Team Chevelle banner

12 bolt cross shaft set screw broke, need advice

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  big gear head 
#1 ·
when going to pull my open diff today I pulled the set screw for the cross shaft, and found it to be snapped. Now if you can say I lucked out where the bolt snapped, on the set shaft and not the threads, thought I would get lucky and work it out with a magnet, but no dice. I need some suggestions, open to any advice. thanks in advance. jason.

#2 ·
I've had that problem before. If it's been like that a while, and has started letting the cross shaft move around, you're basically screwed, as it won't come out without breaking the diff. If you were changing it anyway, not a problem. If you didn't plan on changing it, you should start now. Good luck with it.

#4 ·
Jason this has worked for me several times. Most times there is one thread holding it in which is probably why your magnet didn't work. Clean the end of the pin by dumping some alcohol in the hole. After it dries place an arc welding rod in the hole, hook up the ground and then touch the stinger to end of the rod. Once the stick is attached to the pin you can unscrew it to remove.

#5 ·
everything I read is good advice, and now I'll share my .01 cents worth. Go to your tool box, and find a small pick. we have had some luck at my shop with trying to unscrew the remnants of the bolt with a pick. We have had to drill like someone mentioned. Try the pick. it is cheap and non destructive.
Chip

#6 ·
thanks for all the replys, there are no threads left, just the set pin, and it has probably been like this for a while as the shaft does rotate freely and not the spider gear spinning upon it, I tried pounding it out but no good, however although it sounds like a great idea the pin is broken right where it enters the shaft so I am a little weary about trying to weld an arc weld rod as I will probably weld everything else in the process, I am replacing with a posi so destroying the diff can be done but Im trying to salvage the ring gear and think It nearly impossible to remove the diff without toasting the gear, Ill give the drill trick a shot and let you know how it goes. thanks for all the advice, I will file it for future use reference. jason

#7 ·
ok guys, got the set pin out by drilling a pilot hole on the opposite side of cross shaft and pushed the remaining sheered pin out using a plastic spray nozzle; only to find I have a welded on spider gear on the cross shaft, tried everything including an air hammer to free the spider gear from the shaft, any recommendations to cut this damn thing off the cross shaft? thanks in advance.

#8 ·
Looks like it's time to break out the torch. Have you been doing a lot of one wheel burnouts? That is what causes the gears to weld themselves to the shaft. Your differential is trashed at this point and there is no reason to try to save it. Cut the shaft out any way that you can and start looking for another differential. You'll have to disassemble the rest of the rear end to clean it out before installing the new differential.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.