67 2 DOOR WAGON - Chevelle Tech
Wagons & Four Doors Wagons & 4 Door Forum

View Poll Results: 67 2 DOOR WAGON
Need help doing a 4 door to 2 door wagon conversion 1 100.00%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 05, 5:49 PM Thread Starter

I'm looking at turning my 67 wagon into a two door, I would like to talk to someone who has done this conversion.

Thanks Norm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 05, 11:23 PM
Senior Tech Team

Some people have done decent conversion jobs.
Here are two ways to go
1.Use 67 wagon cut/adapt elky 1/4s on and custom glass. The doors look out of shape and lines are not right.
2.67 Elky cut a wagon roof off and adapt to body. Better looking body lines a more true style, but glass will need to be cut and modified once again.

Mess with me, and you mess with the whole trailer park!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 05, 1:03 AM
Tech Team

How was Chuck's (from hot rod TV) '66 2 door made? I'd always assumed you'd adapt el camino doors to a wagon...weld up what's left of the wagon's back doors to smooth out the 1/4s. It'd seem custom glass is just a given.

SKIP (Pop D Top)

'69 El Camino (for my daughter)
'69 Camaro convertible (for me)
'67 Sting Ray coupe (for fun)
'70 Concourse Wagon-to be 2 doored (just cuz)
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 05, 1:19 AM
Tech Team

here's some info and a good pic of Chuck's 66 two door Hosepower TV wagon topic

68 SS396 Convertible-396/4speed
68 SS396 Hardtop-396/auto
64 2 Door Wagon- 350/auto
46 chevy pickup- chopped hot rod
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 05, 1:27 AM
Tech Team

here's a quote from rpol7966
Quote:
The car was built by a friend of mine. He is very talented and has built a number of really nice cars, most of which are '64s.
The '66 started as a 4 door wagon which was converted to a 2 door using El Camino quarters and a '64 or '65 2 door wagon donor.
Chuck's got it looking good with the dark center Americans!!!

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 05, 10:52 AM
Bug
Tech Team

el comino 1/4's and 2 door post sedan doors, their longer are they not? of course this leads to replacing the door post.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 05, 11:42 AM
wagons rule!
Pete

Location: In the Beautiful mountains of western North Carolina
do it!, i'm doing it to a 70 wagon. im using elky quarters and 69 hardtop doors. and the side door frames from a 70 coupe.

btw FO_FDYFO is ebonics for four fifty four.
Team Chevelle Wagon Site Web Master,
wagon parts and info only at www.EINSTYN.com
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 05, 11:58 AM
Tech Team

Yes, 2 door and el camino doors are longer. That's what I was leading to with my "weld up what's left of the wagon's back door" statement above. But then, if you use an el camino quarter (which does seem the way to go) isn't the door post/opening included? Anyway, I think you'd have a cool ride...wouldn't be easy, but it'd be beautiful when finished.

How 'bout this? Maybe they can start building a 2 door wagon body like the new '69 Camaro convertible that's available now. My vote would be for the '68-72 cuz I like the look, it'd cover 5 years (just pick your front sheet metal), and since GM didn't make 'em those years, noone would question it's a replica/kit car vs an original.

Good luck on your '67. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

SKIP

SKIP (Pop D Top)

'69 El Camino (for my daughter)
'69 Camaro convertible (for me)
'67 Sting Ray coupe (for fun)
'70 Concourse Wagon-to be 2 doored (just cuz)
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 05, 9:58 AM
Tech Team
Tim

The conversion of a 4 door wagon to a 2 door has been done numerous times. I know of two '67 conversions that are now 2 door wagons. One was built form a 4 door wagon and the other started as an El Camino. Both used El Camino doors, quartes and parts from a donor '64 or '65 2 door wagon. The rear quarter glass and hardware was scavenged from the donor cars.
The frame around the door glass is different between the El Camino and a "real" 2 door wagon. The El Camino frame is rounded at the upper rear while the wagon frame comes together at the upper rear with a forward slant corner. The basic doors are the same and the window frames can be changed to match the door opening. The El Camino doors give a cleaner look, but require that the roof pillar be changed to match the door frame.
The best way to start this project is to start with a 4 door wagon, find a donor '64-'65 2 door wagon(with side quarter window glass and trim as complete as possible), find original rustfree El Camino quarters(don't use reproduction panels... they are too light guage and "tin can and flex"). The last statement come from experience DO NOT USE the repop panels.
Hope this helps.......

Tim
'72 SWB Pickup Orig 402
'67 Malibu Wagon(full option)
'67 El Camino(full option, 396)
'41 Ford Pickup(300HP 327)
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 05, 5:50 AM
Tech Team

You know, there really needs to be a good option found to replace the use of a donor 64/65 2 door wagon for this conversion. With as rare as these 2 door wagons are us guys that have one really need all the spare parts that can be had. It also scares me to think about a restorable 2 dr wagon being cut up to build a custom, and chances are that if you find one that has solid sliding window channels and side glass then the wagon could probably be saved because this seems to be a real problem spot for rust on these cars. Just a thought.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 05, 8:34 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally posted by natjones:
You know, there really needs to be a good option found to replace the use of a donor 64/65 2 door wagon for this conversion. With as rare as these 2 door wagons are us guys that have one really need all the spare parts that can be had. It also scares me to think about a restorable 2 dr wagon being cut up to build a custom, and chances are that if you find one that has solid sliding window channels and side glass then the wagon could probably be saved because this seems to be a real problem spot for rust on these cars. Just a thought.
You're got that right!
I have a 64 2 dr and the dividers between the windows are the weak link.
I'm in Pennsylvania so finding rust free parts is not likely. Will probably end up at a street rod shop that still works in steel, or someone doing really old cars that has facilities to fabricate odd bits.
The one piece side window look bugs me, especially when the crowd at the car show is oohing and ahhing, and I know what it should look like!

Pete
64 Chevelle
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 05, 5:21 PM
Senior Tech Team

Pete,are you talking about the rib by the slider in the back? I need two and had directions how to make it out of two pieces.

Mess with me, and you mess with the whole trailer park!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 05, 2:55 AM
Senior Tech Team

Pete,
ever thought about using the 68-9 2 door sedan doors ?
Would it work ?

Nate
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 05, 2:43 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage
For the sliding windows, what about adapting older Blazer/Suburban sliders (thinking really old, early 70's or older)...

I was thinking of this, and I would think using an El Camino would be the best... No need to hang new 1/4's and doors, and retain the ElCamino B-pillar. I think the El Camino door frame/glass/B-pillar looks better than the "post" pieces anyway... More like the 55-57 Nomad with the curved B-pillar, Cool...

ElCos have the same floor pans as the wagon (under the bed), and the boxed frame...

El Caminos seem easier to locate also, and usually cheaper (66-67 wagons are pretty desirable)... Seems harder to find 2-door post doors too...

Buick Sport Wagons/Vista Cruisers are generally cheaper and have the roof glass too, which I think would be a cool addition... Chop off the roof and graft onto the Elco 1/4s and A/B-pillars...

I think the Elco even has the same tailgate, so the rear window (power?) should swap over from the Buick/Olds too, right?

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366
'70 Chevelle 427 Stroker
'66 Convertible Sold
Dual Quad 396 & Conv Int
'66 SS L78
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.