Team Chevelle banner

12SI Alternator mounting, clock positioning for 71 Chevelle

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  JAT_71_MALIBU 
#1 ·
Please tell me Im crazy, there is only one way to mount this alternator, if I mount it the way it is designed the posts are on the bottom side and very fkn hard to get to. Do I have a right sided alternator or something? I followed this feed and looked up this 12SI and this is not going to work. Am I crazy?

Catalog
This is how I would have to mount to get wires and terminal on top, which is wrong. Is there a right and left?

on bottom

What alternator do I need to buy because this aeint it. Which clock position do I need? How is it considered?

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
You should be able to clock that 180 degrees but can't tell much from the pictures.

This video should help. https://youtu.be/pyIhzUyIXW0

#4 ·
In Automotive, that is the right side, it is determined from the Driver's seat. The alt can be clocked in 4 positions; 12-3-6 and 9 o'clock. Remove the 4 screws that hold the halves together and ease the field section back a little, be careful or you'll pop the brushes and that will create a little more work and twist the field section around to the position you need, good luck and post back here if you need more help!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.