Moser a good choice? Or go S60? - Chevelle Tech
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 16, 6:46 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Moser a good choice? Or go S60?

Currently in the process of getting my LSA/4L80e swap in my 1972 Chevelle completed. Once done, the car should have around 750 fwhp and 700+lb/ft torque. I currently have a stock 12 bolt w/ Moser axles and stock posi unit. Car is 100% a street car. Do you think a Moser 12 bolt w/ 33 spline axles and trutrac is a good way to go? Or get the bigger/badder S60 w S-trac. I know the S60 is stronger in every way and cheaper but I like the fact the Moser 12 bolt has taller ears for better rear end geometry, is lighter and more efficient. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 16, 8:18 PM
Senior Tech Team
Greg.

Garage
Re: Moser a good choice? Or go S60?

For me it was a easy choose

After some Researching it appeared the S60 by Strange was the best chose for me;
1. I want to cruze in my car, 100 miles one way to my brothers place
2. I want to go to the track every weekend, weather permitting
3. The S60 is the lesser parasitic of the 3 Rearends and is the strongest
4. plus changing to a higher # gearing, 3.55 12 Bolt to a 3.70 S60, at no extra cost,
meant possible faster ET times in the 60' an 1/4
5. the weight difference was not that much, and at least it was in the right place, right over the Tires
6. picked the TrueTrac/Worm Gears, which means no more rebuilding the 12 Bolt for Springs/Shims
7. the Ears I believe are Taller also on the S60 from Strange
8. the prices are all in the same ball park

67 Chevelle Malibu SS Cdn
Born 283 / PG / A51
Now 468/Th400 2,500 stall/ S60 3.70 Gs
Prev M&H MSS001 street Tires/dress 2015/9/20
60' = 1.756 1/8 = 7.815 et / 89 mph
1/4 = 12.253 et / 111 mph
NEW Best on M/T S/R #6641 street Tires/dress 2016/10/9
60' = 1.720 1/8 = 7.747 et / 89 mph
1/4 = 12.112 et / 112 mph
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 16, 10:33 AM
Senior Tech Team
Freddie

If you just want to stay with something that looks original then the Moser 12 bolt is a good choice. It's a lot stronger than the original 12 bolt.

The S60 is a good strong rear end at a good price. One thing that you need to keep in mind is that you can't go higher than a 3.54 in the 60. There are no 3.08, 2.73 or any other gears in that range for this rear end. You probably won't care because you have an overdrive transmission.
70CHEVELLE396 likes this.

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 16, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Keeping original looking does have a little importance to me I guess. Prolly why a 9" isn't on my list I just want to make sure the Moser is up to the task. Both are a cool $3Gs so I want the money spent only once
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 16, 12:08 PM
Senior Tech Team
Freddie

If it's only a street car then the 12 bolt will be fine. 700 HP is getting close to the limit of the 12 bolt, so if you plan on putting slicks on it then you might think about the 60.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 16, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

For *****s and giggles, I emailed quicktime performance as they are only 1.5 hours from me. I hate the thought of putting a Ford item on my car but if the price is right!
70CHEVELLE396 likes this.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 16, 12:33 PM
Team Member
Rich

Garage

For street use you won't hurt any of them.
BillyGman likes this.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 16, 9:36 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiserLT1 View Post
For *****s and giggles, I emailed quicktime performance as they are only 1.5 hours from me. I hate the thought of putting a Ford item on my car but if the price is right!
I felt the exact same way, so that's why I went with the Moser. However if you think about it, the aftermarket 9" rears have nothing Ford about them.
BillyGman likes this.

70 Chevelle 396, TH400, Moser 12 bolt, custom Tom's Eaton posi, 3.73, UMI/Viking front suspension, PMT rear.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 16, 9:59 PM
Tech Team

The big power people I know shy away from Moser, Strange seems to be in the big cars.

A friend of mine has a blown '66 Impala. He shattered the 12 bolt when he had like 600hp. He went with a Dana 60 and he's fine now at 850hp. He had a friend always yelling at him for getting "that heavy assed Dana" until HE broke his 9 inch at 600hp. Come to think of it, I broke the gears in my 9 inch back in the 80's in my Monte (600hp/600tq at flywheel).

At your power level, get the Dana. From Strange. You'll sleep better.
Kirk's67SS likes this.

LS1tech.com supermoderator.
How may I help you?
1971 Monte Carlo SS454-496ci 600hp
1999 Trans Am-500hp
2003 Iszu Ascender XL Limited V8
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 16, 2:13 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

For a "100% street car" like you've stated, any one of the rear ends will take 700 HP easy since you'll never get enough traction in first gear to break anything in the rear end anyway. Even with drag radial tires you'll be lucky if you can even use half throttle in first gear without tire spin. BTW the S-60 rear has mounting ears for the upper control arms that are 1.5" taller than the ears which were on the factory GM 12 bolt rear that I took out of the car. I installed the Strange Engineering S-60 in my Chevelle. It's nice to know I have 35 spline axles, and a 9.75" diameter ring gear back there, but it's a street/strip build, NOT a street only car like yours is.

The one negative thing about the S-60/Dana 60 rear is that the pinion seems to be higher than that of a Ford 9" rear. So if you ever decide to lower the ride height, it can get tougher to obtain the correct driveline angles for U-joint longevity with the S-60 rear. I had the S-60 rear delivered to me with the optional 11" diameter rear disc brakes installed, which was a nice add-on. I also chose the 5/8" diameter wheel studs, Big Ford housing ends, and the heavy support cover.

70 Chevelle SS clone (632 CI powered).
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 16, 3:14 AM
Team Member
Rich

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyGman View Post
For a "100% street car" like you've stated, any one of the rear ends will take 700 HP easy since you'll never get enough traction in first gear to break anything in the rear end anyway. Even with drag radial tires you'll be lucky if you can even use half throttle in first gear without tire spin. BTW the S-60 rear has mounting ears for the upper control arms that are 1.5" taller than the ears which were on the factory GM 12 bolt rear that I took out of the car. I installed the Strange Engineering S-60 in my Chevelle. It's nice to know I have 35 spline axles, and a 9.75" diameter ring gear back there, but it's a street/strip build, NOT a street only car like yours is.

The one negative thing about the S-60/Dana 60 rear is that the pinion seems to be higher than that of a Ford 9" rear. So if you ever decide to lower the ride height, it can get tougher to obtain the correct driveline angles for U-joint longevity with the S-60 rear. I had the S-60 rear delivered to me with the optional 11" diameter rear disc brakes installed, which was a nice add-on. I also chose the 5/8" diameter wheel studs, Big Ford housing ends, and the heavy support cover.
Could not agree more. When you add slicks and a tacky surface it becomes a different ball game. This '67 Camaro had a factory 12-bolt housing in it and has been a race car for most of it's life...probably a million quarter-mile passes on it lol. The leaf spring perch's had been modified at some point in it's life and the housing was always about a half inch off to one side with no ill effect. We were in the middle of a refurbish on the car and my partner decided to spring for a new Moser bare housing...no real gain, but the housing is now centered under the car as it should be.

Engines used are from 450 to 700hp with auto transmissions. 60' times vary from 1.30 to 1.45 depending on engine installed using 30x9 radial slicks. About the only time I see a 12-bolt needing help is if using a stickshift and high rpm launches...a little reinforcing helps. Does not seem to matter who's gearset you use with a stick car they just eat ring and pinions...automatics are easy. Can't see a nickles difference in anyone's offering in a 12-bolt housing. If one is having a problem with a 12-bolt on the street it will usually be a bad set-up of the ring/pinion rather than the housing...even with 30-spline axles.

Rich

1967 El Camino
(under construction) http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=841082
post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 16, 9:15 PM
Senior Tech Team
Andrew

Nobody mentioned this, so I figure I would. The Dana 60 gears are still made by Dana and are OEM quality. This means much quieter gears than 12 bolt or 9" gears.

Andrew
Kirk's67SS likes this.

1970 GTO Version 2.0 in progress
V8TV Feature video
Popular Hotrodding feature
Car Craft feature
1967 Cougar LSx build

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets."
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 16, 11:18 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
Nobody mentioned this, so I figure I would. The Dana 60 gears are still made by Dana and are OEM quality. This means much quieter gears than 12 bolt or 9" gears.

Andrew
FWIW, I don't know if this still applies to this day, because maybe things have changed in the past 15 years, but a buddy of mine had a 70 Chevelle with 4.10 gears from Richmond, and they sure did make a whole lot of whining noise. I got a few rides in that car, and the rear end gears whined so much it was like being in some type of delivery truck made to carry heavy loads. And I don't believe it was due to the gears being set-up incorrectly, because if that were the case, the rear end would've likely failed within a 1,000 miles, (as far as I know). Several years afterwards when I was contemplating a rear gear change in my Vette, I called Richmond about that, and they told me that all their rear gears that are numerically higher than 3.90 will whine even when they're set-up correctly, due to the way they manufacture them. That didn't sound very impressive to me.
70CHEVELLE396 and Kirk's67SS like this.

70 Chevelle SS clone (632 CI powered).
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 16, 12:03 PM
Senior Tech Team
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyGman View Post
FWIW, I don't know if this still applies to this day, because maybe things have changed in the past 15 years, but a buddy of mine had a 70 Chevelle with 4.10 gears from Richmond, and they sure did make a whole lot of whining noise. I got a few rides in that car, and the rear end gears whined so much it was like being in some type of delivery truck made to carry heavy loads. And I don't believe it was due to the gears being set-up incorrectly, because if that were the case, the rear end would've likely failed within a 1,000 miles, (as far as I know). Several years afterwards when I was contemplating a rear gear change in my Vette, I called Richmond about that, and they told me that all their rear gears that are numerically higher than 3.90 will whine even when they're set-up correctly, due to the way they manufacture them. That didn't sound very impressive to me.
I went with Motive Gear and 3.42 gear and it's making some noise. I also have a 9" Ford rear in my Cougar with OEM 4.33 gears and it is dead quiet.

Andrew

1970 GTO Version 2.0 in progress
V8TV Feature video
Popular Hotrodding feature
Car Craft feature
1967 Cougar LSx build

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets."
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 16, 12:50 PM
Team Member
Rich

Garage

I can shut the car off and coast down the return road at the track and no whine...5.14 Richmond gear with at least 200 passes.

Rich

1967 El Camino
(under construction) http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=841082
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.