67 chevelle bigblock frame mounts - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech General Tech Area
Please try and post in specific forums

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 17, 1:28 PM Thread Starter
robert milliman

Question 67 chevelle bigblock frame mounts

working on my sons car67 136 283 power glide car now 1977 454 turbo 400 12 bolt cant get past this wall. bought big block repo frame mounts differnt oil pan dont hit any more just stock exhaust or header wont fit her are some pic i hope thanks bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1055.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	413274   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1057.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	413282   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1059.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	413290  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 17, 3:51 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Terry

Re: 67 chevelle bigblock frame mounts

Which engine motor mounts are you using? Ones for a 67?
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 17, 4:38 PM Thread Starter
robert milliman

it was in a kit frame and engine .i used the holes in the frame only had 3 holes .dont know frame mount hangs over the frame a lot thanks

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 17, 5:28 PM
Senior Tech Team
Greg.

Garage

Same thing I did to my 67

bought the Engine/Frame Mounts from GrdUp

No problems with installing 75 Truck 454

Having trouble with Photo Bucket of pics with them attached to Frame

67 Chevelle Malibu SS Cdn
Born 283 / PG / A51
Now 468/Th400 2,500 stall/ S60 3.70 Gs
Prev M&H MSS001 street Tires/dress 2015/9/20
60' = 1.756 1/8 = 7.815 et / 89 mph
1/4 = 12.253 et / 111 mph
NEW Best on M/T S/R #6641 street Tires/dress 2016/10/9
60' = 1.720 1/8 = 7.747 et / 89 mph
1/4 = 12.112 et / 112 mph
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 17, 6:04 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

I used the bb engine/frame mount kit from Groundup. Dropped right in to my Olds.

Your just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2006 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)

http://s1141.photobucket.com/albums/n587/oldcutlass/

http://s1141.photobucket.com/albums/...lass/plymouth/
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 17, 6:26 PM
T_R
Tech Team
Tom

I can't tell much from those pictures. What is the exact problem?

You need a chevelle oil pan. They are different than truck pans and what fits a camaro or vette won't fit an early chevelle. Even with the correct oil pan it is very close to the crossmember. Mine is about 1/4 away or less even after denting the pan for clearance.

Some of the reproduction frame mounts aren't quite right. Some of the aftermarket engine mounts aren't quite right either. Combine those and it can be off quite a bit. I had to flatten out the top of one of mine and also open up the hole in the engine mount to get the motor to drop down and get the bolts in.

The exhaust manifolds are very close to the steering shaft. I had to grind some off the manifold so the shaft didn't hit them.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 17, 8:59 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

I have also heard of people having fitment issues with reproduction BBC engine mounts. FYI when I swapped the 454 from my 71 Chevelle into my 66 Chevelle, I had to change the oil pan. The aftermarket oil pan that cleared in the 71 would not fit the 66. Good luck with your project.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 17, 2:00 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

From your first picture, that does NOT look like a "Chevelle" exhaust manifold (drivers side)...

It is really difficult to see though, but the Chevelle (65-72) manifolds have clearance "dimples" for the steering shaft... Those dimples don't affect the clearance issues you have, but would help identify the manifolds. Generally, non-Chevelle manifolds (at least driver's side) will hit the frame at the manifold outlet, and therefore NOT sit flush on the head (as your pictures show with your manifolds)...

Do you know the casting numbers on the exhaust manifolds you have?

Ground Up and others offer repro manifolds that should fit.
1964-1972 Chevelle Big Block Exhaust Manifolds Without Smog
While these a technically for a 68+ Chevelle, the fit is the same. If you look at the picture, you can easily see the steering shaft clearance dimples on the #5 and #7 runners of the driver's side manifold (which are clearly missing on your manifold)

Next, the second picture appears to show the oil pan sitting on the cross member... at least it doesn't look like enough clearance to get the mounts bolted together even if everything else clears...

What pan do you have? Impala, truck and Corvette pans will NOT fit a Chevelle chassis.

I have used a Summit oil pan with great success (SUM-3510X). Under $40, fits great in my '66, and looks/feels like an OEM pan...
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g3510x

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366
'70 Chevelle 427 Stroker
'66 Convertible Sold
Dual Quad 396 & Conv Int
'66 SS L78

Last edited by 1966_L78; Jan 12th, 17 at 2:17 AM.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 17, 9:22 AM
Tech Team
Lew

Garage

Look at the lemons headers website the big block frame mounts need to be like 1.25 or 1.5??? inches high from base to center of bolt hole. If you need to just buy some headers it may be a little louder but it will make a lot more power than the stock manifold. On a 454 LS6 motor cost if like 60+ hp. The 454 LS6 the 450 number was with headers and like 385 with the manifold on it.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 17, 8:53 PM Thread Starter
robert milliman

some pictures or frame without motor and mounts .my problem the header and stock didnt fit or oil pan .got differnt pan and motor mount kit from ground up exhaust still dont fit oil pan fits now .the factory hole in frame should i have differnt locactions where shuould i go next any help thanks bob
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1068.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	413594   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1066 (1).jpg
Views:	113
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	413602  
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 17, 11:14 AM
Tech Team
Bob

My 67 Chevelle Malibu came with a 327 and powerglide... I had 2 sets of hole for my mounts to use. With the small block the motor mount brackets used the set of holes, to bolt to the frame, that were closer towards the center of frame.

When I dropped the big block in I went to the big block brackets and bolted them to the out side holes on the frame, farther away from frame center.

I only see one set of holes to bolt your mount brackets to frame. Maybe that's why they are not letting your engine set into your frame correctly?

I don't have a picture online, but I can upload one when I get back home.

Bob
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 17, 2:31 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotWheelsFan View Post
My 67 Chevelle Malibu came with a 327 and powerglide... I had 2 sets of hole for my mounts to use. With the small block the motor mount brackets used the set of holes, to bolt to the frame, that were closer towards the center of frame.

When I dropped the big block in I went to the big block brackets and bolted them to the out side holes on the frame, farther away from frame center.

I only see one set of holes to bolt your mount brackets to frame. Maybe that's why they are not letting your engine set into your frame correctly?
Not saying yours is incorrect, but I have had well over 15 1966 & 1967 Chevelles, and have not seen more than one set of holes for the frame mounts. The BB and SB SHOULD use the same holes.

Small block frame mounts will work when installing a BB, but you won't be able to use the BB block mounts, as those had the "T-bar" safety strap, which requires the "BB" frame structures... But either SB or BB frame mounts should place the engines in the exact same location. You can use the original SB frame mounts with Small Block rubber mounts on a big block, and the location will be the same as a factory BB (this is for 66/67 only)

To the OP, are you trying to fit headers (tubular aftermarket)? If so, are you sure they are for 66/67 Cheveles? Many header designs are listed as '68-72 Chevelle/A-body, and may have some clearance issues, especially in the earlier cars (often, the header tends to hit the rear-side of the main crossmember. Tubes can be dimpled for clearance... And once it fits, makes sure you have clearance at the brake lines across the crossmember...

Where are the headers hitting? It pretty common for some tubes to hit the rear side of the crossmember.
As mentioned previously, the stock exhaust in your pictures are NOT for a Chevelle chassis. Not sure where your interference issues are...

Your earlier pictures, were those with the old oil pan? Because it sure looked like the oil pan did NOT clear the crossmember.

At this point, I'd be looking at possibly different issues. #1 make sure the oil pan is a "Chevelle" specific pan. #2, try to install the engine without using the exhaust, and let us know if you can't get the mounts bolted together. If not, WHERE is the interference? #3 Once you get the motor mounting figured out, THEN try the exhaust with manifolds/headers specifically for a Chevelle chassis. Get some more pictures of where the engine is hitting...

Looking at this picture and the picture of the bare frame & mount, it looks like perhaps the engine needs to go rearward another 1/8 -1/4 Inch. It looks like the rear ear of the rubber mount is hitting the top of the frame mount... Is the transmission loose with driveshaft removed? Have you confirmed that the rubber mounts fit over the frame mounts (without the engine)? I have experienced some where the "ears" were bent and would not slide/fit over the frame mount...

What brand and part# on the headers? What casting numbers on the exhaust manifolds? What brand/part number on the oil pan?

Could be the reproduction frame mounts...

TC #1366
'70 Chevelle 427 Stroker
'66 Convertible Sold
Dual Quad 396 & Conv Int
'66 SS L78
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 17, 5:46 PM Thread Starter
robert milliman

iam sorry replaced oil pan works now . stock exhaust dont fit .is their only 3 holes in each side of frame this was a 136 car is that ok then ill try to find factory frame mounts thanks bob
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1074.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	413738  
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 17, 6:14 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblockbob View Post
iam sorry replaced oil pan works now . stock exhaust dont fit .is their only 3 holes in each side of frame this was a 136 car is that ok then ill try to find factory frame mounts thanks bob

That manifold, #3884503, is for a 65/66 Fullsize car (Impala, Biscayne, etc). This will NOT fit a Chevelle!

I tried to use those same manifolds on a '66 Chevelle years ago, and had a similar problem...

You need "Chevelle" exhaust manifolds, at least for the driver's side...

So, the mounts still don't fit, but the oil pan does?

As for the mount issue, Do you have the original small block frame mounts and rubber block mounts? Maybe try those Small Block pieces temporarily. The SB stuff will fit the BB, and then you can see IF the repro BB frame mounts are the problem or not... Small Block and Big Block mounts ( for 66/67) will put the engine in the exact same position.

TC #1366
'70 Chevelle 427 Stroker
'66 Convertible Sold
Dual Quad 396 & Conv Int
'66 SS L78
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 17, 6:19 PM
Senior Tech Team
Greg.

Garage

Bob it appears that the Frame mounts/Holes are not towards the firewall enough
based on the pics that I sent you of my Front Cross member

I would install the Engine mounts to the engine then install the Frame mounts to them
to see if they fit together easily/correctly

Then lower the Engine down to Front Cross Member
and see if the Frame Mount Holes lineup with the Cross member holes

The Engine with the Distibutor on it should have a distance of/about 2 to 3" from the Firewall

71350SS likes this.

67 Chevelle Malibu SS Cdn
Born 283 / PG / A51
Now 468/Th400 2,500 stall/ S60 3.70 Gs
Prev M&H MSS001 street Tires/dress 2015/9/20
60' = 1.756 1/8 = 7.815 et / 89 mph
1/4 = 12.253 et / 111 mph
NEW Best on M/T S/R #6641 street Tires/dress 2016/10/9
60' = 1.720 1/8 = 7.747 et / 89 mph
1/4 = 12.112 et / 112 mph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.