Flexplate to converter clearance - Chevelle Tech
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old May 24th, 03, 3:57 PM Thread Starter
Austin

I'm currently installing my second 396 in my car that hooks up to 700r4 transmission. My first motor had some problems that I won't get into now. When installing the motor and tranny the clearance from my torque converter and flexplate is about 5/16 of an inch. On my first motor I had less than 3/16" which is what it is suppose to be. The only things that have changed is my block, crank and torque converter (I went from a 3,000 stall to a 2200 stall). I'm not sure what my problem is seeing the torque converter is correct and the flexplate is a externally balance plate that worked great the first time. Also the company that put my motor together is very reputable and trust there work. Can I shim or do I need a different flexplate or??? Any insights would greatly be appreciated.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old May 24th, 03, 4:13 PM
Gold Founding Member
"Wild Bill"

Send a message via AIM to BillsCamino
I was told by my tranny guy that, with the TQ converter all the way back engaged in the pump, there should be no more than an 1/4" gap between the converter mount lugs and the flex plate.
If the gap is greater, according to him, it is acceptable to use spacers (washers) on the bolts, placed between the converter and the flexplate. This is to keep the converter "ears" fully engaged in the pump.
Again, I'm not a tranny guy. This is what I was told by a tech who has done trannys for many years...
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old May 24th, 03, 6:47 PM
Senior Tech Team

You want from 1/8" to 3/16" clearance before the bolts are drawn up. If you have to add in a spacer of some sort, there is one important thing to remember. That is to be 100% sure that the pilot on the converter still engages the hole in the back of the crank. If you space it out too far, and the pilot will not fit in far enough, you will have some big troubles. The simplist way is to take a flashlight and look up from below and see how far the pilot is engaged. Should it not fit, there are some alternatives, such as tack-welding a ring on the pilot to extend it. IMO, 1/4" is too much end play. It allows the drive gear for the pump to rock around, and if it is pulled out too much, it can rip the tangs off the pump. Too little end play will shove the drive gear of the front pump into the pump and tear it up also.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old May 24th, 03, 7:01 PM
Tech Team

Not to get off the subject but why are you using an externally balanced flexplate on a 396?
Torque converter manufacturing intolerances vary so that may explain the difference in clearance.

1975 Nova w/1966 427/manual th400, 11.8 @ 115mph.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old May 24th, 03, 8:26 PM Thread Starter
Austin

Thanks for the replies...

I will see how the pilot on the converter lines up to the crank after I shim 1/8". I hope this works.

Jay72...Sorry, I have my mind on a 454 that my buddy is building, which we have been working on in his garage. It is externally balanced...not the 396. I'm pretty sure though that both flexplates are the same except one is balanced? Correct me if I'm wrong...
Thanks
Austin
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old May 25th, 03, 1:05 AM
Senior Tech Team

If it does not fit in the crank enough, email me, I have some parts to help you out, or can explain what you need to do.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old May 25th, 03, 11:54 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally posted by Austin:

I'm pretty sure though that both flexplates are the same except one is balanced? Correct me if I'm wrong...
Thanks
Austin
You are correct.

1975 Nova w/1966 427/manual th400, 11.8 @ 115mph.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.