Team Chevelle banner

Confirming Original Engine

622 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Bill Pritchard 
#1 ·
I have a 69 Chevelle Convertible. I took pictures of the engine information but they are not very legible. Does anyone have a recommendation on how else I can confirm the current engine in my car is the original engine?

#4 ·
Here's a good place to reference for where to find all the numbers you will need: 1967-69 Camaro Drivetrain Decoding Try to get good pictures of everything as it isn't uncommon to find restamped numbers on blocks and transmissions to pass cars off as "numbers matching". Plenty of guys on here can tell the original stamps from restamped numbers. On the engine you'll need the casting number of the block, casting date, the pad stamp(s), and possibly the partial VIN stamp near the oil filter if it isn't on the engine pad. Transmission will require pictures of the assembly stamp and partial VIN stamp. There are also casting numbers/casting dates/assembly stamps on the rearend, but no partial VIN stamp on those.

#5 ·
First thing I would do is get the numbers & letters off the pad on the front passenger side of the block, underneath the alternator. You may need to remove or reposition the alternator to get good clear pictures. Then we can go from there.....

Reactions: davewho1
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.