Team Chevelle banner

vertical chrome bar on '70 SS grill

3K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  michael j 
#1 ·
What's the deal with the bright stainless vertical trim in the center of the '70 grill? I am of the understanding that SS cars never came with this trim, yet I see so many restored cars with the vertical bars above and below the SS emblem. Doesn't look right, IMO. Did they actually come this way from certain plants?

#3 ·
The folks that do the klone kars, Just do not have the time to read the book on " How to clone a 1970 Chevelle SS ". The book is only $8.95.:nerd:
Bob

#5 ·
The same cars usually have the 69 style master cylinder as well as have the cowl induction seal installed incorrectly and some of them even have the "Caution Fan" decal. :grin2:

Reactions: Donnie1
#6 ·
The deal is that they are flat out BAD/WRONG restorations or fakes. Simple. Period.

The vertical bar was used on the SS, but it was blacked out like the grille. Easy to not notice it.
The 70 SS grill was originally black plastic, not the Malibu silver grill painted black. To say that the vertical silver bars were "blacked out" for SS grills (which were already black) makes no sense what so ever.

Leave the vertical bars OFF. I point to the famously unmolested L78 barn find as evidence:

Original High-Performance, SS396, four-speed 1970 L78 Chevelle Found Parked in a Storage Lot Since 1983 - Hot Rod Network

The other interesting thing to note about that car, as noted by the grill, is that it appears to be an Oshawa built car, which did not paint the body color on the central horizontal (where the SS badge mounts.)

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.