need tips on making my own spark plug wires - Chevelle Tech
2004 General Tech Forum from 2004

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 04, 8:56 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I would really like to replace my existing, way too long, spark plug wires on my 69 with wires the exact right length. So I would like to make them myself. I hear you can buy a roll of wire, and boots and ends and make up your own. But on reading other posts on this site, some say it is difficult.
I have the stock points distributor, and since the car has no computer, the 7mm carbon core wire should work fine for me, right?. How difficult is it to cut and crimp the ends? Can I buy wires individually the right length already made up instead of making my own? Your tips and experience are sought.

Marley; 65 malibu SS /70 vette /69 cutlass
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 04, 9:49 AM
Gold Founding Member

One of the more interesting convolutions of the English language: "Custom Fit" plug wires are built WAY TOO LONG, so they can be used on every engine Detroit ever built. "Universal" plug wires are cut to fit your particular engine and plug wire routing system. Go figure.

If you want to do this the least expensive way, go to a REAL parts store (not the exhaust tips 'n' blue headlight kind) and buy eight distributor terminals, a tube of silicone grease, and a plug wire crimper. Maybe $20. You can "probably" re-use your existing wires and boots. Dab of grease on the wire, slide the boot up a few inches to expose the metal distributor end. Cut the wires to length, crimp on the new end, slide the boot down.

I for one will NEVER use carbon core wires. My preference is the helical wound wires supplied by any number of companies. I tend to use MSD Super Conductors. These come with the plug end already on, and a crimping tool to do the distributor end. I've never had any luck with the MSD crimper supplied, so I use a pliers-type.

I tend to make plug wires about two inches longer than "perfect", so if I burn a plug end, I can cut it and re-crimp without having to replace the wire.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 04, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

The reason I was leaning to the old carbon core wire is because of what I read about increased RFI with a copper or stainless wire core. I don't want any problems with my new stereo that I just installed.
Are there any tricks to stripping the jacket off to expose the inner core of whatever wire you use to prevent nicking that inner conductor wire? Or do you just cut with a knife or the like and get close to the core, and then tear the jacket away. Maybe it is just trial and error based on the wire.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 04, 12:47 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Rick

Marley, while you are at it, you may consider hiding them. On all the custom show car engine compartments I do, I buy these kits on purpose and run the wires down the back of the engine and then under the headers. This makes for a very clean engine compartment and also makes valve cover removal a snap. Just an idea.

www.musclecarrestorationanddesign.com
Musclecar Restoration and Design
Pleasant Plains, IL
217-626-(CARS)

Specializing in the LS6 Chevelle and Hi po Chevrolets
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62r-6vgk2_8
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 04, 1:08 PM
Senior Tech Team
Fritz

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick_Nelson:
Marley, while you are at it, you may consider hiding them. On all the custom show car engine compartments I do, I buy these kits on purpose and run the wires down the back of the engine and then under the headers. This makes for a very clean engine compartment and also makes valve cover removal a snap. Just an idea.
What do you use for a wire loom when you run 'em this way?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 04, 1:15 PM
Tech Team
Ed

Send a message via AIM to ed3196499 Send a message via Yahoo to ed3196499
if you go the under header mount you can make your looms out of wire ties they are not seen. I used of the shelf wires the longest ones I could get since they have to travel a little further than normally, and be patient it takes a while but I think its worth it

http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/ed...engbayside.jpg

Ed
U.S. Coast Guard, BMC
1970 Chevelle, 307
2004 Ford F250, Crew Cab, 4x4, 6.0 Powerstroke
2005 Harley Sportster 1200C
2006 Chevy Impala
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 04, 1:29 PM
Team Member
Jerry

Ed, that engine you posted doesn't really run does it? It must be just for show

Looks awesome, great job

Jerry
65 Beaumont
L96 6 Liter
Straub hyd. roller
Tremec 5 speed

http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/da...e_Rims_014.jpg

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 04, 1:41 PM
Tech Team
Ed

Send a message via AIM to ed3196499 Send a message via Yahoo to ed3196499
Thanks Jerry it runs like a champ actually running in the pic [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Ed
U.S. Coast Guard, BMC
1970 Chevelle, 307
2004 Ford F250, Crew Cab, 4x4, 6.0 Powerstroke
2005 Harley Sportster 1200C
2006 Chevy Impala
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 04, 1:47 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage
Quote:
Ed, that engine you posted doesn't really run does it? It must be just for show
WOW!!!

I like that... Are those just 90-degree plug boots for the PCV and temp sender? Polished hardline... Nice touch...

I ran mine along the valve cover and around the back and thought they looked pretty good, but boy I have some more work to do...

http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/1966_L78/Engine1.JPG

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366
'70 Chevelle 427 Stroker
'66 Convertible Sold
Dual Quad 396 & Conv Int
'66 SS L78
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 04, 2:38 PM
Team Member
Jerry

Well you can see every wire in mine, but I have an excuse. I am an electrician and wire just gives me that warm fuzzy feeling [img]smile.gif[/img]

Jerry
65 Beaumont
L96 6 Liter
Straub hyd. roller
Tremec 5 speed

http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/da...e_Rims_014.jpg

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 04, 3:35 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Rick

What do you use for a wire loom when you run 'em this way?
I have a whole box full of factory wire looms from various OEM manufactures that I bolt to areas behind and under the exhaust. Works very well as well as the wire tie idea.

www.musclecarrestorationanddesign.com
Musclecar Restoration and Design
Pleasant Plains, IL
217-626-(CARS)

Specializing in the LS6 Chevelle and Hi po Chevrolets
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62r-6vgk2_8
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 04, 7:52 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I cut into one of my existing wires. It has what appears to be hundreds of tiny strands of fiberglass, or is that carbon, wrapped by a small black tube of plastic?. Are these what are known as carbon wires? In any event, it seems fairly easy to skin the jacket off to expose this plastic core with strands inside. So I am tempted to just buy distributor ends and shorten mine, for experience at least. But I need a tool to crimp the new ends onto the wire. Who makes a good tool at a reasonable, hobbiest, price? My auto parts store quoted me fifty bucks for a crimping tool. I was hoping to pay less. Any info here guys?

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 04, 8:59 PM
Tech Team
Garry

Awe inspiring motor Ed, don't mind if we borrow a few ideas do you [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Garry
67 Chevelle
454 10:1 compression
CCC roller 233-239, 288-296 .623 lift
063 ported heads
Muncie 4-Speed
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 04, 9:13 PM
Tech Team

summit sells a msd crimping tool that you use with a vice for about $7.00 I have used it to make my wires and it has worked great. Tim, Michigan
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 04, 1:17 AM
Rad
Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Rad
i made my own wires before and it turned out ok. i used regular pliers to crimp the connectors... that was a bad idea but the wires are still holding out.. if you make your own use the crimping tool..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.