Team Chevelle banner

Paint orignal color or not?

2K views 16 replies 16 participants last post by  xoldschlracer66 
#1 ·
I have a 67 chevelle SS 138 i am wondering if I should paint it back original color deep water blue or any color? Dont have orignal motor but do have a LS 5 big block that runs great. My plan is to put big wheels on it and lower it. Kinda pro touring will this hurt the sale of the car if I ever sale it. It also has buckets 12 bolt and 4 speed orignal.:yes:

#2 ·
Since the car is NOM and will be customized, paint it any color you like. My standard answer to value at time of sale is: The car is worth EXACTLY what the guy with cash has to offer on the day you HAVE to sell. Any other day the "value" is meaningless. Just like the value of a share of stock. You pay a certain price to buy it and it's value floats. The only other day that the value REALLY matters is the day you sell. Then you know if you made or lost. Same with a car! To answer the value question a little differently, the more "custom" you make the car, the harder it is to sell because it is personalized. Not everyone will like all your changes (and I don't mean your as in Stanley I mean the global "your"). A bit like selling a house. Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

#3 ·
Over the years, I've sold at least three cars that weren't the original colour. The buyers could care less. Unless it is a Yenko, COPO or perhaps an L78 car, I don't think it matters all that much. If I had a nice colour like Deep Water Blue, I'd probably stick with it. Can't hurt and and the car will look great and be correct at the same time.

#5 ·
Over the years, I've sold at least three cars that weren't the original colour. The buyers could care less. Unless it is a Yenko, COPO or perhaps an L78 car, I don't think it matters all that much.
I agree as this has been my experience as well. The only thing I personally would do is try to paint it a color that was available for that make and model year, if possible.

#7 ·
:cool: The paint job is a really big deal; it will make or break how you feel about your car, and it's expensive enough that you probable won't immediately redo it if you don't like it. I've seen guys get their cars back from the paint booth and hate the color -- they end up either selling the car or it just sits in their garage, never worked on again.

Look at other's Chevelles and see what color really does it for you. Then get the car painted so you like it. Oh, and don't have an amateur paint it, get a great paint job, not a "deal."

#10 ·
If it were mine I'd paint it Marina Blue. I wouldn't care if it were the rarest, one-of-a-kind car on the planet, I just love that color on the `66-`67 Chevelles. Bottom line, do what makes you happy. Unless you're planning on selling it soon don't worry about what it might be worth to the next guy.

#14 ·
Agreed, Gold is hideous. If you're even slightly considering selling this car down the line, Gold will absolutely bring down the value.

Deepwater Blue is an awesome color. Looks black at certain angles & really shows off in the sun.

#16 ·
I always say, If you can stomach the original color, you can't go wrong with it. As long as it isn't brown or tan or some hidious green. ( I own a 71 lime green malibu, that I converted to an all black 70 SS) . You are dealing with a very nice color, I would give it a nice original color, and customize the suspension like you planned. It is reversable if you or someone else wanted to do later. I did a tube chasis 62 nova in the original fawn green, and it looked awesome. When asked where I came up with the color, I was able to tell them it was the original color. It was the only thing original besides the roof. I don't believe that people give that much attention to the color, quality is important.
Good luck. Jon

#17 ·
Hmmm.... Im kinda a fan of "gold-ish".. Sandlewood Tan... my racecar :hurray:

However.... My FAVORITE is black.... my baby :D

But to answer your question,,, since your car isnt completely matching,, a color change shouldnt affect it much at all, as long as you stay within the availible colors for your particular year, as previously mentioned. :yes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.