Team Chevelle banner

1965 El Camino radio

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  FarmerJoe 
#1 ·
I bought a replacement radio for my stock dash to complete the look and I found this. It's the proper model 986202 push button AM radio but as you can see the preset buttons have white letters stamped on them that say "DELCO". I just wanted to see if anyone knew about this or if anyone has seen them before on these radios. I know Buick stamped BUICK on some of theirs but I've never seen the Delco one before and I wanted to know what it's all about.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I´m probably not helping much. But Google Image search only revelaed one more of that kind to me, which is currently on sale on ebay. The Model number database does not mention anything special about your model number either.

Maybe it´s possible that apart from the Chevrolet Dealers, Delco sold those Radios separately and used those lettered push buttons instead of the blank ones?

#4 ·
Delco, Buick, Chevy all were "stamped" in pushbuttons one time on genuine Delco built radios.

What you have there is a "Frankenstein'd radio". The pushbutton preset assembly and or other parts were used to make a "complete" 1965 unit.

Here's the radio tech section:

RADIO TECH from Team Chevelle - Chevelle Audio

Here's a 1963 full-size Chevrolet radio (look carefully at the pushbuttons:

EDIT: I've tried now 3 times to post the eBay link and this message board takes it to a shopping page :(

Send me a PM if you want to see the auction

1963 Chevy Radio pt# 985432 & 7282590 - B used original condition Chevrolet | eBay

#6 ·
Delco, Buick, Chevy all were "stamped" in pushbuttons one time on genuine Delco built radios.
Are you saying that there were radios with "CHEVY" buttons? If so, I'd want one if each and make a radio with "ELKY_" on it.
Or use the Delco, and make "ELCO_"

#5 ·
Vintage CHEVROLET CHEVY Car Radio DELCO #986202 indash dash 1960's 1970's OLDER | eBay

This ebay link is to a 986202 02PLE radio just like the one in the original post, but the one pictured shows only remnants of white, but the DELCO letters are still on the buttons. Click on the link and look at the close-up on the buttons. Who's to say that mass production radios couldn't have had a slightly different appearance from day to day depending on what Delco had in parts bins on that particular day. It may have been that the pushbuttons came in pre packaged matching sets, and from several different suppliers, just like other parts did.

#7 ·
My original 65 AM radio has black plastic buttons with no letters. No idea why my attached pics show up at 90 degrees?

Attachments

#8 ·
No idea why my attached pics show up at 90 degrees?
It was probably taken at 90°? Cameras and Smartphones very often save that information within the picture (EXIF data) and the Software which shows the picture reads it again to show it correctly on your screen. Probably that information got lost. This could explain why the original picture is shown correctly on your PC / Smartphone / whatever and not here anymore ;-)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.