Team Chevelle banner

ARP lube

861 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  senna 
#1 ·
Hi Guys

Anyone here use the ARP ultra torque fastener assembly lubricant? I have the directions and it says to use blue 242 loctite on the flywheel threads and then apply the ARP lube on the underside of bolt head. After that torque to 85lbs. Last time I did that i noticed that the lube spun onto the flywheel and onto clutch disc after the car ran. I assume that can be good for the disc. When this happened the car sat for a few months before I started it. It seems the ARP lube doesnt cure and it will spin onto flywheel again. Maybe I will put a thin coat on to eliminate this. Has anyone had this happen to them? When I apply it I use a q-tip and brush on underside of bolt head.

#3 ·
Can't wipe off a contaminated disc, once it's spoiled it's gone. I think you've got the right idea Corey, use sparingly.

#6 ·
I guess I'm just too stoopid. I've been using a little engine oil on the threads and under the heads since the early 80's. I don't think a little thrown off the bolt heads is going to ruin a clutch. Imagine if you could collect all the oil that spun off the bolts in a spoon. What size spoon would you need?

Torquing down dry bolts in dry holes is a problem. Torque values given don't assume the bolt is dry, binding, galling, etc. A little oil goes a long way, as you might notice after pulling the clutch apart after a couple thousand miles. All the oil that gets spun out is the oil it it didn't need to begin with.

Reactions: David Bates
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.