71 Chevelle SS Convertible - Chevelle Tech
Top Tech Reference Tech Articles

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 00, 5:15 AM Thread Starter

Considering purchasing one allegedly an LS6 with engine number T1020CPR. Supposedly a numbers matching 4 speed. I have read articles that say there were never LS6's in 71 Chevelles and others that do. My research shows this to be a Turbo 400 LS6 for 71 in a Chevelle, so is it wrong motor? I am confused and want to buy it, but am nervous. Owner no help. Any chance this is correct motor.

FYI your tech pages don't list codes for 71 454's. Can this be updated?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 00, 7:45 AM
Senior Tech Team

I don't see a CPR engine code for chevelle. CPY is a '71 LS6 mated with a TH400 and CPZ is a 71 LS6 mated to a four speed. If it has evidence of factory AC then it definately is not an LS6 car.

------------------
Steve Strasemeier (70SS 396, Fathom Blue/White Stripes)

[This message has been edited by Steve S (edited 08-11-2000).]
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 00, 9:30 AM Thread Starter

Steve, see this web page. This will show you my confusion. No, the car has no signs of air. http://www.nastyz28.com/sbchevy/spcodea.html

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve S:
I don't see a CPR engine code for chevelle. CPY is a '71 LS6 mated with a TH400 and CPZ is a 71 LS6 mated to a four speed. If it has evidence of factory AC then it definately is not an LS6 car.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 00, 10:31 AM
Senior Tech Team
Dave

Sure its not CPP (with a scratch)? This would be correct for a LS-6 4spd
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 00, 11:09 AM
Team Member
Tom

tr,
First of all, this is ONLY important if you are wanting to own a legit, numbers matching car. Otherwise, proceed.
Check it out close, test drive it . If all is to your satisfaction and you can buy it for a price that you think is fair---------DO IT! These cars (ESPECIALLY ONES IN GOOD SHAPE) are getting scarce. Nice convertibles are really hard to find. I bought a 70 Malibu conv for my wife 2yrs ago and gave a little more than I wanted to give (about a $1000 more). I have put another $6000 into it and do not regret one dime of it now.

------------------
Tom Parsons
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 00, 1:30 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

A 71 LS-6?! and a convertible?! Sounds fishy to me....possible re-stamp on the block?! I'd check casting codes on the heads AND block,even the intake..does it have aluminum heads? All 71 LS-6's built had 'em....and all 1971 LS-6's where used in Corvette's,188 to be exact..Tonanwanda plant shows a few LS-6 blocks slated for 71 Chevelle applications(hence the engine suffix codes)But,I'm sure they where all test mules.I can just imagine what the seller is asking for this "rare" piece...

------------------
1970 Chevelle SS396/L78/M21/4.10
1972 Olds 442 convertible(455,W25,M40)
1982 Oldsmobile Cutlass 350 Olds,TH350(daily driver)
"Be aware of the possible ramifications of the potential outcome"
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 00, 2:29 PM Thread Starter

Well, guys. Now I'm really confused. We're talking a good piece of change here, but not even close to what it's worth if it's real. All I've seen so far is pictures. All I can see is a high rise aluminum intake. The emblems are all correct, and it's a 4 speed with the gauge package and cowl hood.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 00, 3:29 PM
Tech Team

My sources also show CPR as 454/425HP and TH400. How long has the present owner had the car? Maybe the "#s matching 4 speed" isn't the right tranny. Is the last six numbers of the cars vin on the engine too? I would look for that, then focus on the transmission, but depending on what he is asking I would still strongly consider buying the car. Let us know what you find out.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 00, 7:06 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cg...645547&r=0&t=0

Is this the car?

I see a 5500 rpm redline tach = 402ci or 365 hp 454. Looks like iron heads on that motor. I would beware the elusive 1971 LS6 unless it's documented to the hilt.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 00, 7:31 PM
Senior Tech Team

I believe this ad to be fishy. When I read the ad I see someone who is positioning themself to defend a lawsuit. They never make a firm claim. I agree that unless there is documentation to back up his "claim" that the car is not a real SS.

Steve R.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 00, 2:55 AM Thread Starter

Yes and yes. I believe the ad to be fishy as well. I have attempted numerous times to obtain the vin and other info. No success.

I'm moving on to other pursuits.

Thank you all
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 00, 3:39 PM
Gold Founding Member
Sid

I agree with "fishy" as well...thought the power top switch was supposed to be on the left side of the radio...right side was for rear defrost switch in a hardtop car?? Although I'd still guess it's worth a good chunk of change-they ARE getting rare, esp. the big blocks.

------------------
71 Ragtop, under construction and over budget!
MCC #347, TC (Gold) #174
N3JHV@bellatlantic.net
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 00, 4:23 PM
Team Member
Tom

I do not want to offend ANYONEHERE AT ALL, EVER. But I believe there is something here to be considered. This may not be a numbers matching car, it may not be an LS-6 car, it may not be an SS car. Heck, it may be a plaino 307 Malibu that's been converted. I strongly agree that if it is a legit, documented, numbers matching car, then the price should reflect that. But if it is a counterfit car (some or all of it) AND IT IS TASTEFULLY AND CORRECTLY DONE WITH THE RIGHT PARTS, then it certainly is worth a fair price. Have people become so obcessed and blinded with the numbers, codes, accessories, etc. that they CANNOT see the value of the vehicle before them? If this car has a straight, rust free body, and is tight and solid with a dependable drivetrain and a good working convertible top, I feel it is worth buying if that is what a person is looking for.
Absolutely, a person should negotiate for the very best price that they can get so that these cars don't become rediculous in value. As I said before, I gave (I thought) too much for the 70 conv for my wife-------and it was a MATCHING NUMBER car!!! Right, a 2bl 307 car!!!! I got that 307 out of there and got rid of it and the Saginaw 4sp so quick it would make your head spin. Now it has a 406, Muncie, 12bolt posi and CI Hood. It looks one HECK of a lot better, performs a lot better and I'm convinced its value is better.
So if the car is a nice car, IT'S THE CAR THAT YOU REALLY WANT, and it can be had for an acceptable price, BUY IT!! To heck with the numbers

------------------
Tom Parsons
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 00, 6:28 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

I agree Tom,well said.

------------------
1970 Chevelle SS396/L78/M21/4.10
1972 Olds 442 convertible(455,W25,M40)
1982 Oldsmobile Cutlass 350 Olds,TH350(daily driver)
"Be aware of the possible ramifications of the potential outcome"
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 00, 6:48 PM
Gold Founding Member

Dittos to DZAUTO!
Who cares about numbers matching, chalk marks on firewalls and all that other bullbleep, if she looks pretty and goes like hell, BUY IT!!

------------------
Nick P.
Team Chevelle Gold #36
http://people.ne.mediaone.net/nicpal/home.htm www.chevelles.com/showroom/Nick's1970ChevelleSS396.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.