gas gauge - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech General Tech Area
Please try and post in specific forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 09, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
gas gauge

After installing a new wiring harness for my car, I found that the gas gauge did not work... it registered past full all of the time.

I did a search this evening and found Wes Vanns' (possessive.. (') after the 's') excellent easy guide to locating issues. Following his instructions, I was interested to find that I had 88 ohms at the tank (measuring the resistance) and about 11.8 volts of DC. I checked to see if the ground was good at the tank and it was.

I moved forward and checked the wiring harness at a connector... 11.8 volts - so I knew I was good up to that point.

After removing the connector to the gas gauge, I discovered that I had hooked up the wires improperly .... all currents were fine but the 'pink' line was installed on the wrong half of the connector. I switched the wires in the connector, re-hooked the connector to the gauge and hooked up the battery again... I now have a working gas gauge.

And, surprise upon surprise.... I am pleased at the small amount of fuel that I used at the cruise on Saturday.... I figured I was almost out and the gauge shows 3/4 of a tank left.

Of course, I shall take the car down tomorrow for a fill to check that it is accurate but...
this shows that there is easy to follow explanations on this site if one just does a search.

Many thanks to Wes Vann and all the others that take the time to explain in detail with good solid information.
Sponsored Links

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.