Team Chevelle banner

good source for OEM 66-67 doors?

3K views 44 replies 18 participants last post by  Bunz-T 
#1 ·
I have been looking for a good set of doors and found many of rust free doors until
I inspect them and they are junk or have filler over all the bad rot lol....

Hoping one of you long time Chevelle guys might have a pair sitting in the rafters I could talk you out of. I have a WTB in the classifieds too.

Any sources would be greatly appreciated.

These AMD doors (x branded part:noway:) are not that great and being a first restoration for me I think an oem set might resolve some issues I am having...

Chuck

#3 ·
just note 66 doors and 67 doors are not the same. for 67 they changed the inside area around the door lock knob, and in 67 they changed the out side skin.

#4 ·
No, the skins are not different, only the inner shells.

Reactions: davewho1
#13 ·
The holes I was talking about (that differ from 66 to 67) are punched in the inner shell near where the skin wraps around the edge. The skins are the same (unless of course it is a 67 Malibu door that has the holes in the skin for the 67 Malibu trim).

Reactions: keithb
#17 ·
I've been to DVAP. Their stuff is rusty too.

By the time you find workable original doors and put al the time in to fix them, you could get s set of new doors and be done with it. They aren't bad at all. I put a new pair on the 66 last year. I think I had a total of 4 hours in both of them by the time I was done fitting, making some minor tweaks, and finished block sanding them.

#9 ·
#12 ·
PM sent

Only 2 good doors vs 4. I think someone must have stole 1 of the 4 - can't find it.

The body filler on door #2 appears to be a dent that was partially pulled out and then filled. Last pic is the inside of that door looking down

Attachments

#15 ·
My friend Bill has a right hand 67 Malibu Door that he bought from a gentleman in Carlisle. It is very nice. If you would like, I can take photos and send them tomorrow.

#23 ·
just my novice opinion:

I had to replace most of my metal on the 66, door skins included and do some door structure repair. I would rather replace full panels vs chasing good old metal to work with. I don't know what shape your doors are in without pics, but if the new shells need a few welds to make them correct and you happy and confident, that is the route I would go. trying to find a good door that is 50 yrs old is going to be a time challenge and could be a wallet challenge as well. If people wont ship, you will have to get in the truck and go pick up. Post some pics of your doors, unless they are totally rotted out they can probably be saved with some time and metal work. great part about the doors, is the majority get covered with trim or the skin, so unless you are into total originality some minor imperfections will never be seen. I like the perfection look, but I didn't get carried away on the door structure repairs that I made unless it was in an area that got paint and would be seen.

#25 ·
My doors were rotten, damaged and warped so i sold them

The new shells fit ok gap wise. A little flimsy and seems like the passenger door is the one with issues.

I noticed on the top of the door on the inside it seems to ramp up towards the back of door where it meets the rear qtr panel. It fits fine on outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#28 ·
I have a couple sets I could get rid of but crating and shipping would be a cost killer. I'm in Oregon - high desert side, very little rain. One set is off of a '67 that is rust free but got hit in the rear and someone changed the frame with an El Camino one. I can check to see if they are in good condition. I'm going to cut the roof off and put it on a '66 that has vinyl top rot. The rest of the '67 is up for grabs too.

Scott

#29 ·
I have a couple sets I could get rid of but crating and shipping would be a cost killer. I'm in Oregon - high desert side, very little rain. One set is off of a '67 that is rust free but got hit in the rear and someone changed the frame with an El Camino one. I can check to see if they are in good condition. I'm going to cut the roof off and put it on a '66 that has vinyl top rot. The rest of the '67 is up for grabs too.

Scott

Scott can you send me pics of the doors to gpracer15@yahoo.com
Along with how much you would want for them? Shipping a bare door, single, in box should be about $50 from what i have been told.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#34 ·
here is the door to qtr transition. It looks as if the inside of the AMD shell starts to raise up as it goes from the hing end to the latch end on the inside. I believe the oem qtr on the inside was not left as is
and the shop that put my new qtr in boogered it up! So, probably a little bit wrong with both makes a big error lol....

Attachments

#36 ·
I am downsizing and clearing out some 66 Beaumont parts that have been in my shed since 84. I know there is a set of doors complete with glass. In pretty decent shape 'AS I REMEMBER ! I would think they are same as Chevelle. Others can verify that. Shipping could be prohibitive and not sure about duty and taxes going across the border. I believe old car parts are exempt but we can check that out.
If you want to go further pm me. Once I dig them out I can send you some pics

#37 ·
still no luck.

Ran across a guy with 5 doors, 2 rust free! Well they ended up rusted, rotted, or heavily damaged....

Still on the hunt. Dont know if its going to be worth finding a set and repairing vs dealing with the AMD shells and reworking them....Got to pay either way....suggestions?

#38 ·
I would try to make what you have work, you could be searching for a very long time, I finally found a VERY GOOD body guy that fit all the new doors and panels on my 68 Malibu and unless your a pro you cant tell they're after market parts

#40 ·
I have a guy I know that can do this and its in the works I just feel as if
the oem doors would be better all around

hello all well im reading and some say they are concerned with price and delivery , well if your looking for the needle in the haystack does it matter???, being you threw the doors out get a pair of better than what you had and work them doors even if there are rotted you can get skins,they are out there im sure with your body skills you can do anything, or most body guys would do your job as a filler job takes time to recreate dont be in a hurry, look at his work most of us have a book of jobs we did, metal is fixable looks scary to do it all works out in the end remember get the doors right first then the rest just flows together, i hope this helps good luck
I have new shells and refuse to pay $350 plus shipping on a door I am going to have to put a new skin on and also repair the inner shell on. Id be better of just working the new door and stiffening it up.

Im trying to be patient on this one, I have seen a couple doors that look to be very promising but have to be shipped (too far).

Trying to find something I can drive and pick up in a day trip. Plus I can inspect them and not rely on pictures
:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.