Team Chevelle banner

72 Chevelle 402 No Start/Won't turn over

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Tom Mobley 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

I have the majority of my car restored but it won't turn over. I have all factory rebuilt parts or nos parts. I tested the starter, jumped the neutral safety switch, and when i turn the key to the start position i hear like a fan motor turn on until i release the key from the start position *it is not the blower fan*. I adjusted the ignition switch on the column but didn't seem to make a difference. I have a nos horn relay but not sure if that's the issue or not. All the dash lights work, am fm 8 track works, etc. I did hook up my battery jump starter to insure they're was enough power to start it. When the key is in the start/cranking position, the amp gauge goes to -40 and the temp gauge pegs past 250 degrees. Is this a ground problem? Im clearly not the best at electrical. Any help is appreciated.

#2 ·
You need to see if the whirring sound is your starter motor spinning without the solenoid kicking out. My theory on your gauges pegging is they have been swapped in place of the original idiot lights and the lamp test wire has not been removed that light the lights in the start position.

#4 ·
It sounds like the starter has got the wires backwards or switched around and your starter motor is spinning without engaging the flywheel.That might explain the "fan motor sound".If that is the problem check the wiring at the starter.
ON your starter solenoid: The purple colored wire from the ignition should go to the "S" terminal on the solenoid.The "R" terminal gets the points or resistance wire and obviously the large lug gets the battery's positive "+" red wire.

#5 ·
Some country boy checks.

Jack the car up and unhook the wires at the solenoid by the starter and run a temp wire that you can touch to the bat plus term. Then see if that cranks it.

If so, the starter works and the circuit needs attention.

The starter wiring in these can be a pain because power goes to the ign switch, then via the neutral safety switch, and, or clutch switch, etc. If the starter works, get a wiring diagram and check for voltage until you find the prob.

Best to buy a wiring diagram for the car, it will save a ton of effort.

#6 ·
fat purple wire goes on the stud closer to the block.

smaller yellow wire goes on the stud furthest from the block.

Anybody know, does the power feed to the rest of the car come off the battery post on the starter or from a pigtail off the positive battery post?

My car is a 70, it has a pigtail off the pos battery terminal .

#7 ·
Chevelle402SS, (name? location? please fill out your profile)

Use a test light, hook the ground clip to a good ground like the park brake bracket. probe the neutral safety switch at the bottom of the column. two big purple wires, both should have power when the held in the start position. if not, issue is upstream towards the actual ignition switch.

Try to avoid terminal frustration. it's tough when you're this close. Don't worry, we've all been there.

#8 ·
the NSS can far enough out of adjustment to cause this problem.

careful here, it's possible to start the car in gear when working around this stuff. real bummer when that happens. especially if it's got a choke and it's up on the fast idle. There have been sad cases.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.