Can You Buy New VIN Plates? - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech General Tech Area
Please try and post in specific forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 08, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jed

Unhappy Can You Buy New VIN Plates?

I need help, please. I have a 72 Chevelle convertible that I am restoring. It will be a car when I am done that can be used to drive to Mc Donalds or to a cruise in, definently not a Barrett Jackson car. I had to repair the windshield frame with a aftermarket frame. I had to remove the VIN plate to be able to install it later on the new frame but in the 3 months of being off te car I have lost it. I have looked everywhere. I had bought the special rivets to install it and I was smart enough to tape them in a envelope on the refrigerater when I got them, which is where I should have taped the VIN plate. I need to install the windshield but I need to install the plate first. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 08, 10:26 AM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage
Re: Can You Buy New VIN Plates?

FIND IT!
Or else talk to your local DMV about getting a state assigned tag.
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 08, 10:29 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Chris

NO!!! You should not have touched it. It is illegal to tamper with or remove a vin tag. Go to your local DMV, they will tell you what you have to do. If you can prove that the car is yours, they will probably issue a state vin.

I never make mistakes, but on occasion I present myself with an opportunity to get very creative.
post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 08, 10:29 AM
Senior Tech Team

Sorry, but unless you find it. Your SOL.

post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 08, 12:02 PM
Gold Founding Member

Yes, you can buy VIN tags...but it's not legal.

Yes, you can buy the special rivets to attach it to the car...but I'm thinking that buying them isn't legal either.

Might as well make arrangements with your state for a new VIN.
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 08, 12:09 PM
Senior Tech Team

Seems like every time a question like this is posted it's by someone with just a few posts, Seem wierd.

LK
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 08, 12:22 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwhite00 View Post
Seems like every time a question like this is posted it's by someone with just a few posts, Seem wierd.

LK
Makes you wonder doesn't it ?

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway." John Wayne
TC#3559
1970 Chevelle 383 Stroker
1969 Chevelle 396 under construction
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m.../MYCARS016.jpg
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m..._mnrd/my70.jpg
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 08, 12:45 PM
Tech Team

Hey guys, I have real 70ss at home, the only problem is I cut the vin tag out and shredded it. My dog then put ketchup on it and ate it. The 402 needs to be restamped because while I was fixing the 2 barrol carb on the small block 402 my grinder slipped off and ground off the numbers matching engine stamp. Oh the turbo 350 is real! it has a 2 speed slip and slide in it and I heard that was a special addition!!
oh, and I will be selling it as soon as I can find a moron, I mean buyer
any help hear?

Last edited by imchefbrian; Mar 28th, 08 at 12:47 PM. Reason: spelling
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 08, 1:20 PM
Gold Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imchefbrian View Post
My dog then put ketchup on it and ate it.
There's less VINegar in ketchup than in Tabasco sauce; maybe the dog is trying to tell you something.
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 08, 6:34 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jed

First of all I want to thank Dean, animal69, LateNight72, Schurkey for their sensible and honest help. It was found tonight when I came home from work and went through every box that was filled with parts from the car. It was put in the console along with the seat belt pockets so I wouldn't lose either, but that was months ago. It is still attached to a 8" piece of the windshield channel that was stuck to the windshield when the windshield was removed. The whole cowl was rusted out and filled with leaves, I didn't have a choice but to replace it and do it right, I would of rather of left it alone but it was impossible. Alwhite00, imchefbrian I want to thank you for your immature smart ass comments, really adult like. You make the comments that I am new and don't have many post???? I don't know about you but the only way of getting a high number under your name is by posting, right??? They don't sell a name with a high post number on Ebay do they??? Would you believe me more??? I am not ripping anyone off, My car came as a 1972 Malibu Convertible, 350 2bolt main,TH-350 trans, and a 10 bolt rear. I am making this car for me, not for anyone in Perkasie, PA. My VIN is the same on my VIN plate, title, motor and transmission. If I knew how to add pictures to this post I would show you the plate.
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 08, 7:17 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Thats said, a State Issued VIN will not really reduce your value, unless its a highly desireable model restored to stock (SS)...

As mentioned, it is illegal to even "possess" the rivets or remove the tag...

Ethically, you should contact the local Motor vehicle department or Highway patrol/Local Police... Explain the problem, and ask what needs to be done...

Many (most?) of us in this hobby frown upon people asking about removing the VIN, etc, because Most will NOT do the ethical thing... Some will do highly unethical things too...

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366
'70 Chevelle 427 Stroker
'66 Convertible Sold
Dual Quad 396 & Conv Int
'66 SS L78
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 08, 7:20 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Greg

Jed, glad to hear that you found your VIN plate. Good luck with your project.

Greg

My 68 El Camino Malibu and my 68 El Camino SS. In 1968 I got my 1st 66 Chevelle SS. 30 years later, I got my 2nd. Both Chevelles are in the same location.
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 08, 7:27 PM
Senior Tech Team
"The Stig"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966_L78 View Post
Many (most?) of us in this hobby frown upon people asking about removing the VIN, etc, because Most will NOT do the ethical thing... Some will do highly unethical things too...
There ARE legitimate reasons to remove a VIN. Acid dipping and rust-repair come to mind... Some people get way too worked up over this subject even when fraud is not the intent.
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 08, 7:40 PM
Senior Tech Team
Steve

Nevermind, I didn't see you found it.

Good luck,
Steve
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 08, 7:40 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Maker View Post
First of all I want to thank Dean, animal69, LateNight72, Schurkey for their sensible and honest help. It was found tonight when I came home from work and went through every box that was filled with parts from the car. It was put in the console along with the seat belt pockets so I wouldn't lose either, but that was months ago. It is still attached to a 8" piece of the windshield channel that was stuck to the windshield when the windshield was removed. The whole cowl was rusted out and filled with leaves, I didn't have a choice but to replace it and do it right, I would of rather of left it alone but it was impossible. Alwhite00, imchefbrian I want to thank you for your immature smart ass comments, really adult like. You make the comments that I am new and don't have many post???? I don't know about you but the only way of getting a high number under your name is by posting, right??? They don't sell a name with a high post number on Ebay do they??? Would you believe me more??? I am not ripping anyone off, My car came as a 1972 Malibu Convertible, 350 2bolt main,TH-350 trans, and a 10 bolt rear. I am making this car for me, not for anyone in Perkasie, PA. My VIN is the same on my VIN plate, title, motor and transmission. If I knew how to add pictures to this post I would show you the plate.
Rain Maker, Welcome to TC! There are lots of knowledgeable folks here to help and we are always glad for new members in the hobby.

Zeke

67 Chevelle
64 Chevelle
90 Corvette ZR1
TC# 3094 ACES# 7297
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.