the rear seat. It is powered by a 500W Alpine mono block amp that has adjustable output. Trunk is custom upholstered with a custom enclosure. Just enough bass to make it sound great without the overwhelming thump of a tuner car.

#18 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.