Smokey Yunick cowl plenum induction - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech General Tech Area
Please try and post in specific forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 72 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 06, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Smokey Yunick cowl plenum induction

I was told some one is reproducing this induction set-up .I also read a posting form someone who made his own for $500. If any one has information about these two sources please let me know.
rlkreut
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 72 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 06, 12:39 PM
Gold Member

Re: Smokey Yunick cowl plenum induction

Here you go -

Nelson Rudisill
NKR Products
828-874-2335
North Carolina

1970 Astro Blue SS396 L34 70SS
post #3 of 72 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 06, 1:16 PM
Tech Team
Dan

Talking Re: Smokey Yunick cowl plenum induction

Is that the one where the air comes from under the cowl panel to the air cleaner ?
post #4 of 72 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 06, 1:54 PM
Team Member
Mike Crown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan 67
Is that the one where the air comes from under the cowl panel to the air cleaner ?
YES, That's why it's called a Cowl Plenum Air Cleaner

Contact Nelson.. he's good people... it's an exact REPLICA of the the Originals.. But... if you are buying this b/c you think you are going to increase your HP or something.. save your money all $1800.00 worth.. if it's cool Factor you want.. go for it! $500.. won't give you cool.. it will just give you a look IMO

Mike Crown
post #5 of 72 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 06, 1:56 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66 MYSTERY CHEVELLE

Contact Nelson.. he's good people... it's an exact REPLICA of the the Originals.. But... if you are buying this b/c you think you are going to increase your HP or something.. save your money all $1800.00 worth.. if it's cool Factor you want.. go for it! $500.. won't give you cool.. it will just give you a look IMO

Mike Crown
Why wouldn't it make any HP? Smokey didn't build a legend on NOT making HP. I was going to fab something up myself. I can't see paying that much for anything. H*ll, I only paid $200 more for the whole car!

Jeff

I can't stand this indecision
Married with a lack of vision
Everybody wants to rule the world
post #6 of 72 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 06, 2:08 PM
Team Member
Mike Crown

Jeff

So how much HP increase do you think a Cowl Plenum air cleaner adds?

Personal experience here... if someone thinks they are going to making an extra 20 hp or some ridiculous numbers, they are sadly mistaken. Smokey and others who used this, didn't JUST have a cowl plenum.. there were many other TRICKS used in combination with it that all add up to an increase in HP., just like anyone here who goes to the track weekends will tell ya.. It's always the Combo of what you have that gives you the increase.. Just slapping a Cowl Plenum on your Chevelle is not going to make much of a difference.

and sure, if someone has a daily driver or the like, I wouldn't think they would be in the market to spend $1800 for a cowl Plenum... just like you don't wear a Rolex and sneakers
post #7 of 72 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 06, 2:50 PM
Tech Team
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66 MYSTERY CHEVELLE

Mike Crown
Once again we have somebody spoutin off his opinion without knowing the slightest thing about the facts. You might wanna try READING a little before you go telling people what works and what doesn't. Try this for starters, Camaro-Untold Secrets by Wayne D. Guinn. You'll find an excerpt from this book online called Camaro Super Scoop. For all you Chevelle owners out there, you will find this a very informative article that explains the science behind your beloved Cowl Induction hood. Next time you're hangin' out at the local gathering and someone says "it's just for looks" you'll know what's what.

The FACT is, for every 11deg drop in intake temperature you make a 1 percent horsepower gain. Since we all know that underhood temps are fairly hot, it's not unreasonable to assume a 43deg drop is easily possible. On a engine rated at 350hp a 43deg drop in intake temp = 4 percent or 14hp. That's 14hp just from adding a cold air intake. The article is about the Cowl Hood and it's developement but the facts are the same.

What they're after is the higher air pressure found at the base of the windshield. It's about 2-3psi higher. So not only do you get cooler air, you get pressurised air. Why do you think every car in NASCAR uses a cowl plenum intake at the base of the windshield?

$1800, no freakin way. I don't care if it's a replica or not. The price is way too high and I would never pay that much for one. $200-$300...maybe. But I can go to RamAir and buy one of their housings, fabricate a tube to the firewall and achieve the same effect. And for a lot less money too.

Too much money for what you get, I agree. No horsepower gain, wrong. You are entitled to your opinion but next time you might want to express an EDUCATED opinion. IMO.

Scott Harris
70 ProTouring Malibu
http://s239.photobucket.com/albums/ff109/Scotts1BadBu/
post #8 of 72 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 06, 3:23 PM
Team Member
Mike Crown

Scott, sorry if I offened you with my casual answer.. just didn't want somebody spending the money if they thought that's all it takes.. adding a PLenum Air Cleaner.. no need for the increased Hostility IMO.

So I ask you.. with my 66 SS, Bone Stock as it is... 396/360hp... I put a Cowl Plenum Air Cleaner on it, like I have on it here.... Do Nothing else..., take it to the track.... How much HP gain should I expect to get, should I expect to see a real change in my time on the 1/4 mile.. serious question, no need to get Hot Headed..and this is what I was refering to when I said, if you are just buying this item alone and doing nothing else... a 14 to 20 hp gain doesn't seem worth it... I never said, no HP gain.. just not worth the cost.
Thanks

Mike

post #9 of 72 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 06, 4:58 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Do you have to use a different blower motor fan housing to make room on the cowl for the inlet to attach? Looks like a pretty narrow gap between the blower fan housing and the hood.

Chris.

When the Boogeyman goes to bed, he checks the closet for Chuck Norris.

If it aint broke, just give me a minute.
post #10 of 72 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 06, 5:07 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangKiller

....What they're after is the higher air pressure found at the base of the windshield. It's about 2-3psi higher. So not only do you get cooler air, you get pressurised air. Why do you think every car in NASCAR uses a cowl plenum intake at the base of the windshield?....

.....Too much money for what you get, I agree. No horsepower gain, wrong. You are entitled to your opinion but next time you might want to express an EDUCATED opinion. IMO.
2-3 psi? Hardly. That would be about 54-81 inches of water, waaaaay beyond what you'll ever see at the base of a windshield in a subsonic car. Maybe 2-3" of water at 70 mph, about 0.1 psi. Unless you're going in excess of 150 the pressure is negligible.
post #11 of 72 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 06, 5:13 PM
Team Member
Mike Crown

No Chris, no mods are needed at all, well except cutting a nice rectangular hole in your firewall
post #12 of 72 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 06, 5:18 PM
Team Member
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangKiller
Once again we have somebody spoutin off his opinion without knowing the slightest thing about the facts. .
Dude, calm down. Your stressin out over nothing....
post #13 of 72 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 06, 5:38 PM
Senior Tech Team
Huh, what ?

I think those are kinda cool.

I don't know either way if it would work or not, but do remember reading that 15 horsepower is worth about .10 of a second on a typical street car.

For 1800 dollars and cutting a hole in my firewall, I'd need more than that.

Originally Posted by Bertrand_Russell
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision.
post #14 of 72 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 06, 9:43 PM
Tech Team
Jim

Wouldent there be a good chance of having a fuel smell in the car? Having the cars ventalation and the carb breathe from the same source. No big deal on a race car, but....

Jim 70 El Camino 461solid m20 3.31eaton
post #15 of 72 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 06, 10:15 PM
Senior Tech Team

I wouldn't think it would be all that bad. The fumes would have to migrate through the air filter and all. Plus, with the engine running, it's sucking all those fumes INTO the engine.

Jeff

I can't stand this indecision
Married with a lack of vision
Everybody wants to rule the world
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.