Convertible Top Switch - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Convertibles Convertible Q & A's

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 15, 8:02 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Don

Garage
Re: Convertible Top Switch

Gotcha... Not sure about the '69, but on a '72, just need to take out the ashtray and the switch is right there... hardest thing is getting my hand thru the opening to get to the nuts. I'm just surprised AWW or someone else hasn't assembled something like this to sell... or at least I just haven't found them yet.

Don
'72 Malibu Convertible
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/albu...ictureid=23370
TC #4782
Lincoln, Ne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 15, 8:23 PM
Gold Member
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wambams69ss396 View Post
here is the schematic for the 5 pin relay installed under the dash.
That schematic would not be correct for the factory application.

That shows a ground is provided to the motor via the relays. It depicts a simple 2-wire motor where both connection legs are controlled.

Jim S. 's set-up is how it should be constructed. The factory pumps have a dedicated ground. One power wire for up, and one power wire for down.

Each relay's #85 would go to a good ground. Each relay's #30 would splice into the main power feed coming thru the firewall from the firewall mounted circuit breaker. Also spliced into this main power coming into the car would be the common input to the convertible top switch.

The "up" wire out from the switch in the dash would go to the "up" relay's #86 terminal. The down wire out from the switch in the dash would go to the "down" relay's #86 terminal. The "up" relay #87 terminal would go the original "up" wire headed directly to the pump motor. The "down" relay #87 terminal would go to the original "down" wire headed directly to the pump motor.

-If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 15, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Don

Garage

Thanks for the double check Joe...

Don
'72 Malibu Convertible
TC #4782
Lincoln, Ne

post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 15, 11:37 PM
Team Member

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to wambams69ss396

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppertop View Post
That schematic would not be correct for the factory application.

That shows a ground is provided to the motor via the relays. It depicts a simple 2-wire motor where both connection legs are controlled.

Jim S. 's set-up is how it should be constructed. The factory pumps have a dedicated ground. One power wire for up, and one power wire for down.

Each relay's #85 would go to a good ground. Each relay's #30 would splice into the main power feed coming thru the firewall from the firewall mounted circuit breaker. Also spliced into this main power coming into the car would be the common input to the convertible top switch.

The "up" wire out from the switch in the dash would go to the "up" relay's #86 terminal. The down wire out from the switch in the dash would go to the "down" relay's #86 terminal. The "up" relay #87 terminal would go the original "up" wire headed directly to the pump motor. The "down" relay #87 terminal would go to the original "down" wire headed directly to the pump motor.
Joe that schematic was not mine it was copied off another thread relating to the topic.i really don't want to do this for the fourth time, i just want to make sure i get this right.so here is a schematic drawing of your thought on the relay for the convertible top switch.since this drawing is for a 4 pin relay how would i make a 5 pin relay work.is the way i have it drawn correct or do i have to do something with pin 87A?let me know your thoughts.

thanks

Billy

wambams69ss396
69ss396 chevelle HT
57E fathom green
bench seat w/dark green interior
396 325hp
3.73 posi
http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/r...pszhp1iwhw.jpg
69SS396 chevelle convertible
71A lemans blue
bench seat w/parchment interior
http://photobucket.com/69chevelleconvertible
TC#3512
Billy M
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 15, 10:46 AM
Tech Team

Garage

Not trying to be offensive here but before you start altering the factory wiring circuit i would strongly suggest you read the GM convert top manual supplement for trouble shooting fundamentals of your switch replacement issues.
Your obviously over amping the up/down switch(s) suggest you should check the following:

1) Top mechanism adjustment; set for ease of proper working effort
a) Check bushings at all pivot points for lubrication and wear ease of effort
b) Check mechanism for any bent linkage.
c) Check hydraulic cylinders for binding, leaks even actuation effort(disconect from top mechanism to test)
d) Check hydraulic fluid and lines signs of age, leaks, pinching? Has the fluid even been flushed or changed? Do you have enough fluid in the system(or to much)?

2) Top motor Wiring Harness and connections
a) Check condition of main top motor harness wires, all related connectors, all related connections and ground for wear, corrosion or black death.

3) Top Motor pump condition
a) Does it leak or pump slowly? Older motors can be cleaned and rebuilt inexpensively(Hydro-E-Lectric)
b) If the pump motor has been replaced is it the correct model?

When i restored my 71 vert in 2012-13 i went through the top mechansim replaced all factory plastic bushings with new or oilite equivalents. Straightened all the bent linkage. Bought new cylinders, lines and replaced the top motor harness. The modern replacement motors don't look like the originals so i opted to rebuild and restore my original. After filling, bleeding out air bubbles and cycling the cylinders(disconnected) top goes up and down like butter no issues (with a 44 year-old motor).

......._________
.../ /__________\ \
</______________\>
..| O O __ss__ O O |
..\_____|___|_____/
....|__|. . . . . .|__|

1971 Chevelle Super Sport convertible
(Body-off / Documented Matching#s w/3 Build Sheets)
http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewga...=1&carid=56357
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 15, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Don

Garage

Very good points... I'm planning on either rebuilding or replacing the pump motor and top cylinders depending on condition when I start to fix/repair/replace the switch and add relays... I realize I'll need to find the root cause for the switch burning up, otherwise it's cause some other part to fail in the future.
Thanks,
Don

Don
'72 Malibu Convertible
TC #4782
Lincoln, Ne
post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 15, 5:38 PM
Team Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.R.Joye View Post
Not trying to be offensive here but before you start altering the factory wiring circuit i would strongly suggest you read the GM convert top manual supplement for trouble shooting fundamentals of your switch replacement issues.
Your obviously over amping the up/down switch(s) suggest you should check the following:

1) Top mechanism adjustment; set for ease of proper working effort
a) Check bushings at all pivot points for lubrication and wear ease of effort
b) Check mechanism for any bent linkage.
c) Check hydraulic cylinders for binding, leaks even actuation effort(disconect from top mechanism to test)
d) Check hydraulic fluid and lines signs of age, leaks, pinching? Has the fluid even been flushed or changed? Do you have enough fluid in the system(or to much)?

2) Top motor Wiring Harness and connections
a) Check condition of main top motor harness wires, all related connectors, all related connections and ground for wear, corrosion or black death.

3) Top Motor pump condition
a) Does it leak or pump slowly? Older motors can be cleaned and rebuilt inexpensively(Hydro-E-Lectric)
b) If the pump motor has been replaced is it the correct model?

When i restored my 71 vert in 2012-13 i went through the top mechansim replaced all factory plastic bushings with new or oilite equivalents. Straightened all the bent linkage. Bought new cylinders, lines and replaced the top motor harness. The modern replacement motors don't look like the originals so i opted to rebuild and restore my original. After filling, bleeding out air bubbles and cycling the cylinders(disconnected) top goes up and down like butter no issues (with a 44 year-old motor).
thanks but when i did the restoration on the car/top i used the Fisher body manual to make sure it was installed and properly adjusted.plus every thing is new - pump,lines,cylinders,switch, i rebuilt the old frame and made sure all pivot point were well lubed.my feeling is the new pumps are drawing more amps and the switches are cheaply made.

when i want to drop the top i have to run a jumper wire from the battery to pump.the top goes up and down freely with no problems at all.if you do a thread search other people have had the same problem with these new switches.

Billy

wambams69ss396
69ss396 chevelle HT
57E fathom green
396 325hp
3.73 posi
71A lemans blue
TC#3512
Billy M
post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 15, 10:23 AM
Tech Team

Garage

Wow, wasn't aware of quality issues with repro top switches. That may explains why NOS switches fetch decent $. I'll be hanging onto my spare.
Also surprised there isn't anyone in the vintage top`motor' restoration/rebuilding business. Makes more sense to rebuild the originals if decent core is available.

......._________
.../ /__________\ \
</______________\>
..| O O __ss__ O O |
..\_____|___|_____/
....|__|. . . . . .|__|

1971 Chevelle Super Sport convertible
(Body-off / Documented Matching#s w/3 Build Sheets)
http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewga...=1&carid=56357
post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 15, 11:29 PM
Team Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.R.Joye View Post
Wow, wasn't aware of quality issues with repro top switches. That may explains why NOS switches fetch decent $. I'll be hanging onto my spare.
Also surprised there isn't anyone in the vintage top`motor' restoration/rebuilding business. Makes more sense to rebuild the originals if decent core is available.
i should have and could have rebuilt my switch and motor.the only thing i thought was a new parts would be better.not so sure about that now.....

wambams69ss396
69ss396 chevelle HT
57E fathom green
396 325hp
3.73 posi
71A lemans blue
TC#3512
Billy M
post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 15, 2:11 PM
Gold Member
Joe

Billy,

You drew the schematic correctly. The 87a terminals (normally closed) are simply not used.

If one wanted to alter the wiring so the top can only be operated with the key "on" , the main power into the actual switch would be tied to a switched ignition source like the the IGN slot on the fuse box rather then tied back into the main incoming power.

K.R. had some excellent advice, however even if the system is operating to proper specs, the original design was sub-par and done so for cost savings. By not using relays, the full load of the motor windings is flowing thru the switch contacts. Even with heavy duty contacts, motors represent an inductive load which causes a nice "arc" with each operation which pitts the contacts causing premature failure. This is the same reason for all the issues with the factory blower switches in the HVAC control panel.

-If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 15, 3:41 PM
Team Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppertop View Post
Billy,

You drew the schematic correctly. The 87a terminals (normally closed) are simply not used.

If one wanted to alter the wiring so the top can only be operated with the key "on" , the main power into the actual switch would be tied to a switched ignition source like the the IGN slot on the fuse box rather then tied back into the main incoming power.

K.R. had some excellent advice, however even if the system is operating to proper specs, the original design was sub-par and done so for cost savings. By not using relays, the full load of the motor windings is flowing thru the switch contacts. Even with heavy duty contacts, motors represent an inductive load which causes a nice "arc" with each operation which pitts the contacts causing premature failure. This is the same reason for all the issues with the factory blower switches in the HVAC control panel.

thanks joe for your response.
guys i will post some pictures of my relay setup when i am finished.

wambams69ss396
69ss396 chevelle HT
57E fathom green
396 325hp
3.73 posi
71A lemans blue
TC#3512
Billy M
post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 15, 7:01 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Don

Garage

Well after failing to find the 3-prong male and female connector to splice into the circuit at the back of the switch, I decide to splice into the harness where the converible top switch harness connects into the wiring harness. I ordered the Packard connectors and crimp tool since I didn't have one for the F type connectors and sketched up the below based off Billy, Jim & Joes input. This will still allow me to take it out and reconnect the original harness together.
Thanks for the help guys...
Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	281569  

Don
'72 Malibu Convertible
TC #4782
Lincoln, Ne
post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 15, 8:58 PM
Tech Team

I was hoping you might find the male and female to make connections at the switch but I thought that how the design was no one really made the male pin connector (sorta like finding a similar connector for use on some of the GM power window switches which also have a connector that is close to your switch connections style).

Anyway, if you can solder, maybe after crimping on the ends to the wire, solder them. They might not ever go south for many years but it something to possibly do, if you can.

Maybe too, look at getting some relay sockets that interlock to each other so that now you have more or less a relay assembly that might be easier to mount and if a relay would fail, it would be easier to replace.

Take plenty of pictures and post them when you can.

Jim
post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 15, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Don

Garage

Me too, I thought there would be other applications that would have them. I will be soldering the connections as well. I did the same on the home made harness I made for a 3-speed manual with electric overdrive I put in my previous car. I figure with the current it was carrying, it couldn't hurt.
Once I get all the pieces I'll try to locate a handy spot to install and shoot a pic or two.

Don
'72 Malibu Convertible
TC #4782
Lincoln, Ne
post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 15, 11:47 AM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

You could do it with a simple single pole, double throw, center off toggle switch much easier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 433 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.