Update on my '70 Chevelle... - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech General Tech Area
Please try and post in specific forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 09, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
clif

Update on my '70 Chevelle...

Had an issue with engine height (original 307 car..guy had tall steel mounts on it)...put correct poly mounts on it but tranny was too high (for my liking) so we cut the tranny mount off and re-welded it to the cross member

Motor had a popping in it when you first started it (468,10 to 1,Victor G manifold,781 heads, Eddy 800 carb)..thought it might be a valve too tight....installed a new Holley 770 Street Avenger carb...woila...no more popping

This weekend gonna install my Flowmaster 3" mandrel bent system with Delta 50 series muffs.....that should wrap up the underneath (except for Diff girdle and sway bar)...now its on to the interior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 09, 1:15 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ray

Re: Update on my '70 Chevelle...

Sounds like you are working hard on your Chevelle.
How about some pictures.
Ray

70 SS Chevelle Van Nuys Cal Built
http://s777.photobucket.com/albums/y...70%20chevelle/

Chevelle and El Camino Club of Oregon
http://www.chevelles-oregon.com/home/
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 09, 1:18 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
clif

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowgray396 View Post
Sounds like you are working hard on your Chevelle.
How about some pictures.
Ray

I'll get some this weekend and post em
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 09, 3:11 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Paul

Not following with the tranny being too high? I did the same thing with a 307 car used the tall and narrow factory frame mounts with poly mounts mating a 396 to a th350.

I did not notice what you are describing or any other issues regarding height of engine fan to shroud interference, hood clearance etc. You have me worried.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 09, 3:31 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
clif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green-cars-live-forever View Post
Not following with the tranny being too high? I did the same thing with a 307 car used the tall and narrow factory frame mounts with poly mounts mating a 396 to a th350.

I did not notice what you are describing or any other issues regarding height of engine fan to shroud interference, hood clearance etc. You have me worried.

307's came stock with the short/wide mounts (there's also a tall/ narrow choice as far as mounts go).....mine had the stock frame stand and the tall/narrow steel mounts on it when I got it....tranny (also a 350) had a Energy Susp mount on it.....the yoke/ujoint was really close the the floor (body mounts OK)......I put the short/wide Energy motor mounts on and since it was still close with the same tranny mount I tried to find a shorter tranny mount.....it was less work to just cut the bracket off the crossmember and re weld it 1/2 lower....worked for me
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 09, 12:53 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Garage
Send a message via AIM to BlueSS454

THose Energy Suspension Tranny mounts cause the pinion angle to be off......something that Energer Suspension DOESN'T TELL YOU!! I had one on my 70, the car had a vibration between 60-75 MPH. I put a stock mount on, problem gone. I had the tranny mount changed in 5 minutes..alot less work than cutting and rewelding

Tom Rightler, MCC VP & Newsletter Editor
1970 SS Best ET: 12.31@108 MPH
1969 Malibu
1969 Dodge Charger
1970 Chevelle Convertible
Maryland Chevelle Club
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 09, 8:57 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
clif

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSS454 View Post
THose Energy Suspension Tranny mounts cause the pinion angle to be off......something that Energer Suspension DOESN'T TELL YOU!! I had one on my 70, the car had a vibration between 60-75 MPH. I put a stock mount on, problem gone. I had the tranny mount changed in 5 minutes..alot less work than cutting and rewelding

yeah....I tried that......stock mount was MAYBE an 1/8 of an inch shorter.....didn't work for me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.