70 Wheel question - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech General Tech Area
Please try and post in specific forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 07, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
70 Wheel question

I am looking for some help with my 70 Chevelle wheels. I currently have stock 70 ss wheels which are 14 inch. The current tires on the rear are 275/60/14 which I can not find more accept in bias ply. I would like to put 15 inch ss wheel vintiques on the car so I can put close to the same size radial tire in a 15 inch on it. My quetion is use a 7 inch rim or jump up to an 8 inch. If I use the 7 or the 8 what back spacing works the best. I am trying to not change the current look but also put as much tire on the ground as possible. I think the 15 inch tire in a 275/60/15 is about an inch difference in overall height. Basically, what is the best way to go? I am assuming I will change all the rims to 15 inch not just the rears. Any help would be appreciated! I have tried local tire/rim stores with no help.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 07, 12:38 PM
Senior Tech Team
Re: 70 Wheel question

You should probably do a search in the tires and wheels section. Alot of discussion on this subject.

I would say the most popular is the 275/60/15. 15X7 would work. But I think the 15x8 with a 3" to 4" BS would be better. I like the deeper wheel look personally.

You also need to consider if the tires will set up inside the wheel wells. Most 275/60 with 3" to 4" BS will. Much bigger than that you may have problems.

TC # 4348
ACES # 6175
NCOA # 10479
"220...221 whatever it takes."

Registry for 68 13867 cars, total to date 169! Looking for more

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 07, 2:20 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, I quess I didnt scroll down far enough to see that section. thanks I will look their.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 07, 4:57 PM
Gold Member

275-60 x15 on an 8 inch wide rim with less than 4 inches of backspacing will hit on a 1970.Mine did! Unless you cut and roll the inner fender lip, 8 inch wide wheels would be better off with 4 1/2 inch backspacing. Check the Data base.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 07, 9:55 PM
Senior Tech Team

Get Wheel Vintiques series 50 - 15 x 8 with 4.5 backspacing
Summit will have the best price
You'll also want to buy the trim rings from them as well.
They are special for the 15 x 8 wheel
Corvette 15x8 rings will not work

see this thread
trim ring won't go on wheel
Sponsored Links

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.