Team Chevelle banner

Correct Master Cylinder Lid for '69?

1K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  blm 
#1 ·
Have been looking around a little for a correct master cylinder lid. It is my understanding that the correct lid is the one with the set of numbers "J1703" stamped on the lid. Can anyone confirm this? Also do any of the Chevelle parts vendors sell the correct style or does one have to go to a Corvette parts supplier to get a correct lid?

#2 ·
Sent you a PM. Give me your email addy and I'll send you the pic of an original.

#3 ·
There were two lids used during the 69 model year. The first lid used DELCO FLUID
USE BRAKE
. .
WITH PARTS
SERVICE DELCO

The second used DELCO SERVICE
PARTS WITH
. .
SAE USE
J1703

BRAKE DELCO
FLUID
I can send pics too if needed and I don't know when they switched but my guess would be before the 68 year ended

#10 ·
There were two lids used during the 69 model year. The first lid used DELCO FLUID
USE BRAKE
. .
WITH PARTS
SERVICE DELCO

The second used DELCO SERVICE
PARTS WITH
. .
SAE USE
J1703

BRAKE DELCO
FLUID

I can send pics too if needed and I don't know when they switched but my guess would be before the 68 year ended
FWIW My 69 El Camino base has the J1703 lid on Power Disc Brakes.

#5 ·
I have seen repo lids with both versions.on them. Are they all made by same manufacturer? Idoes one stand out above the others?

#6 ·
I'm still trying to get the pic CHad sent me to forward...I think his was the non J-marked lid. Hard to read in the picture. His car was an early car. November 68

#11 · (Edited)
Thanks Rob. Mine is an August 69 build so I believe it should have the lid with the J1703 on it.

Here is one offered from NPD. I thought it was correct but after comparing to the pic Chad sent it is not close.

#12 ·
The one in your NPD picture above is for drum brakes. Note the smaller size and the opposite direction of the bail catches from the disc lid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.