Team Chevelle banner

Wrong Protect-O-Plate issued with car - anyone else?

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  floyd66 
#1 ·
I have a 1970 Chevelle that I've owned for the last 19 years. I bought it from the family of the original owner. The dad's name is written on the warranty booklet, along with the car's VIN, delivery date, and the selling dealer. However, in an odd twist, the Protect-O-Plate affixed to the warranty booklet is for a different 1970 Chevelle.

Anyone else come across this type of mistake? I know it has been discussed here that the wrong build sheet sometimes ended up in cars on the assembly line. However, this particular mixup must have happened at the selling dealer. My 70 was build in Van Nuys, and the car to which the POP belongs was built in Kansas City, which rules out a factory mixup.

#3 ·
That scenario doesn't add up Cam :) Sometimes a picture is worth 1000 words. The handwritten VIN on the back of the booklet matches the car I have, and the selling dealer is the same one listed on the build sheet, and the name on the POP label is the same as the handwritten name on the back of the booklet. And its the father of the guy who sold me the car.

#4 ·
Transplanted POP from a first week of January Kansas vehicle taped into the warranty book for your mid April Van Nuys car? Looks questionable that there is what looks like masking tape under the embossed owner name/address tape. Not an expert here just my 2¢!

#5 ·
Definitely a mistake at the dealer.....I can imagine how it could happen, just carelessness by someone at the dealer. But the part about the masking tape being stuck over the top of the metal plate, and then the 'official' GM Dymo label tape being affixed to the masking tape????? That's just weird.

Since you bought the car from the family of the original owner, I wouldn't worry about it too much, but if and when the time comes for you to sell it, that's going to be pretty much impossible to explain logically to potential buyers.

#7 ·
Weird for sure, Bill. The reality is I don't have the correct POP for the car, so the existence or non-existence of this one isn't going to increase nor decrease the value of the car. It doesn't "document" the car in any way, but fortunately I have the build sheet which accomplishes that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.