ceramic vs stainless headers - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech General Tech Area
Please try and post in specific forums

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 17, 9:32 PM Thread Starter

ceramic vs stainless headers

I posted a thread about magnaflow exhaust and about after a week or so in the discussion of that thread I needed help with my headers. I just felt like that thread topic was answered and lost interest so I decided to start this one about headers. I have been reading for days about headers. Stainless vs ceramic coated. I dont mind spending extra coin on something that will look good and last for years to come. I cannot find many reviews on the hedman stainless steel hedders #62190 which are uncoated and made of 304 steel. I think I want those but I need to be schooled here on the pros and cons. I just dont feel comfortable buying something because i dont know enough about them. I read a post that the uncoated stainless will turn a bronze color after awhile but will look better then the ceramic coatings once they start to rust and fail. I cannot find any pics of this to see what they will look like. I also read about the uncoated stainless let off more heat than ceramic. Not sure if that is important or not. Than I was reading that stainless steel with ceramic coating is the way to go, which kind of confuses me because what is the point of stainless with ceramic on it if the ceramic turns crappy looking and fails. So which one do I want? I would like to stick with the hedmans because everyone says the 68198 are a perfect fit and the hedman 62190 is the same thing just stainless steel. Im running a 454 with oem cast iron heads in a 66 chevelle. Can someone please help me out here? Im looking to learn a thing or 2 and make the correct choice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 17, 1:48 AM
Tech Team
Pat

Re: ceramic vs stainless headers

My friend only uses stainless Hedmans and i'm getting the 62190 for my '67. I already have the flowmaster stainless exhaust.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 17, 2:29 AM
Senior Tech Team

If you want to see raw stainless steel headers Google "Pro Stock headers", then search images. They all use uncoated stainless headers.

Steve R

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 17, 2:50 AM
Team Member
Rich

Garage

Stainless will discolor (blue or gold depending on the temps), but they will not rust. There will be substantial more radiant heat compared to coated. Anywhere the coating is scratched will rust and the inside of the pipe will rust of course. For a daily driver I would choose the coated header and be mindful of nicks and scratches. Stainless set shown below...

Canucit@msn.com likes this.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 17, 4:11 PM Thread Starter

Thank you very much. I appreciate it
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 17, 6:19 PM
Tech Team
Tim

Garage

Here is where the disconnect happens... Ceramic coating is an INSULATION. Its sole purpose is to retain the heat within the exhaust system... resulting in lower under hood temps, which can lead to improved performance. The fact that it is shiny, is an added benefit. It was not developed for its eye appeal, it was for its insulating properties.
There is also a black ceramic coating that insulates better than the shiny, and retains a near new finish for a very long time.
Stainless simply resists rust & corrosion. (looks nicer, lasts longer than steel) but, does nothing to control heat issues.

Choose accordingly....

nothing stays new if it is used.

My good judgement is the result of my experience... although my experience is the result of my bad decisions !!!
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 17, 7:36 PM Thread Starter

Anylizer....... do the positive effects of ceramic insulation greatly outweigh the looks of plain stainless? I'm just cruising to shows, I'm not to concerned with gaining HP or anything
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 17, 7:58 PM
Senior Tech Team
Greg.

Garage

Here is a Oct. 2013 pic of my Ceramic Coated BBC Hooker Headers # 2455-1HKR
that I installed in Oct. 2006 onto my 454
they were out for the Rebuild on the Engine and were put back on

67 Chevelle Malibu SS Cdn
Born 283 / PG / A51
Now 468/Th400 2,500 stall/ S60 3.70 Gs
Prev M&H MSS001 street Tires/dress 2015/9/20
60' = 1.756 1/8 = 7.815 et / 89 mph
1/4 = 12.253 et / 111 mph
NEW Best on M/T S/R #6641 street Tires/dress 2016/10/9
60' = 1.720 1/8 = 7.747 et / 89 mph
1/4 = 12.112 et / 112 mph
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 17, 8:14 PM
Tech Team
Tim

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzDaddy View Post
Anylizer....... do the positive effects of ceramic insulation greatly outweigh the looks of plain stainless? I'm just cruising to shows, I'm not to concerned with gaining HP or anything
Based on your input,I would guess that you would be happier with Stainless, un-coated headers. They will turn blue & bronze, which can be polished off if you so desire. Although it will return when heated up again.
The shiny finish of the ceramic will deteriorate over time, and in some cases discolor at the heads almost immediately.

For what it's worth, I am a coating applicator, have been for 18 yrs. I will be using the black ceramic on my Chevelle. If i wanted the "bling" factor... I would use straight stainless. it just wears better. IMO/IME

My good judgement is the result of my experience... although my experience is the result of my bad decisions !!!
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 17, 8:37 PM Thread Starter

Kirk those look pretty nice especially after all those years!
Anylizer... thanks for the info.

Just one more thing. What is the disadvantage of the stainless higher temperatures in the engine compartment? Will it be a concern of mine?
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 17, 9:35 PM
Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Just cruising, stick with iron, get them coated.

1967 El Camino Malibu Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350 FiTech 600 (In Progress), 700R4, JGC Steering, 1990s serpentine.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 17, 9:57 PM Thread Starter

The way our cars are set up is the heat from uncoated stainless headers really a factor? I can't believe I'm making a skeptical out of this.... I rebuilt the entire car from the ground up and now I'm stuck on headers and can't make a decision. I feel like a idiot. I however really appreciate all the knowledge from everyone here!
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 17, 10:17 PM
Administrator

Garage

How about something else to confuse the issue After years of dealing with headers scraping on speed bumps, driveway aprons and debris on the road I gave up on long tube headers. I do not need every last horsepower available for my cruiser so this build has mid length ceamic coated headers. Even with 3" exhaust and a lowered car there will be no clearance issues.

66 Bu likes this.

it is not whether you win or lose but how you place the blame
72 Concours Wagon L29 454, 4L80E, 12 bolt posi 3.31, GM 4 wheel disc brakes
64 Nova 400 series
Team Chevelle Gold Member #42
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 17, 1:39 AM
Team Member
Rich

Garage

Your plug wires/boots as well as the starter will thank you for choosing the coated versions.

Rich

1967 El Camino
(under construction) http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=841082
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 17, 3:56 AM
Tech Team
Logan

Garage

The perks of ceramic coating are of the many. As mentioned prior, the Cerakote Glacier Series Black has by far the best heat properties that will be much much better than any kind of wrap. Glad to see that wrap is out of the picture anyway. Stainless steel, as shown in the image by another fella, with for sure blue and look very wonky. The perks of ceramic coating are far beyond any type of paint or bare metal, and in some cases can look AS GOOD AS a chrome header without the blue.

The coating itself is only as strong as the prep process from the factory. Your best bet might be to get a stainless set and swing on by your local Ceramic Coating Business to have them properly coated. I've seen many of many of many of many high dollar powder coat and ceramic coat jobs that come off like nothing is there. Which ever weakness you've heard could very easily be avoided if maintained correctly. Proper Tune being the most important.

64 Chevelle SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.