Team Chevelle banner

72 Concours wagon project

182K views 1K replies 67 participants last post by  CBMU302 
#1 · (Edited)
I purchased this wagon last month from a friend and member here, thanks Jeff. It appears to be in original condition, came with the POP, the wagon owners manual and dealers sales invoice. Speedometer shows 88593 and judging from condition and the length of time it has been sitting it possibly could be original miles. Original engine and transmission are gone so eventually it may get a mild big block. For now it will be powered by an LT1 converted to a carburetor and HEI with a th400 transmission.

Here is the wagon, it is the original color Flame Orange Metallic code 65. I cleaned up a small section to see the color better and I like it.

Although I am really anxious to get started on the project, I need to finish a customers 57 Bel Air before beginning on the wagon but the parts for the 4 wheel disc conversion were just purchased.

The brakes are from a 98 - 02 F body. I was surprised to see how large the front calipers and brake pads were, the rears are the same as the set installed on my Nova.

Church Boys Racing makes a nice set of adapter mounts that can be used with either factory drum or disc spindles. The drum hub is used with the Camaro rotor. If using drum spindles the spacers are not required.

Rear brake install on the Nova

Updates will be posted as progress is made. Any tips or suggestions from wagon owners will be greatly appreciated.

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks Bob, there is just a bunch of small dents and the rear wheel opening repair from a tire falling off. The lower control arm is also bent. The interior needs carpet and headliner, both missing. Sweep dash with a factory clock, bench seats that need reupholstered. The air defector and luggage rack are both in great shape. I will need the left rear pedestal, this one is broken.
Were the rear frame braces standard on wagons? it was just a 350/th350 with a 10 bolt but has the braces :confused:

I see you got your rear brakes on, the rear end is looking good :thumbsup:

#4 ·
Sounds like the body work won't be too bad. The interior parts may be the more challenging aspect of your resto. My '72 has frame braces - but the '70 doesn't. I'm probably going to pull the braces off and put them on this chassis. Thanks for the kudos!

BG

#5 ·
Body work is not one of my strong skills. I am going to attempt it on this car as I have more time than money.
The headliner and seat upholstering is always done by a friend for a reasonable cost. The simple stuff like the carpeting and all the side panels are things I can do. My strengths are in the electrical and mechanical parts of restorations, but this will probably be my last project car. The old body my young spirit is living in tends to get really sore by the end of even a short day in the shop :)

Reactions: Davidaseng
#7 ·
I lived in NJ until I graduated high school in 67, then moved west. I recall using a torch to remove most bolts and hated fixing rusty sheet metal. Living here will spoil you, I will not buy a car with rust in the body now.

• Haha
Reactions: Capt Casey
#9 ·
Thanks Tom, hope it will be a fun project. Very little parts were reproduced for the Nova which made it hard and time consuming to build. Hopefully wagon parts will be easier to get.

#10 ·
Still collecting parts, can not work on it yet but finding parts is part of the fun. Found this 700R4 on Craigslist for $150 including the converter. Fluid looks good, so it will get installed after a filter change and see how it shifts.

#12 ·
Thanks Jeff I had not thought of that and already promised it to another friend. It will be a trade deal, for what at this point is unknown. I will see if he wants all the injection and ignition stuff.

The Opti block off plate was ordered and I picked up a used HEI. LT1 parts seem to be over priced, it is like working on Ford :)
Just need to get the 57 done so I can start on the wagon.

#13 · (Edited)
Concours quarter emblems have been purchased.

Hopefully they will be here by the end of the week so I can see if they look as good in person. They were advertised as new and I am not aware of these being reproduced.

#14 ·
Well I am 0 for 2 on the emblems. They are new and beautiful, but the first mistake made was the auction was for 2 now I have 4, second mistake and this is a big one the emblems for a Concours Estate (as they were listed) apparently mount different than the Concours. Although they appear the same, are the same size the mounting studs are in the wrong place and there are 3 not 4.

why are wagon parts so difficult I need to learn more about them quick before I spend all the project money on the wrong parts :pout:

#30 ·
actually, the earlier pre 71 emblems have different holes, same thing with the nomad emblems, i cant remember when the change was. i dont think it has anything to do with estate or not, it is the year. i think it was when they changed them from the fenders to the quarters. damn i am loosing some of this knowledge. I should have written the book on wagons 10 years ago. I have a box of emblems.

#15 · (Edited)
No progress to report, still gathering parts though. I have a 12 bolt that needs to be built, already have the new Moser axles. Need to order the Eaton posi and decide what gears to use.

Monday I went to look at a 71 El Camino. No title and really rusty, but I was only interested in the frame.
Weird car, manual drum brakes, manual steering, 3 on the tree, 10 bolt, rubber floor mat, standard wipers, but has AC, dual speakers in dash so could have been an FM stereo radio, a vinyl top and code 43 Lime Green Metallic paint :confused:
The brake and clutch pedals are still in the car...this really has me leaning towards a manual transmission even though a 700R4 has already been purchased.

It is parked next to the wagon so it could bond with the new organ donor :D

Plans are to get the frame from the El Camino in the shop to be cleaned and painted. From there the suspension will be rebuilt and updated, the 12 bolt installed, the 700R4 and what ever engine I can come up with (not sure the LT1 is going to be used.) Then the wagon body can be installed on the frame.

Reactions: 72McBowtie
#18 ·
No not yet, Mary just says it can not be a bench seat unless she gets to drive :)
Hi Phil,

I think (from what I know about Monte's) that any AC/radio car, AM or AM/FM or AM/FM stereo, got the dual speakers due to the center AC vent taking precedence over the center speaker. So that is just the way it was built, only way Chevy could do it. If the l+r side speaker mounts are factory and you don't need them, please let me know.

If you are going to do the El Camino frame for stiffness, you can add the bolted bushings under the doors, body should have the threaded insert, just need the appropriate bushings and sleeves. You could also add the vert/Monte mount boxes to the firewall to get the extra bushings there as well. Have done this to mine so I can add all the bushings I can to stiffen up that long body. Info in my nightmare wagon thread.

Wish you were closer, may need some El Camino bits.

Best regards,
Tom
Tom thanks for the info. Send me an email or PM with the bits you need. If they do not fit a wagon I will not be needing them. I saw the vert mounts you added to the firewall, I will not be doing that, the ones under the doors will be used.
Tonight my buddy came over and removed a good chunk of the left quarter panel. He wanted the gas fill door to use on his 66 Chevy truck. The cab mounted tank is coming out and one is being mounted under the bed. It was not a simple matter of just cutting around the door and pulling it out. Although the exterior sheet metal was rusted the wheelhouse looks like new.

#17 ·
Hi Phil,

I think (from what I know about Monte's) that any AC/radio car, AM or AM/FM or AM/FM stereo, got the dual speakers due to the center AC vent taking precedence over the center speaker. So that is just the way it was built, only way Chevy could do it. If the l+r side speaker mounts are factory and you don't need them, please let me know.

If you are going to do the El Camino frame for stiffness, you can add the bolted bushings under the doors, body should have the threaded insert, just need the appropriate bushings and sleeves. You could also add the vert/Monte mount boxes to the firewall to get the extra bushings there as well. Have done this to mine so I can add all the bushings I can to stiffen up that long body. Info in my nightmare wagon thread.

Wish you were closer, may need some El Camino bits.

Best regards,
Tom

#20 ·
on 71 cars one is TCS and the other is a reversing relay to make the TCS work right... Seems overly busy to me, but they do work, at least did on my Monte. I think there is another relay behind the dash that has something to do with the system as well, main power supply or something. Only on AC cars if I remember right...

Best,
Tom

#21 ·
Thanks Tom. I will look under the dash for the third one and will remove all and save before the car goes to its grave. It appears it was unmolested until the parts removal began.

#22 ·
Hi Philip,
I will try to find the documents that describe the TCS operatio on a 71 and post it. Seems incredibly convoluted in its operation, especially when a car is being designed and the most elegant solutions can be inplemented, instead of "make do" solutions.
Best
Tom

#27 ·
An update, this is actually a Ford part, has the Ford logo and part number on it. Sure looks to be the same as the GM radio.

#24 ·
Plilip,
This is looking like a great project you have going. I will be keeping tabs on this one. There are a couple of us Az wagon boys here. When we all have our wagons all ready to roll out. We should all get together and plan a cruise up to one of the big car shows like the Route 66 show in Flag.
Best of luck with this wagon.
Matt

#25 ·
Matt I would be up for that. Do not know how long before it is road worthy though. Money is the hold up, have plenty of time and desire :)

#26 ·
Man, Brother. I hear you on the money part. That is the same roadblock I keep running into. I have been stuck with only being able to do short runs with my wagon. Developed a radiator leak a few months ago. I thought, "no big deal". but then I tried to find a new one. I have been out of the classic car hobby a little long. 12 years ago. You could go to Autozone and pick up an OEM Modine radiator for your old Chevy for maybe $150.00. Not NO MO! Now you can only get at the A.Z. and others these aluminlum core with plastic tanks garbage for that kind of money. To get an OEM radiator I could only find them through ordering from one of the restoration parts places for around $600.00. WTH???!!! This hobby has changed. Not sure what I am going to do. I cannot even find a good used one around. I do not think mine is fixable. So it is just short runs for me for now. :mad:

#31 ·
I will soon be ordering some parts from you Pete. Going to need all the wagon specific weather stripping. I'll let you know what other items will be needed too. Thanks for sharing your knowledge, I am just stumbling along trying to learn, a lot different from all the Malibu's I have owned.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.