71-72 SS sport side mirrors - Chevelle Tech
Restoration Corner Where originality comes first.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 10, 8:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

71-72 SS sport side mirrors

As most everyone knows all 71-72 SS Chevelles and El Caminos came standard with sport/Bullet style mirrors. Mine came without mirrors of any sort(They were gone as it was someone elses project) My questions are these:

1) Was driver mirror always remote?
2) Did pass. mirror have the phrase "Objects closer than they appear" on it or did that start post 71-72
3)Are these the same mirrors found on Camaros and Firebirds through the 70's.

I would my like our "resto" as close to original as possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 10, 8:44 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Joseph

Garage
Re: 71-72 SS sport side mirrors

1) Yes
2) ?
3) No

Joseph
TC# 5427
ACES# 7460

1972 Chevelle SS 454 LS5 "W" Code Convertible
Sequoia Green White Top and Interior
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/j...enWVert005.jpg
1970 Chevelle SS 396 "L78" 4 Speed Coupe
Black with Black Bucket Interior
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/j...JoesL78015.jpg
1970 Chevelle SS 454 LS6 Coupe
Forrest Green with Green Bucket Interior
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/j...spu8sy612.jpeg
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 10, 9:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972convss454 View Post
1) Yes
2) ?
3) No
Really? Not to be argumentitive but whats the diff between a F Body and an A Body sport/bullet mirror. I havent seen them next to each other but Im curious none the less.

PS-i noticed that neither of the vert 72"s in your sig have pass. side mirrors-just curious as to why is all. Something unique to verts?
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 10, 9:11 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971ss454Elco View Post
As most everyone knows all 71-72 SS Chevelles and El Caminos came standard with sport/Bullet style mirrors.

My '71 SS454 EC came with only the chrome remote (D33). And it's positively original to the vehicle.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 10, 9:28 PM
Team Member
Mike

1. Yes
2. No way.
3. No, they will not work because those mirrors mounted on the vertical area of the doors, where the Chevelle's mounted on the flat area of the door.

Mike
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 10, 9:28 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chevelle Doctor

The right side mirror was an option until like 1973. The difference in the mirrors is in the angle of the base. If you see a 71-72 with a bullet mirror on the right, look at how it sits on the door compared to the left side.

Authentication and pre-purchase inspection service still available. PM me for more information.
Still looking for that elusive 76 Nova SS.
People who have nothing better to do than b!tch about signatures need to get a life.
70 Chevelle L78/M21
10 Avalanche LT 1500 4wd
06 Equinox
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 10, 10:55 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
JOHN

There is a guy on this site that can convert sport mirrors (GM) to work just like original ones but they are pricey. I bought a pair at Chevellabration 08 that I have not got back from the body shop yet. I think his web site is spoilersbyrandy as he also makes spoilers for our cars . Somewhere I have his business card . He was also at CB last year.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 10, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by zookpr View Post
My '71 SS454 EC came with only the chrome remote (D33). And it's positively original to the vehicle.
The owner (second) I bought mine from swears that it came with dual chrome mirrors, of which you speak, driver side being remote like you'd find on a Monte Carlo or other GM A Body. Everyone else says no way! 71-72 SS only came with dual sport mirrors and was a standard item when the SS package was chosen.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 10, 6:39 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
The owner (second) I bought mine from swears that it came with dual chrome mirrors, of which you speak, driver side being remote like you'd find on a Monte Carlo or other GM A Body. Everyone else says no way! 71-72 SS only came with dual sport mirrors and was a standard item when the SS package was chosen.
"Everyone else says no way"? Yes, way! My '71 SS454 EC has approx 11,000 miles, original paint, and the mirror is listed on the build sheet just as I stated. Maybe an option? But that is exactly how it came from the factory.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 10, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by zookpr View Post
"Everyone else says no way"? Yes, way! My '71 SS454 EC has approx 11,000 miles, original paint, and the mirror is listed on the build sheet just as I stated. Maybe an option? But that is exactly how it came from the factory.
I agree with you my friend just informing all of what most others are saying both on this sight and at just about every other venue I attend. I have a set of chrome mirrors, driver being remote, Id like to use(Like the ones you have). Do you know if the option (D33) listed on your build sheet means that specific chrome mirror like you have would've been installed or could a sport mirror have been installed and if so would a different option number have been on build sheet. Could one get a driver sport mirror only? or did they come in sets when the SS package was ordered. Our 71 SS 454 Elco is far from concours or numbers correct we just want it to be a quality resto thats as close to GM as possible only with modern upgrades.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 10, 12:58 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Joseph

Garage

I have seen several '71 SS's with out the Bullet Sport Mirror. They had the regular D33 chrome remote. They did not come as a pair. Most of the Bullet Right side mirrors I have seen are incorrect.

Joseph
TC# 5427
ACES# 7460

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 10, 3:38 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

I believe the remote chrome was standard on the SS and the sport mirror was an option. The plastic gasket or insulator is a chevelle only item fot the sport mirror. It does not share the same part number with any others. There are several ways to make them fit ok. I would find a correct drivers side and make the passenger side work. It has been several years since I have seen a NOS passenger side sport mirror sell and it was not cheap. The chevelle mirror has a unique feature about it.
Hope this helps some

Nelson

PS: Be careful most of the sport mirrors sold as chevelle are not!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

71 Malibu 400 B B Conv _72 GS 455 Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming: "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 10, 3:50 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
I agree with you my friend just informing all of what most others are saying both on this sight and at just about every other venue I attend. I have a set of chrome mirrors, driver being remote, Id like to use(Like the ones you have). Do you know if the option (D33) listed on your build sheet means that specific chrome mirror like you have would've been installed or could a sport mirror have been installed and if so would a different option number have been on build sheet. Could one get a driver sport mirror only? or did they come in sets when the SS package was ordered. Our 71 SS 454 Elco is far from concours or numbers correct we just want it to be a quality resto thats as close to GM as possible only with modern upgrades.
Not sure. D33 was an ordered option to the best of my knowlege. Perhaps something changed later in the year. My '71 was a May '71 vehicle. My '70 has the single standard (non-remote) mirror. I like it better as it is no so honking big as the D33. Remote is really only advantagous to multiple drivers.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 10, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

What does everyone think of these? Could also be had in paint to match as well versus chrome plated. Driver side only available.

http://www.opgi.com/product.asp?catm...7053&yearrange=
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 10, 10:46 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Joseph

Garage

Quote:
What does everyone think of these? Could also be had in paint to match as well versus chrome plated. Driver side only available.

http://www.opgi.com/product.asp?catm...7053&yearrange=
Haven't seen one in person. It looks okay. The only problem I have found with some mirrors is you can't see in them all that well. (distorted)

FYI: NPD has the same mirror at a better price.

Joseph
TC# 5427
ACES# 7460

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.