Team Chevelle banner

VIN Tracing question

925 views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Lyle Spiegel 
#1 ·
I purchased new SS 396 / L78 option new in 1969. Registered in NY state plate # GS- 403. Sold it around 1971. I have the original build sheet and VIN. Is there any way to trace where this vehicle might be in 2017

#2 ·
Welcome Lyle, to Team Chevelle.....:waving:

Start with the person you sold it to, if you have a name. Then track it forward to the present if you can. Or talk to the NY DMV and see if they can trace it. Long shot, but it has worked for others.

#4 ·
In recent years the concern over privacy has caused motor vehicle departments to become less interested in finding or identifying the current owner. I think it may even be illegal for them to reveal that info. So,,, if you know someone in that line of work or a law enforcement officer, they might be able to find out if the car is registered still.
One indication that a trace could happen is that in 2002, BMW sent out a commemorative magazine to all current owners of BMW 2002s. They had to have the cooperation of the MVDs to do that.

#5 ·
I would Google Search the VIN. Might get lucky.

Reactions: Steve R
#6 ·
Your car could be on the other side of the country or it could have been m made into soup cans and toasters in 80s. As suggested start with the person you sold it to or go to car shows in that area with pictures and information of that car and talk to the Chevelle owners at the show. They will most likely know about most of the Chevelles in that area. Finally put an ad in Craigslist in that area. However Craigslist is the playground for lots of fruits and nuts so be prepared to talk to a few.

#9 ·
...Finally put an ad in Craigslist in that area. However Craigslist is the playground for lots of fruits and nuts so be prepared to talk to a few.
Oh Yeah... I did just that a few months ago, I posted an ad on CL looking for my old Chevelle (sold around 1989)...

I had about 8-10 people contact me, some were confidant they owned my car (and were willing to sell for a "price", usually an outrageously high price)... A few gave me info on cars that were parked around their neighborhoods, similar to mine...

I even had one guy swear that his father was the owner, but didn't want to sell... But a few questions usually determined it wasn't mine...

I wasn't really in a position to buy, but more just curious...

I can remember the buyers first name (or the initial), and know the city he lived in (San Francisco though, too big to help)...

As an aside, I have a good friend that is a sergent for the San Jose PD. In the past, I went on "ride-a-longs", and actually used the computer to check for old cars (my dads, etc)... But that was 20 years ago. Now, he won't look at all, because of the privacy/legal issues...

#8 ·
Not sure if Dale M. is willing to help but you may check with him to see if it is in the L78 Registry.

#10 ·
For 1969 SS 396 Chevelle, my VIN # is 136379G34004 Purchased new Feb 2, 1969 from University Chevrolet, Bronx,NY
Salesman: Mart Madow. Sales price: $3310.00 Tax: $66.20, NYS ispection: $3.00. Total paid $3179.20
Sold to Goldie B. Spiegel. Was color brown, had 3:73 Posi, L78 , Close ratio 4 speed, with bench seat ( no bucket seat option). Any help to locate history would be appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.